NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Experimental thread lock

This is a very good move. Those threads were all potential new topic eaters. I was scared of many of them and several showed up on more than one occasion in my nightmares.

Kudos to you guys for having the bravery to do this and SHAME on any of you complaining. Stop complaining and go make a thread, I dare you. No... double-dare. Oooh!

This is a very good move. Those threads were all potential new topic eaters. I was scared of many of them and several showed up on more than one occasion in my nightmares.

Kudos to you guys for having the bravery to do this and SHAME on any of you complaining. Stop complaining and go make a thread, I dare you. No... double-dare. Oooh!

You should have Dan Dare'd them, would have got it sorted right out.

Its a bit of a pain having lots of comic threads (no offence to the fans) because i'm really not interested in comics... etc etc

I seriously laughed, and i'm not joking either mate. Brilliant!!!!.

I think we need to stop with the "I just bought a Fanta" threads, and think of something better.

This is pretty interesting and I'm all for it. The HWYD thread has gotten kinda dull over the past few months. It'd be much better if we just shut down the whole of General Chit-Chat, then we could get more Nintendo/game related discussion on the go!

This is pretty interesting and I'm all for it. The HWYD thread has gotten kinda dull over the past few months. It'd be much better if we just shut down the whole of General Chit-Chat, then we could get more Nintendo/game related discussion on the go!

Which the majority of which would probably be in their console related areas.

I haven't played a nintendo console in over a year.

Its a bit of a pain having lots of comic threads (no offence to the fans) because i'm really not interested in comics... etc etc

Yeah that's..a thing.

It was all the stormin mormon's doing, in truth. He went rogue.

A good idea for the most part but like you say, a special interest comic thread is no bad thing as it keeps us reprobates in one place ;)

Yeah that's..a thing.

It was all the stormin mormon's doing, in truth. He went rogue.

A good idea for the most part but like you say, a special interest comic thread is no bad thing as it keeps us reprobates in one place ;)

hahaha thats not what I meant, but yes =P

I just think there could be a middle ground, no need to get rid of EVERYTHING, things like Anime/Comics/User Image Gallery/Purchases/hwyd are a bit more obscure or don't warrant their own thread.

And having some of the [general category] threads means a bit less work for yourself and the other mods/admins.

For the love of god don't get rid of hwyd, i need to moan every now and then! :grin:

Why not have a Media sub-forum or something like that for threads about individual movies/tv shows/comics/ect?

So my day's been alright today actually!

Saturday is all off thanks to a decent visit to the town's office, find out I don't have to pay rent til next week.

But the chippy's chips tasted like shit this afternoon, which was a downer. And some one locked the How Was Your Day thread too, I just can't have a full happy day can I?

About f'n time. Glad some of the mods still have some common sense.

Why not have a Media sub-forum or something like that for threads about individual movies/tv shows/comics/ect?

More forums will thin activity and pretty much cause exactly what they're trying to avoid. These big threads in themselves have become sort of mini-forums because they're quite large and wide-ranging, and because they are there in which to post. More forums will do little to help anything, really.

I can't deal with this. Isn't this a Nintendo forum? What happened to if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

This is awesome!

I suggested this a while ago (in the suggestions thread) and someone threatened to cut me.

I hope we can get through this without any bloodshed.

There is already bloodshed.

There will be more.

At this stage in the war it is unavoidable.

The lines have been drawn.

And its time to do or die.

There must be a way of segregating the Rate threads without putting them in a sub forum. Stickying them at the top would kinda solve that but then that's not an ideal solution. The monthly/quarterly thread refreshing I suggested is a possibility.

Perhaps re-titling threads once a topic has moved on and editing the first post is a (weak) solution.

I don't really know, I haven't given it much thought, but basically something has to change, because this simply doesn't work well enough right now. There's been some really unnecessary lockings. I'd agree with HWYD a fair bit, I find that terribly boring, but User Image Gallery, Film Rating, even frickin' Pokemon threads that are quite niche and deserved of belonging in one place.... Locking these is really quite dumb.

I think it's fine going back to non-massive threads.

As soon as people stop spamming with irrelevant threads this can function like how the forum used to.

Maybe some people have just forgot how to make a decent thread.

The confusion around here is amusing, but it's easy to see it's just an early reaction. It'll settle down, eventually.

Anyway, this is probably for the best. The General Chit-Chat section was more active (and interesting) when it was like this.

I doubt many people have a problem with more threads being made to make conversations easier. Most of the complaints that I and other people are mentioning is that this method just doesnt work for all the threads that have been closed.

I'll admit that the first thread I made about Fanta was a joke relating to this whole thing but ive had to make new threads, mostly pointless to everyone else because there was nowhere else to put the information. A lot of the stuff I have posted tonight would have gone straight into the Comics thread but I couldnt do that this time.

Seems like a joke, but then getting rid of Comic Book Discussion is needless. It was only ever about 5-6 people in it anyway, talking about a whole load of stuff, so threads about a single X-Men issue seem silly as individual threads. (Whereas the same thing Happenstance asks about in the X-Men thread could easily just be a post in the Comic thread.)

We'll see.

We've suffered our first General Thread locking! I wonder how many more there are to come.

As an experiment some of the larger, and topic-general, threads are going to be locked.

There are several reasons for this. Here are some, but not all:

• HWYD/Rate */Post * likely suck up the creation of new threads
  • Longer threads are more intimidating to newcomers
  • Ghost pages are formed
  • More discussion comes from individual threads (we see this in thread rips all the time) than posts in the more general threads

As a team of moderators we realise this is potentially controversial, but just roll with it and see what happens. For now, please don't recreate these threads with clones or similarly titled threads.

Create new exciting threads. A 2-page thread is a success.

Hmm, okay.