N-Europe

Can You Swim?

Kirkatronics

I'm sure it's quite easy once you get the hang of it - I just never managed to. :heh:

Still, to stay afloat you just have to relax, don't you? It's when you panic and move too much that you sink, right?

Yea, its al practice and when you get it you have it forever :)

Don't you learn to swim in school? We got taught swimming in primary school, and it was compulsory.

I also did some swimming camps as a kid and managed to get up to the silver diploma thingie. Tried for gold once I think but because of a stupid shirt with those horrible press buttons I couldn't do one of the exercises so couldn't finish it. =(

Anyway I can still swim and do the basics (breast stroke, crawl and back crawl), though I rarely swim anymore. Hate going out in public in a bikini. >.>;

Thats a bit of a ball ache, why would the buttons effect anything?

In England it was optional, it was suggested though.

I've never really enjoyed swimming, I can do it it's just I'd rather mess around in a pool rather than practicing various stokes. I was always scared in Primary School when we went swimming, there were little tests that put a lot of pressure on everyone and it took me out of my comfort zone.

There was something chilling about the smell and atmosphere of the big pool that just made it unenjoyable when you knew you'd be tested, which went away when it became 'play time'.

No one enjoys doing lengths, were talking about swiming in genereal.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because he can't swim! That's what'll happen to you if you fall in a puddle.

Have you never wanted to swim just because it's fun? Throwing a ball around, diving underwater, splashing, cooling off while on holiday etc?

Yeah, but you don't really need to swim if you just wanna mess about in the water, just stay in the parts that are reasonably shallow.

I've never really enjoyed swimming, I can do it it's just I'd rather mess around in a pool rather than practicing various stokes. I was always scared in Primary School when we went swimming, there were little tests that put a lot of pressure on everyone and it took me out of my comfort zone.

There was something chilling about the smell and atmosphere of the big pool that just made it unenjoyable when you knew you'd be tested, which went away when it became 'play time'.

This, yes I went swimming every now and then with my primary school but I hated it and was always in the lolretardgonnadrown group, was muchos bollocks.

Actually thinking about it the last time I went swimming (actual swimming not messing around swimming) was when I was in year 8 at school. I think I just about managed to do one length (so I can swim... kinda). I hated it htough so then proceded to mess about in the hope I'd be told to get out, I ended up getting the whole class chucked out! :indeed:

Yeah, but you don't really need to swim if you just wanna mess about in the water, just stay in the parts that are reasonably shallow.

Its always more fun when theres no limits though, playing underwater.

Can anyone here open their eyes under water?

I keep going through pahses with it.

When i was little i could, then i couldnt, and now i an again.

Thats a bit of a ball ache, why would the buttons effect anything?

In England it was optional, it was suggested though.

Well part of the test is that you have to swim with clothes on, then use the shirt to make a big air bubble to keep you afloat... but because there were press buttons on there it kept popping open. >.<;

And as for opening eyes underwater, I never could do it, just stings too much. Plus now that I wear contacts I can't do it anyway. Goggles all the way!

Well, we were taught swimming in school. But that doesn't mean we necessarily learned to swim. I learned crawl, as I said, but I never managed to get a grip on the breast stroke.

I don't remember having tried to open my eyes underwater. I'm "scared" of it - my reflexes won't let me. I found it almost impossible simply taking eye drops when I started wearing glasses. I can't "open" my nose, either - I hate the feeling of water up my nostrils.

I do love to dive, however - the feeling of being underwater. I just have to make sure to wear goggles and a nose clip! :p

I don't have any issues opening my eyes, although I learnt to swim underwater first. Mainly because there wasn't much teaching involved, more an expectation that you'd be put in the water and just go like some sort of wind-up toy. This was during primary school, but our fortnightly sojourns to a local pool were more about recreation than education.

I enjoy swimming, although I don't think I'm particularly good at it. My technique is no doubt rubbish and I don't get an awful lot out of doing lengths back and forth, but it's a lot of fun just gliding along underwater and weaving through other people. The only thing I used to hate was not being able to bloody see properly — especially annoying when you're little and can't make out where your family is amongst a crowd of strangers.

Haven't been swimming in years. Used to go regularly and love it. I presume I can still swim even though it has been awhile. I can do front crawl and breast stroke, although with my breast stroke I could never get the arm pull and the leg kicks as they should be, which is separate whereas I do them at the same time, but it worked so I didn't care. Can do back crawl but I just hate using it. As for butterfly, well I wasn't taught that at school or through the lessons I attended so didn't bother trying it. Was compulsory at primary school and for like a year at high school for me.

Snorkelling is great as I just love the whole underwater feeling and messing about on the diving boards was great fun. And yeh, I used to be able to keep my eyes open underwater but now/last time I went swimming I couldn't.

I can swim, got my sexy badges/certificates. Did all the personal survival with your PJ's. Well in.

Did anyone see that Neighbours where Zeke drowned in a puddle? That was funny as fuck.

The thing that's funny about those moments is the "fights", they always look like they're having a rugby tackle contest, or a two man scrum[sp?]

Because he can't swim! That's what'll happen to you if you fall in a puddle.

He can swim, he's just having bad memories of when white water raped him in a kayak.

I can swim pretty well. I used to be on a swimming team many many years ago, I also used to be ace at holding my breath underwater. I could do about 3 breadths before having to come up for air. I never used goggles, some people obviously don't like opening their eyes under water, but it's never been a problem for me, though it would sting sometimes if i had been doing it for hours.

I can. I took swimming lessons as a kid, but I hated them so I didn't get that far. But just to do some basic swimming stuff you don't really need to take it for that many years. I can tread water for a very long time though.

To stay afloat, just move your legs like you were pedaling a bike, and stick your arms out with your elbows bent and bend and unbend them moving your arms back and forth. I don't think I described that very well.

I can swim, but I haven't done so for quite a few years, and I don't think that I take too well to it when in water. In Primary School, we got taken to a swimming pool once a week in year 5 or 6, and they taught us and helped us out there. I never had proper lessons or anything fancy like that.

But, when I've gone to a swimming pool since, they're always packed, and you can never really try to show off your swimming skills because there's too many people around you. It sucks when you're trying to swim doggy style and then a kid's foot catches you in the head. Then, whenever I did get the chance, I got a bit bored of just swimming back and forth in a straight line. There's not much fun to it. At least when I was younger anyway.

My arm strength was also a bit crap. I found that I would be paddling away like a cyborg, but then would cover so little distance. I'd like to see how well I could do now, haha.