Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Unlikely Dislikes

Diageo

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but it isn't loud to you, even if you can make it out, it is easy to tune it out.

I don't understand that bit. Of course it's loud. I can hear the music you are playing through your headphones. If I'm sat next to you, then I probably will hear something. But sitting a dozen or so rows down the carriage and still being able to hear the stuff coming out of there. That's loud.

I don't understand that bit. Of course it's loud. I can hear the music you are playing through your headphones. If I'm sat next to you, then I probably will hear something. But sitting a dozen or so rows down the carriage and still being able to hear the stuff coming out of there. That's loud.

I wear earphones, and on trains people at a distance of at most 3 metres can hear it. And it isn't loud, at least not as loud as in my ears. I don't know about headphones but the people I see on trains that have their volume on full blast on their earphones. It is not loud at all for other people, you can make out the song, but it isn't loud and easy to ignore.

I wear earphones, and on trains people at a distance of at most 3 metres can hear it. And it isn't loud, at least not as loud as in my ears. I don't know about headphones but the people I see on trains that have their volume on full blast on their earphones. It is not loud at all for other people, you can make out the song, but it isn't loud and easy to ignore.

No it's actually really annoying to hear the music from someone else's headphones. No matter how soft or loud it is, it's just annoying and in my opinion quite inconsiderate of other people around you.

Plus you're just damaging your ears to have your music that loud.

How exactly is that not loud, if you can make out the song clearly from 3 metres away? Remember, these are headphones/earphones. They're supposed to allow only you to listen to the music. Its not a case of it being "easy to ignore." Its really annoying, especially first thing in the morning or when you're getting the train from work in the afternoon/evening.

There was a bloke on the train the other week who played music straight out of his phone speakers. There were a few of us looking at each other, clearly annoyed, but also clearly too tired to get up and make a confrontation.

Yeah, I'm the same. I always feel really self-conscious that other people can hear what I'm listening to and are annoyed about it. So I just end up turning it down real low but enough to hear it.

Due to the fact that I listen to stuff like Ella Fitzgerald on my i-pod is another reason why I don't particularly want other people to listen, and probably judge :p

When people use google instead of just typing an address into the address bar. Somehow people seem to have forgotten one of the fundamentals of the world wide web over the last few years: how to use the location bar to get to the website you need. Not helped by the fact that some like BBC's "Newsbeat" actively encourage it by telling their listeners to "type newsbeat and <whatever> into their search engine to find out more", only fueling the ignorance. Google recently walked around Times Square and asked people what browser they use, and most people didn't even know what a browser was, several people said "I use the google".

When people text things that should be solved by phone call.

Picking up on that last point; when people reply to a text with a phone call. There's a reason I've chosen to text you rather than ring (unless the text happens to be "free for a call") and its usually because I can't speak.

When people don't reply to texts yet will pick up the phone as soon as I ring. Gah.

Could be worse. My sister never picks up her cellphone when I ring, but send her a text, and she replies in 10 seconds. It's always the same thing.

When people use google instead of just typing an address into the address bar. Somehow people seem to have forgotten one of the fundamentals of the world wide web over the last few years: how to use the location bar to get to the website you need. Not helped by the fact that some like BBC's "Newsbeat" actively encourage it by telling their listeners to "type newsbeat and <whatever> into their search engine to find out more", only fueling the ignorance. Google recently walked around Times Square and asked people what browser they use, and most people didn't even know what a browser was, several people said "I use the google".

My boss does that. I've pointed it out to him but he doesn't seem to realise how odd it is. He even googles our company to get to our website.

If you visit websites frequently, then browsers (I assume they all do it now) remember them. For example, to get to Facebook I type "f" in the address bar and hit enter. Much easier then typing in "www.google.com", typing in "Facebook", hitting "Search" and clicking on the Facebook link.

Speaking of that, I generally dislike bookmarks for simple links. They're fine to save a link to a product page, but I don't like using them for regular links.

And this probably isn't an "unlikely" dislike, but I hate it when someone asks me to show them how to do something on a computer. It takes a surprising amount of effort so show someone something without utterly confusing them by using keyboard shortcuts that are so natural to you.

Yeah but it isn't loud to you, even if you can make it out, it is easy to tune it out.

Wow, you're a douche. I really, really can't stand people who have their music loud enough for me to hear when they're using head/earphones. If anything, just being able to here the hint of the bass is much, much more irritating than people playing music loud on their phone.

I know it's not exactly an unlikely dislike, but (non-accidental) queue jumpers risk getting ripped limb-from-limb when attempting to cut in ahead of me (or, indeed, behind), especially when failing to heed a warning. On particularly shameless guy in Venezia in the queue for San Marco's cut in just behind me. After just "OK"ing away the complaints of the people behind, attempted to push his way past me. After a few rounds of my best nonchalant blocking actions, it became a little more energetic, and he kept ducking and weaving trying to get past my friend I, causing us to have to both keep moving from side to side, and back to the centre to stop him, the cheeky bastard. In the end, he physically pushed Matt (my travelling companion) out of the way and tried to pull Matt round behind him, which was something of a hair-trigger - we simultaneously each grabbed an arm, and lifted him up over the barrier and dumped him out of the queue. Getting an applause from the next 20-odd people behind us was rather rewarding. :awesome:

Still, at least he wasn't playing music too loud on earphones, the cheeky bitch.

On the browser-gripes front: my dad is a serial offender when it comes to typing in "www.google.com", and then searching for what he wants, even though I've told him a million times that even on IE (which he religiously sticks to, and then complains when it's shit) you can just type what you're looking for into the address bar, or indeed, the search bar on the right.

Also: people who refuse to bookmark things (my mother is the worst for this). She'll find something she wants to go back to later, then just close the window. After I have a mini-panic, and try and take over the computer and get into the browser history to find it again, she'll protest, and insist she knows how to get back to it by "looking up this in Google, and then going to the 7th page, and it's the 3rd result down. Then you click this link, then that one, then this one, then select this from the drop down box, then find this link at the bottom of the page". What's worse is that she emails me things with these instructions - why not just paste the fucking URL!?

Edited by The fish

I play my music loud, I can't help it, I'm very aware that people can help it a tiny bit, but then can't I just complain about those who talk very loudly on the bus or who use their mobiles?

There's this thing called a volume switch on most mp3 players and phones these days, I'm told...

People who talk VERY LOUDLY are annoying, especially when they're on the phone, and even more especially when it's a typical M3 driver and it's a conversation that goes along the lines of, "HI PHIL, IT'S MIKE. I'M ON THE 14:31 OUT OF WATERLOO, MY EARLIER ETA ESTIMATE OF 15:06 HAS TO BE SCRAPPED - THERE'S BEEN A POINTS FAILURE AT CLAPHAM JUNCTION, SO MY NEW ETA IS 15:13. YEAH, I KNOW, I LOVE BEING OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD TOO! OH, AND IF JOHN CALLS, TELL HIM I'M STILL A TOTAL FUCKWIT. ACE! SEE YOU A THE BOARD MEETING TOMORROW!"

This lyric pisses me off:

"lets pretend that aeroplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars..."

Why would you pretend something is like something? Aeroplanes are already like shooting stars, you should be pretending that they are shooting stars.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!