N-Europe

Better than the originals

Beast

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not just because they're my fave band, but...

Much more punchy than the original, which sounds a bit flat in comparison (and has inexplicable seagull noises in it).

Agreed.

Are you insane? Not a bad cover but the original is phenomenal.

battlestar_galactica_wallpaper_1920x1200.jpg

Too fraking right Ash, I was gonna go with some BSG loving but you were here first. The Caprica cancellation still hurts me deep though.

If we're sticking with TV for a mintute the new "V" I think is pretty awesome too. Hope it returns soon.

Musically I am very much aggainst covers, if someone can't write their own music they are in the wrong bussiness I say.

However there are a couple of exceptions, Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower (which according to the newer BSG was actually originally written over 152,000 years ago ;)) but that was already mentioned.

One other song whose cover version I really like is Sugarcoma's version of "You Drive Me Crazy" by Britney Spears... mainly cuz it takes a bad song and makes it good :)

Whaaa?? He sings it in monotone in the original! Not cool. And wtf is with the seagulls. :nono:

It's synthpop, cake! Monotone is the name of the game!!! Remember Joy Division? Talk Talk are still infulential giants to this day, while No Doubt just keep fading into obscurity at an ever more sluggish pace, come on!!!! :heh:

One other song whose cover version I really like is Sugarcoma's version of "You Drive Me Crazy" by Britney Spears... mainly cuz it takes a bad song and makes it good :)

Jesus, I haven't heard that in 10 years or so. I bought their CD at the time. It's a good thing we mature as time goes on... that manages to be even worse than the original, dear god. The only real purpose it could serve is to have a laugh. And that's what Ten Masked Men are for, this is just terrible.

It's synthpop, cake! Monotone is the name of the game!!! Remember Joy Division? Talk Talk are still infulential giants to this day, while No Doubt just keep fading into obscurity at an ever more sluggish pace, come on!!!! :heh:

Hey i like synthy stuff! But i just don't like that. It suits a more feisty vocal! Actually, i prefer feisty vocals generally, so i guess i was always gonna prefer the ND version.

Oh PFFFFF to the ND diss! I don't care about their chart positions, they are brill! They take their time with their albums, cos they don't do fillers!

Oh Goafer, for shame. How could you think that that is better than the original? Plus, it's in English. Sounds much better in the original German version by Nena.

As for what I think is better than the original, Placebo's cover of Running Up That Hill. I just don't like the original version but really like this one. Plus, I know Paj will get all defensive over the Kate Bush original and start moaning so thought it would be humorous :p

Oh Goafer, for shame. How could you think that that is better than the original? Plus, it's in English. Sounds much better in the original German version by Nena.

The last verse is in German if that helps?

And whilst we're on the subject of controversy:

(I don't think it's better BTW).

Spot the celebrities:

Edited by Goafer

Damn it, I ran out of thanks!

Also, regarding feeling good, here's my favourite cover of it (I never heard the true original, so in my mind, it's the Nina Simone version):

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees. I always forget about it, but when it comes on my iTunes, I'm just so struck.

Best version I've heard, at least. :heart:

---

I half love the original since it sounds like an insane old white woman fallen upon hard time, but Bjork's is the better track.

Still dislike that it's her most well-known song, since she even thought of it as a novelty song herself (which it is).