Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Studio Ghibli

Ashley

might just post my ghibli collection

DSC00651.jpg

Origonaly Spirited Away wasn't numbered, just rebought it so it mached the others. Thinking about doing the same with Grave of the Fireflies. Also need to buy a few others. I want to finish this collection god damn it!!

Edited by martinist

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ghibli films are some of my favourites. I'd say my favourite is Spirited Away, simply because it captures an atmosphere that is unmatched by anything else. Really like Princess Mononoke, Laptua, Howl's Moving Castle...

Grave of the Fireflies is brilliant, but oh so very sad. A bit too sad to bring me back time and time again. Quite depressing in all honesty.

I like Ponyo and love Totoro, but other than that I've never fully enjoyed a Ghibli movie. I never for a moment understood what, other than the animation itself, was great about Spirited Away and whilst Mononoke started strongly I felt that it quickly devolved into a barrage of inexplicable craziness.

I rewatched this last night. It was okay, or at least what I was in the mood for at the time; something uncomplicated. Humourous moments and Kristen Bell voice always wins.

You watch Ghibli movies in... English? Ugh. My mind = blown.

The last good anime thing I watched was The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. That's not Ghibli though is it?

Nope it's not, but it's a brilliant film, if a little... sentimental towards the end.

I think my favourite is Spirited Away. More because it got me properly into anime I think than anything else. I still remember watching it around Goafers house with the surround sound on and being amazed at the rain.

My first ghibli was spirited away and I love it so!

I wish Film4 would do a Studio Ghibli season again. Watching that got me into Japanese anime. An area which I very much ignored up to that point..

Tbh, I think they should just do a general anime season! Or have like one a week(they used to show ghibli on occasion halfway through the day sometimes in the week), a regular slot for an anime/animated film would be cool. I like anime and stuff, but there's so much of it it's quite hard to venture into without knowing where to start. Of course, everybody will tell you where to start, and it's always a different place :p!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ine has been telling me to watch Grave of the Fireflies, so we watched it quite recently. I loved it. It's amazing how alive that the characters felt, despite you knowing that its a film, an animation. Great storytelling.

Is where the sister, Setsuko is taken to the doctors by Seita because she is really sick. The doctor says that all she needs is food, which causes Seita to become angry, asking how can he obtain food.

Great film, and I'll probably watch some more Ghibli in the future. This was my first film.

Graves is amazing. So unlike their others (much bleaker, obviously) but a wonderful film. It really holds it own as a truly great World War II film.

When we first see their mother all burned and bandaged up. I've seen more horrific things in live action films but there was something about that shot...

Graves is amazing. So unlike their others (much bleaker, obviously) but a wonderful film. It really holds it own as a truly great World War II film.

When we first see their mother all burned and bandaged up. I've seen more horrific things in live action films but there was something about that shot...

That bit did get me.

I didn't cry the first time, but that's probably due to me taking the story in. When I think about films after watching them, you take in more things that you don't the first time around, such as "what that scene really meant", etc.

On a second viewing, I'll probably bawl my eyes out.

I cried my eyes out after watching it again (third viewing I think). It's so so sad. And you feel so powerless because you want to help them but you can't. =(

As for other Ghibli films, I only own Spirited Away, but I've seen most of them. Might start purchasing them at some point. Those new covers look pretty nice by the way. =)

I cried my eyes out after watching it again (third viewing I think). It's so so sad. And you feel so powerless because you want to help them but you can't. =(

As for other Ghibli films, I only own Spirited Away, but I've seen most of them. Might start purchasing them at some point. Those new covers look pretty nice by the way. =)

I feel sorry for Setsuko the most. At times, I felt quite angry with her brother, although you do forget just how young he is meant to be throughout the film.

Those Japanese covers are amazing! If they release them in west i will almost certainly buy the whole lot of them.

I'm currently attempting to watch Nausicaa, keep getting about half way through when for numerous reasons I have to stop. I like it very much so far though.

Two new Japanese Ghibli Blu-Rays have been announced: Castle in the Sky and My Neighbours the Yamadas. They, along with Nausicaa, have some of the most sexual box arts ever:

castle-sky-bd.jpgyamadas-bd.jpgImage10.jpg

Do want. Bluray Ghibli would be one of the best things ever too, come to think of it. And I don't even care for HD normally.

I need to watch more Ghibli, I adore Spirited Away.. Grave of the Fireflies slightly underwhelmed me, I guess because it had been built so much up to be the saddest thing ever but it didn't quite work for me.

also I have no soul

And Kiki's is obviously incredibly cute. And we'll ignore Earthsea.

I have Laputa and Howl's on DVD and haven't watched either. I am a bad person.

On an Anime films related note - has anyone seen Summer Wars? Considering it's by the team who did Girl Who Leapt Through Time I pretty much need to see it. Dunno if it's subbed or what yet.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!