N-Europe

Film Club :: Current Film = Primer

Daft

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I've really wanted to see Mulholland Drive for a while now. Started watching it once, but something came up.

Seconded!

One of my favourites.

I'd actually want to see what the concensus on a mass watching of Inland Empire would be like...but Mulholland Drive is a good Lynchian start.

Has everyone seen This Is England?

I'm with ReZ! I vote for this!

I want the old film thread back. =(

I don't like this idea.

I want it back as well but I do like the idea. Is it locked forever then?

Yes. :grin:

I agree with this idea and shall join in. :)

I'll watch the movie tomorrow evening since I've got work in a short while and then again tomorrow morning!

I need this to get me watching more movies since my friend is about 6 movies in front of me and I need to overtake him again. :D I used to be ahead, damn him for watching Clown Horror.

*sees thread, skips to the end*

AWESOME idea! If only someone had tried-but-failed it two years ago!

Totally up for it. Seen primer plenty of times and downloaded Fountain recently as I've been dying to watch it... and I trust your movie taste so this should be good!

Primer:

A boring, confusing mess of a film. I went into watching it not knowing what to expect, and that was a massive failure. I understood the basic concept of it all but came out of it so confused that I had to Wikipedia it afterwards to get the details.

I'm not surprised it's got a cult following, but that's probably a very small minority. JUst not explained, and I was waiting for a 'dum dum dum' moment but it never happened.

Ugh

1/10

I don't like film club :( What a terrible film to start on!

Do you think that this should maybe have a bit longer between movies? Like two weeks or more. Once every week seems a bit of a short time if people actually want to go the proper route and buy or rent the movies.
I think a week is probably better, otherwise the thread will feel like it's dragging.

Could always join in on a films discussion at a later date,

Or if we always plan a couple of weeks ahead with the list people could rent a 2 or 3 movies at a time?!...

Didn't this happen before? (Along with a book club?)

Anyway my suggestion is Into the Wild. Not sure how many people have seen it.

Has everyone seen This Is England?

Yes.

Also the go along with the new forum ideal would it not be better to have a separate thread for each film/week? And maybe keep this one open for suggestions.

Do you think that this should maybe have a bit longer between movies? Like two weeks or more. Once every week seems a bit of a short time if people actually want to go the proper route and buy or rent the movies.

That's why I'm going to list the following week's film too (and probably the week after that, too). So there is two weeks notice.

We'll see how it goes. If a week turns out to be too short I'll make it two.

This week is Primer (Absurdly short notice, it was always going to be. It is on StageVu if needs be.)

Next week, starting Tuesday 3rd, The Fountain.

fountain_poster_1.jpg

The week after, Tuesday 10th will be, Cronos.

923745.jpg

Edited by Daft

Well if this thread goes somewhere and stays open then I have some nice suggestions.

You can't have a film thread without some Alfred Hitchcock movies! Even though I adore most of his movies, I think some good movies to suggest would be, obviously, Psycho. That movie is so legendary that you only need 2 words to sum it up, Shower Scene.

I also thought Strangers on a Train is a fantastic movie and well worth a watch.

Well if this thread goes somewhere and stays open then I have some nice suggestions.

You can't have a film thread without some Alfred Hitchcock movies! Even though I adore most of his movies, I think some good movies to suggest would be, obviously, Psycho. That movie is so legendary that you only need 2 words to sum it up, Shower Scene.

Meh, I'd rather watch something good, not 'interesting because it's old'.

I never got the 'big deal' with Psycho... I'd say it's more a film to maybe teach wannabe directors their art. It's a film they had us watch on my Arts Foudation course as part of film studies... others included scenes from Blade Runner and Apocalypse Now.

Primer:

A boring, confusing mess of a film. I went into watching it not knowing what to expect, and that was a massive failure. I understood the basic concept of it all but came out of it so confused that I had to Wikipedia it afterwards to get the details.

I'm not surprised it's got a cult following, but that's probably a very small minority. JUst not explained, and I was waiting for a 'dum dum dum' moment but it never happened.

Ugh

1/10

Agreed! I started watching this with my girlfriend earlier. Needless to say, about 25 minutes in and we couldn't watch anymore. It was actually a chore to listen to what they were saying and we derived no enjoyment from what we saw. It's such a terrible direction to take; explaining little and having groups of people ranting jibberish back and forth.