Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Best Gaming Memories?

Happenstance

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally getting all 150 pokemon in red and blue. Me and a friend went through the entire game, got 149 pokemon then realized we both picked hitmonlee in the dojo place. So one of us had to replay through most of the game just to get hitmonchan and trade it back and forth. Never had one of those Gameboy printers at the time so I couldn't print out the certificate they gave you for it >__>

anytime i have ever played Super Metroid

I love that, 15 years on, the descent in to Riddley's lair is still pretty scary. The game is so threatening to the player, at all times. It's kind of a precursor to Survival Horror in many ways.

That midi on that lift will always be a highlight. Gives me goosebumps.

When I listen to certain music, it really takes me back to whatever game I was playing at the time.

These aren't very cool examples, but the Marshall Mathers LP takes me back to the day I got both that and Majora's Mask, so it really reminds me of the swamp area near the start of Majora's Mask. Old Lostprophets songs really remind me of Tenchu 2 on the PS, which was a great game. The earliest memory I have of gaming is either some crappy F1 DOS game or the original Super Mario Bros. I also remember playing Super Mario Kart round a friend's house very vividly, and doing rather badly at it.

Phew, off the top of my head:

-Sonic 2: Beating the final boss...when neither the game nor the Mega Drive were mine. They were a cousin's. She hadn't beat the game yet, and I reached the Final Boss twice before beating him. It was amazing, mostly because she never knew I did it first;

-Kirby's Dream Land 2: Finding all the collectables before anyone in school even knew they existed. We're talking about a game that was popular, mind you, and it remained popular for some time thanks to my findings;

-Megaman: Dr. Wily's Revenge: First game I owned that nobody else did. Killing Elecman and finding out I could use his powers...was incredibly mind-blowing for my child mind;

-Pokémon Blue/Silver: When the games were all the rage, and we would collectively search the games for all of their secrets... I remember someone thinking Mew was hidden in the Cycling Road, even :grin:;

-Fighting games: I have a certain friend with whom I constantly compete in fighting games of all kinds. Soul Calibur II, Tekken 3, Tekken 5, SSBB, SSBM, WWF games and an old NTSC-J Dragonball Z game that was released here, all of them give me great memories;

-Sonic 2 + Sonic 3&Knuckles: Going Super Sonic and Hyper Sonic for the first time. As a DBZ fan, this was beyond the impossible!;

-Final Fantasy IX: My first traditional JRPG. Just amazing. Fan for life.

-Donkey Kong Country: Having previously played and greatly enjoying DK Land for the GB and the ports for the GBA, the SNES version still blew me away for their detail and fluidity. And this was quite recently, too!;

-Wind Waker: There was a week in summer where I had to stay at home due to a small operation. At about that time, I bought a magazine which had the locations to everything in WW. I took the opportunity to explore everything in the game before using said magazine to complete it 100%. That week passed quite quickly;

-Games made of 100% excellence, but without a specific "stand-out" moment:

Skies of Arcadia

F-Zero GX

Ocarina of Time

Super Mario 64

Mother 3

Fire Emblem GBA

Golden Sun: Lost Age

Elite Beat Agents

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

Worms Armageddon

Age of Empires II

World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck

Majora's Mask

Super Metroid

Metroid Prime

Mole Mania

...I think I'll stop now.

Most recent ones:

- Playing Just Dance with my mate and her family and beating them all. They all challenged me and I accepted and I didn't think I'd beat them but I did =D

- Playing Sing It! with my friend and her sister and making up my own lyrics that fit and making everyone laugh. Good times!

- Being the only one to beat the dragon in Dragon Age even though around 10 people had tried for my cousin's boyfriend.

Not the best but one of my earliest gaming memories was completing chip n dale rescue rangers on the NES!

Me and friend of mine used to play it for hours and hours and finally one day we got to the boss fat cat and beat him! I remember the joy and celebration like it was yesterday! I loved that game and how you could pick each other up and throw them at the baddies haha.

The Dreamcast era. That time comprised many moments, be it playing through singleplayer epics like Shenmue or Skies of Arcadia, taking my first tentative steps online with ChuChu Rocket! and PSO, or staying up all night with my friends playing Rush 2049.

In a similar vein, all of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. I often play to lose myself in worlds and you'll find none more hauntingly beautiful. Simply two of the finest examples of the medium.

The hours I sank into LAN Halo. Two machines, two TVs, two rooms and two stashes of junk food. One rubbish third-party pad that no one wanted to use. Many muffled shouts from the next room. Innumerable player name changes; "You were killed by chlamydia."

Oh man that was awesome (although I did it in PGR2 - such an excellent series. I don't dig the more realistic racing games but PGR is just such great fun, especially in splitscreen mode.

Yes!! It hurts that they'll probably not make another PGR. :(

I bought a Dreamcast for Metropolis Street Racer and an Xbox for PGR (I didn't have XBL, didn't realise Cat'n'Mouse was in it). I wish Sony had bought the series now. Maybe they'd have treated it with some fucking respect!! :cry:

I detest realistic racing games but PGR was about throwing your car around corners as fast as possible. The parabolas, oh, the parabolas!!

Most recent ones:

- Playing Just Dance with my mate and her family and beating them all. They all challenged me and I accepted and I didn't think I'd beat them but I did =D

- Playing Sing It! with my friend and her sister and making up my own lyrics that fit and making everyone laugh. Good times!

- Being the only one to beat the dragon in Dragon Age even though around 10 people had tried for my cousin's boyfriend.

Urrrm, what's going on here? Blue font?

The Dreamcast era. That time comprised many moments, be it playing through singleplayer epics like Shenmue or Skies of Arcadia, taking my first tentative steps online with ChuChu Rocket! and PSO, or staying up all night with my friends playing Rush 2049.

In a similar vein, all of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. I often play to lose myself in worlds and you'll find none more hauntingly beautiful. Simply two of the finest examples of the medium.

The hours I sank into LAN Halo. Two machines, two TVs, two rooms and two stashes of junk food. One rubbish third-party pad that no one wanted to use. Many muffled shouts from the next room. Innumerable player name changes; "You were killed by chlamydia."

Amazing stuff, local multiplayer with duff controllers etc etc in many ways can't be bested.

Yes!! It hurts that they'll probably not make another PGR. :(

I bought a Dreamcast for Metropolis Street Racer and an Xbox for PGR (I didn't have XBL, didn't realise Cat'n'Mouse was in it).

I'm curious, is it an actual game mode in PGR 3/4? I haven't played them you see. But in PGR 2 it wasn't, rather it was a game that the players online made up and played through the standard race mode. If it did eventually become an actual game mode then that's pretty sweet, means the community got to have something of an impact :D

I'm curious, is it an actual game mode in PGR 3/4? I haven't played them you see. But in PGR 2 it wasn't, rather it was a game that the players online made up and played through the standard race mode. If it did eventually become an actual game mode then that's pretty sweet, means the community got to have something of an impact :D

Yeah, it became a proper game mode. It's all I played. :D

In PGR3 you could trap the Mouse in the same spot for the whole race if you were good enough. In PGR4 they made it so that after 10 seconds, or something, the Mouse's car went Mario-esque invincible and was able to pass through cars for a few seconds so it could get away again.

I preferred it in PGR3. The way it was in that meant it was all or nothing. If your Mouse was trapped you had to help out.

Much love for this thread! Ahh memories..

Link's Awakening: My first Zelda game, though at the time I didn't know it was a series yet haha. But yes, I loved this game. Never got past the second dungeon (with the genie I think) as a kid, then I lost the game... and rebought the DX version and finally completed it! Loved the ending. =)

Rollercoaster Tycoon: I spent numerous hours on this game, as did my sisters. It's the game we took on our holidays to Spain with us, playing it on an old laptop. We would fight over whose turn it was haha.

I dug out this game again this week and I still love it. ^____^

Ocarina of Time: Simply plugging in the game and having the intro play. It mesmerized me. I watched it over and over. At the time, it was probably one of the most beautiful games I had seen and played.

These, I agree. Plus, the PC combo of Rollercoaster Tycoon, Age of Empires, and Worms was unbeatable!!

I think the best gaming experiences I've had have been in local multiplayer, usually co-op. Playing Conflict Desert Storm 2 with three friends till the wee hours when I was was such such good fun. Finally finished Dynasty Warriors 4 coop with a friend at uni, which was relentlessly run, if stunningly repetitive.

I just love good multiplayer really.

Conker's Bad Fur Day - The mode where you run up the beach and try to make it to the base without being shot down was just glorious. As were the standard capture the flag / deathmatch fare.

Pro Evo's - Any Pro Evo game where you're playing an evenly matched friend are unbeatable entertainment.

Timesplitters - Huge knockout matches on Siberia.. tense as for the last few lives!!

Pisses me off that company's don't make good local multiplayer anymore, especially not for 4 players.

Other standout moments include beating Golden Sun and OOT, both seemed like massive games. And, as many have said, Shadow of the Colossus is utterly breathtaking and wow. I practically fucking cried about Agro. Shame some of the game was frustrating as fuck but nonetheless.

Edited by dan-likes-trees

Cruisn' USA (I think?). My mate and I could honestly never get past the 2nd checkpoint. We were 5.

Like shorty, to me Korn - Follow the Leader reminds me of Rainbow Six on the N64.

First game I ever completed was The Lion King on the Master System II. My pause button was broken so I had to PRAY simba'd survive my dinner.

Comic Zone was teh first game I ever borrowed from a friend for the Mega Drive.

Flashback was the first game that ever really got under my skin -- that truely immersed me.

Donald Duck: Dime Capers was teh first game I bought, for... £10 I think? So rock solid.

Gremlins 2 for the game boy... never got past the 2nd level.

The time I got 240+ lines on tetris DX on the bus.

Xmas one year when I got pokemon blue. Plugged 24 hours into the game by the end of boxing day.

The day I bought my Gamecube (launch day), when two of my mates and I all bunked school and played monkey ball all day and my mum was cool with it!!!

OoT, waking up extra early so I could play some more of it before going to school as my mate lent it to me for a week.

Endless Goldeneye and Perfect Dark games with my mates.

Rainbow Six: Vegas, its sequel, Gears Of War and the sequel and Army of Two co-op sessions with Shorty, where I would progressively drunker and SWEAR I was improving.

Rock Band: Endless setlist. Was pretty endless. Also what must've been the last time we played it in the flat, Nami crying while singing "go your own waaaay". Was hilariouscool.

Fallout 3, seeing the wastelands for the first time. Again when I found a dog. Again when I found that Dave place. Again when I met Fawkes. Again when I found the UFO!

Dark Sector's brutal executions actually making me feel sick.

BLAST CORPS for the sheer amounts of joy.

Modern Warfare 2 is guarenteed to produce at least one memory per session, ranging from my housemate getting a tactical nuke in a care package STOLEN FROM HIM to general insane kills, rare massive kill-streaks, hilarious kids with microphones, etc, etc.

Trying to find shortcuts on Mario Kart 64.

FINDING shortcuts on F-Zero X.

Warioland (I think) on the game boy. There was ONE collectable thing on one level that I could never find. I'd narrowed it down to HAVING to be in this one room, but I just couldn't find it.

Getting a GOLF game as a gift from an auntie. WTF?!

Oooh! World Cup 94 on the Master System. I'd figured out the way to get a guarenteed goal every time (enter the box diagonally and shoot), so I set the match time to be a genuine 90 minutes... and was saddened to see the goal counter stopped at 99 :(

ISS 98; making my own players modelled after my family/friends and entering the world league.

THIS LIST IS FUCKING ENDLESS

What are some of your best gaming memories then?

Some of mine that I can think of:

Playing Super Mario Bros on the NES over and over and over when I was a kid.

Going around my friends house pretty much every day to have big multiplayer sessions on the Megadrive and then later the PS1 and N64. We'd play through Streets of Rage 2, Vigilante 8, Wrestlemania 2000 etc for hours.

Playing Animal Crossing for the gamecube for the first few months, id play that game everyday without fail.

Finally completing Mcdonalland on the NES last year.

Playing through Batman: Arkham Asylum and completing it on every difficulty. This may not be a big one for some people but that is very rare for me. I tend to struggle to keep interest in completing a game just once.

Playing hours of the C&C games, still one of my favourite series.

Another favourite series of mine, the Phoenix Wright games. I loved every minute of those, even if it did take me months to get around to completing them.

I will probably think of a lot more later but im more interested in reading all of yours.

Where the wankety fuck is our Halo sessions? Eh? EH?!

I remember playing Sonic 2 on the MD with my Mum when I was quite young. We got to the Metropolis level IIRC. Looking back, I think Mum was getting tired of it, but carried on anyway. Quite sweet really.

I also remember my cousin bringing his Master System round a lot. Me, my Cousin and my Nan all live pretty much on the same street, so we always used to stay round my Nans house. I remember a Mickey Mouse/Donald Duck game being amazing.

Playing both Shenmue games. Awesome games that I literally couldn't put down until I had completed them. I skipped meals because I was so into them. The end of the first one was still awesome.

Getting my Dreamcast and playing Sonic Adventure. Awesome game. I could still happily complete Sonics story in one session and not get bored.

Playing Christmas Nights on the Saturn on the lead-up to Christmas. Unlocking presents in it really helped get me in the spirit.

JSRF. I had to get everything in that game. And did.

Me and my aforementioned Cousin playing Kikstart on the Spectrum. I must have been about 6 or 7 at the time. I specifically remember moaning about the cheating "AI".

Yeah, it became a proper game mode. It's all I played. :D

In PGR3 you could trap the Mouse in the same spot for the whole race if you were good enough. In PGR4 they made it so that after 10 seconds, or something, the Mouse's car went Mario-esque invincible and was able to pass through cars for a few seconds so it could get away again.

I preferred it in PGR3. The way it was in that meant it was all or nothing. If your Mouse was trapped you had to help out.

The PGR series are still my favourite racing games. It's like the handling was aimed squarely at me. I could make those cars dance. Online I tend to suck, mainly because I don't deal well with people ramming me all the time (that's what she said etc).

Good point, I forgot about that.

Playing Halo on co-op with Goafer, we found the best combination of food and drink to go with it was Galaxy bars and share size diet coke.

Haha, my mate and I used to have a large "Bacon Double Cheeseburger" pizza from dominos and a share size coke - that or we'd nip up to Mcdonalds quickly for a Big Tasty, that game really took the energy out of ya I swear!

Since the title of this thread just says "Gaming" I'm going to have to throw down the 4 player 2.5 hour long drunk Settlers of Catan seshes had with jayseven, Dan, Nikki and myself. Epiiiic.

Rock Band: Endless setlist. Was pretty endless. Also what must've been the last time we played it in the flat, Nami crying while singing "go your own waaaay". Was hilariouscool.

Duude, it was "Move Along" by All American Rejects. And we all sang (drunkenly) and I saw tears forming in your eyes too.

That endless setlist was awesome and terrible at the same time.

The original Gears of War co-op was brilliant. The second one was still great.

I also have a strong memory of the first time I plugged Pokemon Red into my big bulky Gameboy. I was literally taken aback by its awesomeness. 2-3 years later I was still playing it, now on a Gameboy Color, and everyone at school had gotten into it. Because they were so far behind, my Venusaur lvl 100, Charizard lvl 100, Blastoise lvl 100, Mewtwo lvl 100, Polywrath lvl 100 and Pigeot lvl 100 (what, you need fly ffs) team was pretty unbeatable.

Edited by Shorty

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!