NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Experimental thread lock

Your new Robyn thread is a perfect example of why the Music Thread is under experimentation. Anyone who cares about it will talk about it. Also! Because it wasn't one of a trillion videos on one page, I actually sat and listened to the songs you offered. Now that I know I do not like the music, I will Stay Away From Thread.

So in a sense, your post, now a thread, will get more 'recognition' then it did when it was part of The Music Thread.

In other words; deal.

Unless anyone actually has any actual input or constructive comments, can we stop posting in here just to say "don't like it". Substantiate your point.

Ta!

...But I did. I said I feel it's going to lead to less topics than would normally appear had it been in a larger thread. So my point was in fact substantiated. I didn't just say "Omg likz I hate the new layout innit".

I feel it's either going to lead to what I said previously (had you actually read what I said), or lead to the complete opposite and lead to a huge amount of new threads causing even more conversation to be missed because a new thread has quickly been pushed to a second page...somewhere I'm sure a lot of people don't venture unless they're looking for something specific.

Colour me confused.

Edited by Slaggis

I'd say the results speak for themselves. There's been more threads, more people posting and more discussion on this forum in the last two days than in the last two months before we shut the threads down.*

giant+bowl2.jpg

HYPER BOWL

I think general chat actually looks a mess with all these new threads, just things like too many bands getting their own threads is taking up a lot of room. I think there needs to be some middle ground found for it to work well. Like how we have the Comics thread back for the normal discussion but that hasnt stopped the Comic Con, Invincible or other comic related threads popping up and being posted in.

I'd say the results speak for themselves. There's been more threads

No shit? You closed the rest.

more people posting and more discussion on this forum in the last two days than in the last two months before we shut the threads down.

This does sound interesting, are there any stats we can see?

I think general chat actually looks a mess with all these new threads, just things like too many bands getting their own threads is taking up a lot of room. I think there needs to be some middle ground found for it to work well. Like how we have the Comics thread back for the normal discussion but that hasnt stopped the Comic Con, Invincible or other comic related threads popping up and being posted in.

What about some way of identifying the general topic of each thread at a glance. Custom icons, or something like that?

What about some way of identifying the general topic of each thread at a glance. Custom icons, or something like that?

This is what I asked for a few pages back. Different thread icons. Lightbulb is pretty pointless, as are cool glasses and ....essay/document. Swap them for Book/Comic, Film Reel and maybe Musical Note.

Would be teh lulz.

You do know that if you hover over the title of each thread you can read the first couple of lines? Surely this can tell you more than an icon would.

I'm indifferent to the change at the moment, the initial shock has worn off, but I do still miss the user image gallery and the "rate" threads.

You do know that if you hover over the title of each thread you can read the first couple of lines? Surely this can tell you more than an icon would.

I'm indifferent to the change at the moment, the initial shock has worn off, but I do still miss the user image gallery and the "rate" threads.

That's not quite what I'm getting at. I already know about that, and I can usually tell what a thread is about with just reading the title. It would be nice though to be able to tell just at a glance if a thread is about music, ect. so its easier to find the threads that interest you. Its just a small thing, but it would make a huge difference for many people.

we understand that people are finding it hard to go cold-turkey without the old threads. We understand that change is scary. We understand that (re-)adjusting to this format of forum is not easy at first.

...But I did. I said I feel it's going to lead to less topics than would normally appear had it been in a larger thread. So my point was in fact substantiated. I didn't just say "Omg likz I hate the new layout innit".

I feel it's either going to lead to what I said previously (had you actually read what I said), or lead to the complete opposite and lead to a huge amount of new threads causing even more conversation to be missed because a new thread has quickly been pushed to a second page...somewhere I'm sure a lot of people don't venture unless they're looking for something specific.

Colour me confused.

That's not a substantiated point, that's your opinion on what you feel the future might hold. We're saying (again and again) that this is not a permanent system, that we are weighing things up and ETC.

Any old conversation that we would've 'missed' has been replaced by plenty of new conversation that we have HERE and NOW that wouldn't've been spurred into creation in the old system.

What we want from the forum in this thread is not "aww bring it back, because of this reason or that". We want "hmm... have you thought about trying this thing?" -- some neutral, focused, insightful thinking rather than tantrums and sadfaces.

While we may not have directly responded to all suggestions as far (ReZ, we heard ya, don't worry), we modders do read all the posts here, it just hurts our brains to have to read the same picket-line over and again.

giant+bowl2.jpg

HYPER BOWL

Its ironic that the people complaining the most are the ones making it work.

I'd say the results speak for themselves. There's been more threads, more people posting and more discussion on this forum in the last two days than in the last two months before we shut the threads down.*

giant+bowl2.jpg

HYPER BOWL

Whilst I'm glad that more people are posting/getting involved.

I still say it looks like a sodding mess.

Some of the new threads are good that are popping up, allowing me to have more discussion as well as others, plus it is easier to post a new thread, but I think now I've gotten a few days of being used to it I will say this:

We need a mixture of the two, bring back certain old threads but allow a less stricter ruling on new threads, at the moment its difficult to keep track of threads because there's so many, I imagine this might wear off in time, only bringing in new threads when a new song is released by a certain band/singer or a new film that people like/dislike appears, but right now its a bit all over the shop.

and yes heck I miss the HWYD, I liked reading about people's days, now I can't read it. :weep:

Whilst I'm glad that more people are posting/getting involved.

I still say it looks like a sodding mess.

Some of the new threads are good that are popping up, allowing me to have more discussion as well as others, plus it is easier to post a new thread, but I think now I've gotten a few days of being used to it I will say this:

We need a mixture of the two, bring back certain old threads but allow a less stricter ruling on new threads, at the moment its difficult to keep track of threads because there's so many, I imagine this might wear off in time, only bringing in new threads when a new song is released by a certain band/singer or a new film that people like/dislike appears, but right now its a bit all over the shop.

and yes heck I miss the HWYD, I liked reading about people's days, now I can't read it. :weep:

Completely agree. I'd be prefectly happy with just HWYD. I feel like creating a thread about how shit my day was is a bit of a spammy thread which goes nowhere... And yes, I too like reading about the forum member's days! I still think conversation and new topics can be created with it still in existence.

I admit I was a bit reluctant to see the changes... but it seems okay, just getting used to a different process. Would be nice if we could clarify topics with say "[music] Muse" or "[news] war in iraq" etc

something like that to tell people what the topic is about... Good for skimming over the topics you arent so interested in.

I like that idea, it's a simple addon, but might also help new members as well as current ones.

I like that idea, it's a simple addon, but might also help new members as well as current ones.

and its something that can be easily done by members and/or corrected by the people at the top if neccesary.

I can understand the music and movie threads, but "post your purchases"?

I can understand the music and movie threads, but "post your purchases"?

PYP and the User Image Gallery are the two I think we need back. I especially miss the UIG. It was nice to put faces to names, especially near N-E Meet time.

Rate the last game you played is pointless, since you could/should just go to the relevant console board and post in the games thread (or create one if it doesn't exist).

I'm indifferent to the rest of the threads to be honest. Still think the new method is making a complete mess of the boards though.

Yes.

Amount of new threads in last two months prior to thread locking: 23

Amount of new threads since thread locking: 28

STOP ASKING INANE QUESTIONS!*

*and the figures were made up before you ask.

My issue with the new system is seeing all the new threads and feeling a little overwhelmed when I do my daily visit. However I think the system works and I just need a little time to readjust.

I've come round to the idea a little bit now and think it's beneficial overall but just needs a little time to be broken in. That said, I don't think it's right to have some general all encompassing threads and not others. It wouldn't be right to have, for example, the comic thread unlocked and the music thread locked. They're both as general as each other, and it seems as if the relentless negativity that was applied by the clique has pressured the mods to reopen it. Seems a bit off to me. Meh.

Ok, it seems my question before was slightly ignored or unnoticed. But I'm going to ask again, weren't the forums like this before, and did they not work then?. Cos I'm sure I remember a similar time, and I'm sure it worked.

People, please stop quoting or talking about this ominous, hard to find, hard to navigate, hard to venture to PAGE 2 OF DOOOM. Jesus fucking christ, yes, more threads mean more pages need looking at. Maybe if you're ending up on page 3 or 4 I'd take the point, but page 2? Don't be so lazy. I KNOW when it was active when I was around and active, I often HAD TO GO TO PAGE 2, and you know what? IT WASN'T REALLY THAT HARD.

Also I think a good thing about the threads are, more threads equals more oppurtunities to post, and more forum activity. Or at least more posts. In different threads, exposed to different people. It's like a hedging of bets, a parallel processiing, a parallel threading maybe! Assume(extreme example) you have 10 music related threads, you post in 3 and have made 3 posts. You post in one big one, and it's just one post, and it's more likely to be glossed over because someone doesn't venture into 'generic music thread a' to read your three points. When spread between so many threads it works more imo. Also, sometimes seeing who posted last in a thread also makes me click it. I'm sure that isn't just me.

OK that was me

I reopened the comics thread because nobody except a few core members talk about comics here so you don't want us to flood the board with smaller threads (and in order to discuss what we read every week, we absolutely would) and there doesn't seem to be a more elegant solution to that problem.

Music, by comparison, is relevant to pretty much everybody and I personally think that smaller threads highlighting artists and albums is going to generate more discussion than an all encompassing mega thread (and one we heard no end of complaints on saying it was daunting and unfriendly)

It wasn't favoritism or anything ( I love my music way more than comics) it just felt like the best solution to the issue at hand.

Maybe I looked at it from thewrong angle, then. It just seemed like it was going the opposite way from the experiment is all :(

Yes.

Amount of new threads in last two months prior to thread locking: 23

Amount of new threads since thread locking: 28

Which, doing the maths, means... STOP ASKING INANE QUESTIONS!

and the figures were made up before you ask.

I don't see what's so inane about knowing the current results of this "experiment" you're running. Just because more topics have been made doesn't mean more posts have been posted. There's no need to keep blackballing with pictures of massive bowls.

If you don't know then just say, I'm only asking out of curiousity. I'm merely living up to the inquisitive title you bestowed upon me.

Assume(extreme example) you have 10 music related threads, you post in 3 and have made 3 posts. You post in one big one, and it's just one post, and it's more likely to be glossed over because someone doesn't venture into 'generic music thread a' to read your three points. When spread between so many threads it works more imo.

Certainly possible! We shall see.

My issue with the new system is seeing all the new threads and feeling a little overwhelmed when I do my daily visit. However I think the system works and I just need a little time to readjust.

Oh man that sounds hilariously pathetic! Just read it back to yourself aloud in the style of a quiet emotional little girl and you get the picture.

Haha you're right :D Thanks for that dwarf :heh: Despite sounding like a schoolgirl I stand by my point, it just takes a little time to get used to having so many threads.

I love the feel since the overhaul, as though we've just been relaunched from Issue 1 under a new creative team, with loads of hype before the first issue goes on sale. I'm enjoying it. I feel like we all need our own personalised "I Am An Avenger" posters to concisely redefine our purpose in being here.