NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

7 minutes ago, Kav said:

Turn-based RPGs need to be killed out! :D

tenor.gif

I really hope the next Xenoblade is a turn-based card game.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

HE SAID WHAT!?

You realise that puts you in the same category as @Serebii, right? Guys like you are killing Turn based RPG's!

So @Serebii hates Pokémon!?

mind.

is.

blown.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markderoos said:

So @Serebii hates Pokémon!?

mind.

is.

blown.

To be fair, that's the only exception.

I remember it was one of the first things I learned when I joined N-Europe. He said he wasn't interested in Earthbound and I had to ask what about it didn't appeal. And that's when he said he doesn't generally enjoy Turn Based RPG's. Top tier plot twist that.

• Like 1
  • Weird 1

4 hours ago, drahkon said:

I really hope the next Xenoblade is a turn-based card game.

So I'm barely interested in VC, but the GameCube VC that people are clamoring for would give me access to Baten Kaitos Origins, which is one of the few things I'd get on VC. Would love a sequel in 2019.

They had several games last year, didn't they? They had a Direct at least which is more than two years ago where they only had Zelda.

44 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

They had several games last year, didn't they? They had a Direct at least which is more than two years ago where they only had Zelda.

I meant their booth/E3 layout. Two years ago it was about Zelda and last year Mario. Yeah, they have other games on show but the center piece of the showfloor were those games. I'm wondering what their big push will be, providing that they continue to use that setup.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I meant their booth/E3 layout. Two years ago it was about Zelda and last year Mario. Yeah, they have other games on show but the center piece of the showfloor were those games. I'm wondering what their big push will be, providing that they continue to use that setup.

Considering that those games were already revealed prior to the E3 at which they they were the centrepiece, and that we’re not expecting any other major announcements from Ninty (and their subsidiaries) until E3, I think Super Smash Bros. is the most likely game to be at the centre of attention this time around. It’s also a much easier game to hop in and out of on the show floor/in a booth than either a new Pokémon or Animal Crossing entry would be. 

I also expect a Mario Tennis Aces tournament at E3 this year, considering that they held an ARMS one last year (a few days before its release). 

• Like 1

Was itching to buy another game for my Switch since I finished Mario earlier this month, but haven't found anything that interested me.

However, I finally bought Minecraft today, since it seems like a good game to pop in a do and bit of crafting here and there. It's really odd playing it on a handheld though, almost a bit illness inducing playing a first-person game on a tiny screen. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

1 hour ago, Julius Caesar said:

Considering that those games were already revealed prior to the E3 at which they they were the centrepiece, and that we’re not expecting any other major announcements from Ninty (and their subsidiaries) until E3, I think Super Smash Bros. is the most likely game to be at the centre of attention this time around. It’s also a much easier game to hop in and out of on the show floor/in a booth than either a new Pokémon or Animal Crossing entry would be. 

I also expect a Mario Tennis Aces tournament at E3 this year, considering that they held an ARMS one last year (a few days before its release). 

It would either be Metroid 4 or Smash Bros in my opinion...and it's not going to be Metroid!

They've had two years of success with having a single game as the "focal point" of their e3 booth, so I'm sure it will happen again and, having now announced Smash and with online launching in Sept (presumably with Smash) it'll almost certainly be that! Again, in my opinion :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

It would either be Metroid 4 or Smash Bros in my opinion...and it's not going to be Metroid!

They've had two years of success with having a single game as the "focal point" of their e3 booth, so I'm sure it will happen again and, having now announced Smash and with online launching in Sept (presumably with Smash) it'll almost certainly be that! Again, in my opinion :)

Oh man, I don't think I can cope with knowing that lucky buggers in America are playing new Smash.

I can only hope they pull a "And Switch owners can also try out the demo on eShop now"

And then that'll be another hundred hours spent on a demo just like the 3DS one.

39 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Oh man, I don't think I can cope with knowing that lucky buggers in America are playing new Smash.

I can only hope they pull a "And Switch owners can also try out the demo on eShop now"

And then that'll be another hundred hours spent on a demo just like the 3DS one.

I think that’s a great idea, @Glen-i!

Nintendo has been doing reeeeeally well with implementing demos/online tests/tournaments/etc. for the Switch,  and whilst Smash doesn’t necessarily need one, I think that it would just be a great tool for Nintendo to use as a PR and hype-building move. 

On a completely different note, what are everyone’s opinions on the effect that the Smash reveal could have on the Switch community’s/Nintendo fan base’s expectations going into E3? Does it make easier or harder for Nintendo to navigate the waves of fan expectation? 

Edited by Julius Caesar

26 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

On a completely different note, what are everyone’s opinions on the effect that the Smash reveal could have on the Switch community’s/Nintendo fan base’s expectations going into E3? Does it make easier or harder for Nintendo to navigate the waves of fan expectation? 

As far as I'm concerned, an E3 with Smash as it's focus is basically my Dream E3. So I imagine that similar crazy Smash fans would have a similar view.

Of course, it's the people who aren't too big on the game who will probably be the most critical and tough to please. They'll be expecting some other heavy hitters to make E3 worthwhile.

Could be tricky.

6 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Of course, it's the people who aren't too big on the game who will probably be the most critical and tough to please. They'll be expecting some other heavy hitters to make E3 worthwhile.

Could be tricky.

That would be me. I love the idea of Smash as a celebration of all things Nintendo but as a game it lost me after Melee. I'll be hoping for something else, probably a good single player game.

As for a demo, considering how fast those things get data mined, Nintendo may be reluctant to put one out to the public. This happened to the recent Kirby demo and loads of details about the game were uncovered.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

As for a demo, considering how fast those things get data mined, Nintendo may be reluctant to put one out to the public. This happened to the recent Kirby demo and loads of details about the game were uncovered.

Yeah...the main series Pokémon game demos on eShop (ORAS and SM only, iirc?) were also guilty of containing far more than they needed to and being relatively easy to get into (for dataminers, at least). I really hope they stay quiet on the demo front with the new Pokémon games for Switch, because it’s a seriously odd genre of game to put a demo out for in the first place, besides the fact that it leads to leaked story elements and previously unrevealed Pokémon.

I think the reason that they’re having such a big problem with demos isn’t because they’re easy to get into, but because the developers of the demo — and I hate to say this — are being pretty lazy about the actual contents of the demo. The ORAS and SM demos, for example, were created using large amounts of game assets pretty much just copy and pasted from the actual games, with entire locations in the demo present exactly as they are in the game, as well as multiple Pokémon models and items that weren’t present in the demo themselves present in the demo’s code.

Ideally, it shouldn’t be the case that the demo is just a pared back version of the game; I think the demo should be screened for required code prior to the movement of assets (i.e. in the case of the Pokémon demos I mentioned above, only Pokémon, items and locations in the demo should be imported from the actual game) so that code is kept at a minimum, and only the bare necessities are included in the final version of the demo. 

I didn’t play Smash for 3DS/Wii U or keep up with the news on them, so I’ll have to look up whether those demos were datamined as extensively as some other Nintendo games, but I do recall reading that Sakurai is fairly secretive about the Smash games, and that he was left frustrated when Brawl’s cutscenes were leaked online. If that’s anything to go by, I think the demo’s in safe hands, when compared to some their first-party demos from Nintendo.

10 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

I didn’t play Smash for 3DS/Wii U or keep up with the news on them, so I’ll have to look up whether those demos were datamined as extensively as some other Nintendo games, but I do recall reading that Sakurai is fairly secretive about the Smash games, and that he was left frustrated when Brawl’s cutscenes were leaked online. If that’s anything to go by, I think the demo’s in safe hands, when compared to some their first-party demos from Nintendo.

Secrets weren't really datamined from the 3DS Smash demo, that happened later when some jerk leaked a screenshot of the character select screen from the almost completed game.

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Secrets weren't really datamined from the 3DS Smash demo...

Awesome. I have to imagine a demo on the Switch wouldn’t leave too many pieces lying around either, then! :) 

...that happened later when some jerk leaked a screenshot of the character select screen from the almost completed game.

Well, that sucks. I’m guessing that that was by someone working in the game? In which case, I have to imagine they got demoted/fired/moved to another project...

15 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

Awesome. I have to imagine a demo on the Switch wouldn’t leave too many pieces lying around either, then! :) 

Well, that sucks. I’m guessing that that was by someone working in the game? In which case, I have to imagine they got demoted/fired/moved to another project...

It was actually someone from the ESRB who leaked that picture!

Considering the state that the ESRB is in at the moment with the whole loot box fiasco though, I hope they all get fired along with that guy!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

So a few new pics and a bunch of parental controls? What a disappointing update. :( 

That's pretty much what I've come to expect from the Switch updates (and the Switch in general). Disappointment.

I just want home menu customization... themes, folders... heck, I'd be happy to just get proper sorting and organizing options. But I'm starting to lose hope we'll ever get any of that... :cry:

EDIT: At least the news filtering is good, I guess.

Edited by FireMeowth
  • Like 1

Wow, that was barebones... for a x.0.0-update that was just too bad. This seems more like a x.++.0 instead.

25 minutes ago, FireMeowth said:

That's pretty much what I've come to expect from the Switch updates (and the Switch in general). Disappointment.

I just want home menu customization... themes, folders... heck, I'd be happy to just get proper sorting and organizing options. But I'm starting to lose hope we'll ever get any of that... :cry:

I find it baffling that we have yet to get these things on the system. I don't get why they started from scratch when they had stuff like this on the Wii U and 3DS. Surely you look at what you've already got, bring over the best bits and then build upon that, rather than starting from beginning again? Crazy.::shrug:

• Like 2