NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

The Nintendo 3DS it great but I haven't seen any games where the 3D pops out of the screen yet.

The Nintendo 3DS it great but I haven't seen any games where the 3D pops out of the screen yet.

Hold the power button for 10 seconds should pop up then.

Yeah, so far the only real thing I've found to actually appear to be floating/coming out of the screen, are the times when you get one of the Spiritual Stones or Emblems in Ocarina of Time. That was a bit of a wow moment actually!

Yeah, so far the only real thing I've found to actually appear to be floating/coming out of the screen, are the times when you get one of the Spiritual Stones or Emblems in Ocarina of Time. That was a bit of a wow moment actually!

Yeah when they were raining down from the sky.

I've only seen two instances whereby something felt as though it was popping out of the screen.

The first was the blooming flower in that original download video and the other was the Luigi's Mansion 2 logo in the E3 trailer.

What do they both have in common? An almost solid black background (the flower does, but the mansion has a lit window in shot). In both cases, there is a clear lack of reference points from which to determine a sense of depth. There is nothing placing the window in the distance and so it feels at screen level like the rest of the background. Consequently, the logo on top appears to come foreward. Same dealio with the flower.

I think it probably helps that the outside of the case is also black as it helps to keep you focused on the screen.

Yeah when they were raining down from the sky.

I meant the items you recieve after you complete a temple, either a spiritual stone or medallion... they hover out of the screen.

Stuff pops out of the screen in Ridge Racer, such as confetti and water spray. Works rather nicely in that. Other than that and the rare instances in OoT3D, there hasn't been anything else that's popped out from my experience.

In DOA Dimensions - when you are playing the Chronicles story mode - in the chapter select section, the top screen has images from the story mode that look like several pictures. The way they are layered makes it look like it is physically popping out at you.

I love just looking at that in 3d haha. That's the best i've seen anyway - and the flower as mentioned!

So collectively the best 3D we have seen is a 10 second portion of a 20 hour game, and a menu screen?

Eep. Lol.

all the time, looks awesome. Adjust your eyes folks. :grin:

All the time it appears as though it's popping out to you? (almost wrote pooping :p )

I think you might need to adjust your eyes before you break them.

isnt the 3D effect on the 3DS more about the depth! expecting to see "pop-out" 3D is a mistake as you won't get it on majority of titles.

I have heard Nintendogs + cats has very good pop out 3D effects.

remember that most 3D films don't really have that "pop-out" TV effect either.

Yeah, who's saying that just because it pops out it's the best? I detest pop out 3d in cinema and in a lto of games, it's fine it static things - like the dioramas in pilot wings, the ridge racer logo is great etc. For me I just love the depth it brings.

Bizarrely I would say cap com have pretty much perfected 3D, everything is so clean, the depth is great, no ghosting. Better than nintendo bizarrely!

Also, is it in the programming how far the 3D goes with regards to when you move your head? I can't play pro evo in 3d (even though I love it) because the images cross all the time! Is it because I'm getting in to it and jolting the DS about or is it because it just isn't as good?

There are some pop out effects on Pilotwings and Nintendogs, but its totally not suitable to a handheld - breaks the illusion of 3D in my option. I'd rather developers keep with depth and use the 3DS as a 'window'

Didn't Nintendo say that they try to do more depth than popout to make it easier on the eyes?

Also, is it in the programming how far the 3D goes with regards to when you move your head? I can't play pro evo in 3d (even though I love it) because the images cross all the time! Is it because I'm getting in to it and jolting the DS about or is it because it just isn't as good?

It's all about keeping the system still. I think that some games make you move more than you actually notice. For instance, in PES, you usea lot of buttons at multiple times meaning that the system will naturally move more.

When I was reading some 3D TV reviews I remember people asking what movies had the best popout moments and some guy replied that the popout moments are gimmicky and that the real pleasure of the 3D is that it gives you the depth on-screen making the image appear as though you are looking "into" the world.

Couldn't agree more. I like the popout effects as they are the "ooooh" moments but they also do come across as gimmicky at times. Avatar got it spot on with the floating seeds moment where they surrounded the screen at different depths. Games should be the same, especially when snow or rain come into effect.

But keeping on topic of popout moments - the best moments for me have been the Pilotwings diorama's, OoT's snow when at Jabu Jabu's area as an adult and the replays in PES are amazing. You can get the camera round to where the ball is literally facing you with the player behind it and it looks like the ball has left the screen. Looks stunning. But better in slow motion or in stills.

Edited by tapedeck

Anyone know any good 3DS deals on at the moment? I'm finding it hard to resist buying one (I need Zelda!)

It's difficult to have pop-out 3D on a small screen because, although you feel like it's expanding outwards, it can never be larger than the confines of the screen, hence why it only happens with small objects on the 3DS. The best 3D, and the the type of 3D the 3DS has aimed for, is the depth kind.

Unrelated question: does anyone else find that the bottom half of the 3DS leaves marks/impressions on the top half? I'm finding vertical lines on my top screen like indentations from the border of the touchscreen, and today I even noticed a circle mark on the top half opposite the circle pad. I'm wondering if its just my case holding the DS too tightly.

It's difficult to have pop-out 3D on a small screen because, although you feel like it's expanding outwards, it can never be larger than the confines of the screen, hence why it only happens with small objects on the 3DS. The best 3D, and the the type of 3D the 3DS has aimed for, is the depth kind.

Unrelated question: does anyone else find that the bottom half of the 3DS leaves marks/impressions on the top half? I'm finding vertical lines on my top screen like indentations from the border of the touchscreen, and today I even noticed a circle mark on the top half opposite the circle pad. I'm wondering if its just my case holding the DS too tightly.

Yeah it's a pretty massive design fault. I'm amazed they didn't pick up on this.

Same here, rememebered thinking it was a scratch initially. Not a biggie, bit mildly annoying having to wipe it every time you play!

If you contact nintendo they will replace the rubber feet on the screen under warranty, but it means giving up the 3DS for a while while its done, or you cold get some of those easy peel felt pads like on the bottom of electonic devices and put them in the top corners of the screen to do the same job

I've put em on my screen and it stops the screen getting scratched by the bottom ones frame, but the thumb slider still leaves a smudge on it occasionally if the 3DS is clasped tightly (thus squashing it more)

might send mine off soon to get a proper fix, but holiday first then send it off i think

Man, bad days be coming for the 3DS if this trend of cancelling games continues..

Man, bad days be coming for the 3DS if this trend of cancelling games continues..

Are there any big games left to be canceled? Saints Row was canceled, but that game kind of never was seriously in development in the first place, the Assassin's Creed Game won't happen (probably for the better, going by previous portable games of the series) and now Mega Man Legends 3, which was already in limbo and didn't look exactly hot so far, got canceled.

Out of the big announced 3rd party games that leaves Metal Gear Solid 3D and Resident Evil Revelations. If those were be canceled, I'd say there is reason to worry, but they seem to be pretty far along.

Things do look pretty bleak. I mean, for Nintendo going apeshit with 3rd parties and realising that's their biggest weakness... This feel like the N64 days... That coupled with Wii u cannablising the handheld market, the rise of smartphones and tablets. Things look ultra bleak. But if anyone can pull out a handheld out of the gutter it's Nintendo!