Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Tim Burton

Paj!

Thoughts, musings and opinions on the life and works of Tim Burton.

tim-burton-art.jpg

Are you a fan of nuBurton, with his cgi, murky backdrops and insistance on using family and friends in every film? Or are you a fan of classic Burton, before he got too self-indulgent? [/opinion]

Or do you not like him at all?

And what about his non-film work?

I'm interested.

Came up because Batman Returns is and always will be one of my favourite films ever, with two of my favourite performances (Michelle Pfieffer and Danny DeVito. Walken is also pretty awesome).

batman_returns.jpg

*bows down*

But I realised I never really think of that Burton as being the same as current Burton.

And what about Planet of the Apes?!

Tim Burton Filmography

Haven't seen all of his movies, but have seen enough to make sure I'm automatically interested in his upcoming projects. But I don't make a distinction between "current" & "past" Burton, however, now you mention it.. I was quite disappointed with Alice in wonderland.

I would love a Tim Burton version of The Wizard of Oz. Then again, since you mentioned it.. Without all the CGI, and some other actors would be nice (despite how great Depp & Bonham Carter are). And also, no songs.

Perhaps Gilliam should make a Wizard of Oz.

Perhaps I should make a Wizard of Oz.

Hmmz. I have an interesting video of a Q&A I attended. In order to get a ticket for that, I missed the opportunity to get an autograph, but the Q&A made up for it. 't was fun. It was a big file, so I never uploaded it (and horrible sound quality). But my internet is a bit faster than it used to be, and I have dropbopx now.. I'll see if I can make it available, if I can find it somewhere.

I like his older work more then the newer, I guess because back then I wasn't tired of his style then, case in point being Alice In Wonderland, it was the one of the most average film I have ever seen, way too much stolve over substance.

On the other hand, Big Fish and Ed Wood are easily my favorite films when it comes to Burton (Right after the Batmans).

There is just something so incredibly sweet about those films.

As emo as it makes me sound i LOVE Nightmare before Christmas!

Beetlejuice and Edward Scissor hands are both awesome, and i really like Mars Attacks.

Corpse Bride... meh watchable, i own it on dvd, Sweeny Todd another meh, not the biggest fan.

Didn't like his take on Alice in wonderland at all, really didn't like it.

to sum it up i guess..... He got worse with his newer films.

I'm a Burton fan. I love the Nightmare Before Christmas (before it became the emo fashion), Batman movies, Beetlejuice, Sweeney Todd, Edward Scissorhands, Alice in Wonderland and Corpse Bride. I also like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Sleepy Hollow.

I think nuBurton is rubbish. nuBurton being Sweeny Todd, Alice, Corpse Bride etc.

Well not rubbish, justy offensively average.

Nightmare Before Christmas isn't emo...it's a Disney film about christmas. The merchandise has just been packaged and aimed at 12 year olds who think they're emo.

Edward Scissorhands is good, I always forget about that. Haven't seen Beetlejuice in ages but I remember liking it.

I think nuBurton is rubbish. nuBurton being Sweeny Todd, Alice, Corpse Bride etc.

Well not rubbish, justy offensively average.

Nightmare Before Christmas isn't emo...it's a Disney film about christmas. The merchandise has just been packaged and aimed at 12 year olds who think they're emo.

Edward Scissorhands is good, I always forget about that. Haven't seen Beetlejuice in ages but I remember liking it.

Yeah I know, that was what I meant, lol. I hate how it's known as an emo brand though! That's one thing I do hate. I like how more people recognise the movie but I hate that it's an 'emo' movie now. Kids in school nowaday think this and it pisses me off.

Batman, Beetle Juice, Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Mars Attacks and Sleepy Hollow are all great.

Big Fish was alight.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland where both disappointing.

Planet of The Apes was shit.

I'm not counting Nightmare before Christmas because he didn't direct it.

Tim Burton is style over substance. A very tired style now.

I'm more of the same opinion.

I used to love Tim burton, Edward scissorhands is one of my favourite movies, beetlejuice, corpse bride, all of them are really good.

But now he's gone overboard, instead of making good movies, he's re-making films just because he must know that his style makes him an absolute fortune.

There are still quite a few Burton movies I've not seen, so I can't speak for all his work. However, from what I have seen the man is still capable of delivering incredible movies. His stuff is always worth checking out and although not perfect, still provides an other worldly feel not many other directors can match.

Alice in Wonderland was a fairly enjoyable, if not somewhat forgettable, movie. I think I'll always try to see new Burton pictures because I have so much love for a lot of his older work.

Don't people do this THEIR NEW STUFF IS SHIT thing to every single director known to man?

Don't people do this THEIR NEW STUFF IS SHIT thing to every single director known to man?

His new stuff is shit.

I hate that argument. "Doesn't everyone say x about every other x???!?!". Only rubbishies do. Just listen to the people saying it whose opinions you hold dear.

Tim Burton = Meh. Was once good but then... Tom Cruise said it best.

By taking what Muhammad has, we could all be safe from ridicule. Like Tim Burton here. Imagine it Tim; Nobody could rip on you for all the rehashed movies you've made lately. There'd never be a TV show that pointed out that you have never had an original idea since beetlejuice. And you put Johnny Depp and all the same crappy music in every film. And if you're that in love with Johnny Depp, then you should just have sex with him already. a TV show could never say that!

Do you hate the story in general or just his take on it?

It's not one of Dahl's best (even if it's probably his most popular) but Burton's take on it was really bad. The first film of his that I saw and actually just outright disliked from the start. It had nothing good going for it. Depp was bad in it, the songs were stupid, it wasn't funny, or creepy. It was just... nothing. Exactly like Alice in Wonderland.

Plus, nothing could've topped Gene Wilder as Wonka. It was a lost cause.

I love Batman Returns, Big Fish, Nightmare Before Christmas, Beetlejuice. There is a very clear divide between the good and the bad.

I love his Batman films. Particularly Returns. Perfect. Keaton really nailed Batman, the look, the suit, the charisma. Love that film.

I fucking hated Planet of the Apes, though. The ending was quite cool, but the film itself is a bucket of sick.

he CANT do remakes.

Beyond that though I like most of his movies.

Batman 1 is fantastic.

I love the fact Prince does the soundtrack to the first Batman.

Of all people to soundtrack Batman, why him? :D I quite like Batdance though. Apparently it was no.1?! So random.

And then you add to the mix that they got the Smashing Pumpkins to write a song for: "Batman & Robin"

It would be a lot more believable if it was the opposite.

Oh! :o I honestly never knew he directed that Batman movie. I've seen it twice and loved it :D Michelle Pfeffer(?) is amazing in it, a much better catwoman than Halle Berry.

I've never followed him much so I don't have much expectations for his movies. Therefor, I think I enjoy them more. I've always enjoyed his stuff anyway :)

One of the main reasons? Helena Boham Carter. A goddess amongst mankind. I find her pretty sexy...in a strange way...I want to be just like her when I grow up...