Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

When I Was Young....

Murr

I use to think that Band Aid - Feed the world lyrics were...

"Beaver World, Let them know it's Christmas time in BEAVER WORLD!!!"

Also, you know when you see the clouds moving in the sky,

I use to think that, that was the earth spinning and not the clouds moving.

:heh:

Anything that any of you guys/girls used to think, but later found out to be totally wrong?

While marching in the protest a few weeks ago I remembered when I was young I thought Scotland Yard was actually in Scotland and wondered what the hell an important place like that was doing in Scotland.

Yes, I had my doubts about Scotland at a young age.

While marching in the protest a few weeks ago I remembered when I was young I thought Scotland Yard was actually in Scotland and wondered what the hell an important place like that was doing in Scotland.

Scotland Yard isn't in Scotland???

Similarly...

I was aware of "Scotland Yard" from cartoons and films when I was very young, and I'm sure someone (a teacher/guardian/carer person) told me this dusty, arid, red part of a park in Edinburgh was called Scotland Yard. Maybe it is, but I have a feeling she was lying now. I probably asked her where Scotland Yard was, and fearing I would burst into tears if she admitted not knowing, made it up.

Cow.

Haha, also, whenever news reports come on saying "2 women held at gunpoint" or "A man held at knifepoint for 4 hours", my sister would get really flustered and ask "Why does anyone go to Knifrpoint or Gunpoint if this is what happens?!" :D

You'd probably not be surprised at how many times I was asked this in America. They were all convinced it was in a town called Scotland.

Haha, also, whenever news reports come on saying "2 women held at gunpoint" or "A man held at knifepoint for 4 hours", my sister would get really flustered and ask "Why does anyone go to Knifrpoint or Gunpoint if this is what happens?!" :D

Is your sister Seinfeld?

Dirty deeds done dirt cheap....or as I was younger dirty deeds in da thunder jeep.

I say when I was younger....but I still have a hard time making out lyrics.

When I was really young - about 5 or 6 I guess - according to my parents, when we were waiting in line inside a Post Office I walked up to a rather large woman and said to her...

'My... you're growing well!'

I don't actually have any real recollection of it but my parents certainly do as they apologised after to the woman in question who was... less than impressed at the time. :laughing:

And that's basically how I learned the difference between complementing and insulting someone.

:D

Apparently as a child I had a nasty habit of telling the truth about everything. Such as telling the vicar who were marrying my mum and dad when I was young that I had skipped school to go to alton towers and how bad I thought it was. Haha, my mum never lets me forget it.

I also used to think when I had a lot of dentist work that the dentist would inject into my tooth rather than the gums and that's why it didn't hurt.

...-.-

Apparently as a child I had a nasty habit of telling the truth about everything. Such as telling the vicar who were marrying my mum and dad when I was young that I had skipped school to go to alton towers and how bad I thought it was. Haha, my mum never lets me forget it.

I also used to think when I had a lot of dentist work that the dentist would inject into my tooth rather than the gums and that's why it didn't hurt.

...-.-

I've actually had an injection through the tooth. It hurts like fuck lol

When I was little and used to cross the road, people would tell me to 'wait for the green man'. Naturally ignoring the traffic lights, it took me some time to figure out that an actual green man didn't ever emerge from nearby and wave us over, it now being ok to cross the road.

When people said 'Put your seatbelt on or you'll go flying through the glass', I always used to think that a pint glass would appear on the road and I would go flying through that.

My mind struggled with roads apparently.

Speaking of roads, when on a motorway did anyone used to picture a person running alongside the car? I used to do that all the time but I can't remember who the person was, could have been me. My brother did it too so now I'm curious.

I always imagined a small guy, maybe Sonic (I think he's the only one able to keep up :heh:), running along the car on the fence, jumping and running over trees, poles and other obstacles.

I still do occasionally. :heh: I think platform games have done this to me! :p

Speaking of roads, when on a motorway did anyone used to picture a person running alongside the car? I used to do that all the time but I can't remember who the person was, could have been me. My brother did it too so now I'm curious.

Totally did this.

If we were just driving through a town or whatever I'd play lemmings in my mind while looking across to the pavement.