N-Europe

Worms

Ashley

A random offshoot of another topic; Worms!

Worms.png

Everyone's favourite games whereby you name worms after your friends and then blow them up.

Favourite games? Weapons? Accent?

I used to love this series when I was young and I seem to always end up with a copy on each new console, although I only play them once.

Worms: Armageddon is the king of all Worms games. Everything about it is perfect, the physics, the customization, the weapons, the feel and look. One of my favourite games of all time.

My favourite weapon was always the Super Sheep. To see it don the cape with a hearty "Baa!" and fly around the map collecting crates before piling in to the enemy and blasting them to smithereens..epic. Still, the only reason it holds the number 1 slot for me is because the Ninja Rope isn't technically a weapon. I love that thing.

As for voice...the Cheese sound set on the new Worms games is hilarious. "Brie-lliant!"; "You Cheddar run while you had the chance"' "Witness my Kraft.." and so on. Love it :D But my all-time favourite is probably the Whoopsie soundbank from WA. "There were batteries left.."

I remember playing Worms on the PS1, not exactly sure which one. But I could understand the appeal, it just looked ugly and took a while to set up.

Then I played Worms 3D on the Gamecube, and really really liked it. The campaign actually had some really fun levels, and the retro-quirkyness appealed greatly to me. It got bad reviews unfortunately. :/

Checked out Worms PSN when it released. Very good, except the omission of the parachute! How dare they!? Plus it lacked a fair few options and stuff, the maps are usually a bit too congested and weapons probably do too much environment damage.... But what the heck, it has online, so it's good enough for me.

It must be about a decade ago now but my friends and I used to play Worms Armageddon loads on the PS1.. it was great fun :yay:

Most of the time we selected a map out in the open (for air strikes, carpet bombs, mail bombs etc..) with plent of little areas for tunnelling :hehe: I'm pretty sure the name of the weapon set we used was 'Arms Race' as it pretty much had everything we wanted.. and the more powerful weapons didn't become available to later in the round! The first few goes were all about getting as many of your worms as possible into hard to reach places using drills, blow torches, girders and manic rope skills before the real mayhem began with homing missiles, super sheep, dynamite and holy grenades...

HALLELUJAH!

Worms Armageddon is one of my favourite games of all time. Ninja Rope, Super Sheep, Banana Bomb, Holy Hand Grenade! :grin:

For some reason, my version was in Portuguese, and I still don't know if it was a hack or a legitimate, if obscure, Brazillian version. Either way, the Brazillian voices were hilarious, as well as the common Portuguese text.

One of my fondest memories of Worms (besides the several attempts at Super Sheep and Ninja Rope) was that mission where you had to use the Bow&Arrow to climb the Eiffel Tower. It was immense.

I've been playing it. It's alright, but nothing on WWP/W:A. Graphically very pretty and some of the new weapons (Ferrets! Termites!) are really good fun but I'm missing things like the Aqua Sheep, Patsy's MAgic Bullet, the French Sheep Strike and the Carpet Bomb. Plus there are numerous little niggles with the game that prevent me from fully enjoying it.

Worms: Open Warfare 2 on the DS is brilliant, had many a fantastic night with Coolness Bears, mr-paul and welsh_gamer blowing the bejesus out of each other with explosive sheep!

I'm also a massive fan of the PS1 spin-off/spiritual off-spring, Hogs of War. It's a shame that we probably won't see Hogs of War 2 on the Wii, it was due out over a year ago...

I'm also a massive fan of the PS1 spin-off/spiritual off-spring, Hogs of War. It's a shame that we probably won't see Hogs of War 2 on the Wii, it was due out over a year ago...

RIP indeed, Hogs of War was an absolutely blast to play. It's actually what Valkyria Chronicles' battles system is most reminiscent of to me.I wonder if I still have my old copy somewhere....I should try and dig it up for my nephew(and myself) to play.

The 'snowman and I recently tried to play Hogs of War, a game I have relatively fond memories of.. but it just didn't seem to hold up so well now :hmm: Having said that, it's probably because we didn't really know what we were doing any more and couldn't get into it..

Pexy Sigs vs Sausage Slot was not a fun encounter :indeed:

Worms: Open Warfare 2 on the DS is brilliant, had many a fantastic night with Coolness Bears, mr-paul and welsh_gamer blowing the bejesus out of each other with explosive sheep!

HOGS OF WAR

HOGS OF WAR

HOGS OF WAR.

You've got me chanting that now. :grin: My friend and I never had the game but we used to play the demo!

You've totally reminded me that a) we used to have good times on Open Warfare 2 and b) that game exists, I don't think I played single player since I was so wrapped up Multiplayer. :D

*digs out the game.*

I'm off to play it now! Can't get me enough of them worms.

Worms 2 is obviously the best with 8 delicious worms to murder brutally. Excellent game many hours were put in to this when I was younger with my friend each of our worms were given names which were hilarious at the time! :D

A lot of great moments.

*wipes away a tear of nostalgia*

My favourite weapons were the Holy hand Grenade, Super Banana Bomb and the Ninja Rope, particularly when they backfired and you ended up blowing up or drowing your own worms, hilarity!

My friend recently bought Worms 2 again on the XBLA which is also good. :) Some fantastic games already including me shouting YOU WON'T BE LAUGHING ONCE I'VE SMOKED OUT YOUR NAN! :p

Worms is apart of me then and now. I want the XBLA version myself but only if I had live so I could smash new people with my team showing them how a true player tries to dynamite a worm into the sea attempts to jump out of the way, gets directly in the line of fire, gets blown up into a mine which explodes into a hazard barrel and burns the remaining live cells of the worm.

LONG LIVE THE WIGGLE BANDITS. : peace:

A couple of friends and I got pretty addicted to Worms 2 for the PC... that was back during primary school...

Super Banana Bomb was the best weapon by miles. Before they patched it, you could easily get 365 damage with one.

I used to make "skill" maps where you started with 1 worm each, teleport, 1 cluster bomb, infinite bazooka and grenades, girders and nothing else. I designed the map so that each player had to start on a designated sport (via the teleoprt) on one half of the map and use just the weapons you had to finish off the one opponent.

Also I used to have fun messing with teh game settings, making handguns fire huge explosive blasts like missiles :D

A couple of friends and I got pretty addicted to Worms 2 for the PC... that was back during primary school...

Super Banana Bomb was the best weapon by miles. Before they patched it, you could easily get 365 damage with one.

I used to make "skill" maps where you started with 1 worm each, teleport, 1 cluster bomb, infinite bazooka and grenades, girders and nothing else. I designed the map so that each player had to start on a designated sport (via the teleoprt) on one half of the map and use just the weapons you had to finish off the one opponent.

Also I used to have fun messing with teh game settings, making handguns fire huge explosive blasts like missiles :D

Worms 2 was just such fun. I remember getting some sort of hack for it that let me modify the number of bananas coming out of the banana bomb (even worked online). Watching over a hundred bananas come out, accompanied by multiple "WTF?!" was such fun.

Aside from that I really liked playing skillfully, too. Judging by Worms Reloaded, I've lost pretty much all the skill I once had though...

I've only ever played the original Worms, I had it back on the PC and it was some of the most fun ever!!!... EVER!!!

For what ever reason it lost some of it's appeal when they changed up the visuals for Worms 2 and went all cartoony, but I'm sure they're all still fantatsic games!

Actually I may have played one of the sequels at a friends.

Used to love the intro movies...

Then I played Worms 3D on the Gamecube, and really really liked it. The campaign actually had some really fun levels, and the retro-quirkyness appealed greatly to me. It got bad reviews unfortunately. :/

I thought Worms 3D was great aswell. Superb multiplayer without only one controller needed, and like you say the single player was pretty decent and challenging.

I haven't felt the need to play another Worms game since, 3D does me just fine.