N-Europe

Election 2010 - Con/Lib Government

danny

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if you are sufficiently misanthropic to think that all politicians are solely out for themselves, it doesn't mean that there aren't differences in policies between the parties. To take a random example, the Conservatives intend to ring-fence funding for the NHS, whereas Labour and Lib Dem do not. While it may seem minor, it is a genuine difference, and the choice of government will affect a huge number of factors like this. And occasionally, votes can alter major issues - how can you argue that the 1975 EU referendum didn't have major consequences? Just because you only ever see the outcome that takes place doesn't mean that the alternatives wouldn't be any different.

Oh, and I voted Lib Dem.

So I voted Lib Dem in the end. I sort of wanted to vote Labour but then Iraq flashed through my mind and I was all angry and shit :P

Oh as well, someone at college today claimed that the Lib Dems wanted rid of A levels and GCSEs entirely, while they also supported the invasion of Iraq. This person is grossly misinformed, yes?

Just KO'd my dad on something political. Felt good! He was talking about how he's not made his mind up yet about who to vote for. Pointed out Labour and Tory failings and then moaned that "nobody" knows what the Lib Dem's policies are. Said the only one he was aware of is them wanting to change things to a proportional voting system and "noone even knows what that is!" "erm... I do, don't you?" I then explained it to him and pointed out that it was his perogative to find out what something means if he didn't know and also his perogative to find out the various parties policies, not leaving it to the media to tell him. KO'd, he was speechless without a comeback which is very rare. Felt good telling him off about such things rather than the other way around!

Edited by SPAMBOT4000

The Tory majority in Harpenden & Hitchen is falling over the years, though neither you nor me are helping their decline. That said, I'm voting in Guildford, one of the bit Tory vs Lib Dem battleground. The Uni's expanded considerably over the last 5 years, and the Tory majority is about 300. I predict a swing...

Sweetness. I love how practically every single student I've spoken to is voting lib dem. It's practically socially unacceptable not to.

Off to vote now. Probably Lib Dem, though I was considering a last minute swap back to labour

And as for the poster, the one I saw was

idg9c9.png

Also, question: The one thing I don't understand about the whole thing is in the event of a hung parliment (likely) with Torys getting the most seats, would Cameron become prime minister only unable to effectively do anything without coalition, or would Gordon stay in power unless he resigns?

Who's pulling an allnighter?

Will people be watching BBC (David Dimbleby) or ITV (Alistair Stewart)? Will ITV have adverts?

I don't have a TV so probably won't watch, but if I do then I'll opt for Dimbleby. I find Alistair Stewart boring.

What?

Alternative election night on Channel 4. Obviously...

Voted for the Lib Dems.

I was quite surprised at the voting process. I was expecting a representative of each party outside the door badgering you as you went in, people comfirming your name, address and making sure that you really are you (i.e. asking for ID), and voting booths that were closed off (i.e a a curtain or something).

When I eventually found the place (there was a sign on the door which is only visible if you're coming from outside the town) I walked in, showed my polling card, they gave me two slips, I went to the small table in the middle with a few boards separating it into four, put my crosses on, folded them, put them in the boxes and left. It took around twenty seconds and not a single word was spoken in the process.

I'm going for a mixture of BBC/C4.

C4 from 9 til 1am with BBC at the breaks.

BBC for the rest of the night.

And then down to Westminster to throw things at David Cameron if he becomes PM :P

Got the supplies of doritos/dip/beer/cider/coke/red bull ready :)

I'll definitly stay for the Alternative Election coverage and the first round of results at 1am, then I'll have to see how I feel after that.

Got the supplies of doritos/dip/beer/cider/coke/red bull ready :)

To eat or to throw?

Mobile%20Photo%206%20May%202010%2006%2023%2036%20PM.jpg

God I hate people like this. Why would you advertise the fact? This person is also a grumpy shit that's the first to moan about the state of the country and such.

Should get off his Xbox and go put an X in a box.

I'm here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress.

Also, question: The one thing I don't understand about the whole thing is in the event of a hung parliment (likely) with Torys getting the most seats, would Cameron become prime minister only unable to effectively do anything without coalition, or would Gordon stay in power unless he resigns?

?

I believe Gordon Brown stays in if it goes to a HUNG parliament. Then he has to get a coalition, if he cannot it then goes to the Queen who will then put the next highest competitive party in charge of the Government or something like that. It's explained on the gmtv website, I was only on it to help me decide on who to vote for, was checking lots of sites and settled on Lib Dem :) they benefit me more nationally and locally.

HUNG Parliament Explained

What can you say? The kid that spit in the guys face deserved the kick he got to the head.

In the end I've gone lib dem, was torn between them and the usual conservatives but in the end they got my vote based on the fact they are more likely to change things than the others.