N-Europe

Super Monkey Ball: Step & Roll

Hero-of-Time

Yup, the Monkeys are back :D Here's the latest from Eurogamer.

Remember that SEGA mystery game teaser site? It turns out that it was for Super Monkey Ball Step & Roll, which has just been announced.

It's due out in "early 2010" according to the trailer released alongside it today, in which AiAi can be seen playing around with a balance board, which he quickly discovers can be used to tilt the world.

There's no word on a developer, although SEGA Japan is a safe bet, and the trailer also doesn't mention whether the game requires the balance board to work, although we'd be very surprised if it didn't allow for Wii remote control as an alternative.

Step & Roll is the second Wii Monkey Ball following on from Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz, which came out alongside the Wii itself in December 2006 in Europe.

SEGA couldn't confirm any more details on the game when we got in touch this afternoon, but we would expect to hear more in the very near future, what with GamesCom taking place around this time next month in Cologne.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about time they made another Super Monkey Ball title. Hopefully, they'll stick more to the rolling than the mini-gaming. Will be interesting to see the art style for this one seeing as Banana Blitz took a more cartoony look compared with the titles that proceeded it.

What was so wrong with Banana Blitz anyway?

I remember picking it up and feeling disappointed with it. However, it's the multiplayer I'm disappointed with. The single-player is still pretty awesome, I think. Just...the multiplayer sucked so, so much.

Too many modes without more than a second's thought being put into it. The single-player would probably get a solid 8/10 from me. But, multiplayer, you're looking at about half that score...on a good day.

Anyway, it'll be nice to see how this game plays. Can't wait to hear some impressions of it.

Yes! I'm a massive Super Monkey Ball fan (even got the jerky GBA version) and this has made my day!

I would like to see some multiplayer options for the single player game. Races, banana collecting, that sort of thing.

Here's the latest from Nintendo Power.

There's an interview with the director (Jun Tokuhara) in the newest issue of Nintendo Power. Graphics engine is an upgraded version of what they used in BB, the game controls with either the Wii Remote or Balance Board, new mini games, no jumping, no bosses and a feature they couldn't talk about yet.

Many are speculating/hoping the mystery feature could be some sort of stage creation tool.

Here's some screens aswell :D

294p747.png

2lidca0.png

531vr.png

I think Super Monkey Ball needs to get back to doing what the original did best.. and that is providing a nice variety of themes and stages that require skill to complete. After the first game, the Super Monkey Ball games seem to have traded skill for luck in far too many of the stages and introduced elements (such as the Play/Pause buttons in Super Monkey Ball 2 and the Jump feature in Banana Blitz) that, for me, weaken the experience.

The reliance on luck is what ultimately made me get rid of Banana Blitz as, although I had unlocked most worlds and succeeded in sections that took a lot of perseverence, I never felt like I would be able to see the final world because I didn't feel I was in control of the outcome. Having to play through a whole world without losing a life was near impossible in the last couple of worlds as a lot of the sections were ludicrous :hmm:

It is unfortunate as the original brought with it a huge level of satisfaction upon completing levels and you never felt like it was the game's fault when you failed..

Nintendo Power info:

Graphics engine is an upgraded version of what they used in BB, the game controls with either the Wii Remote or Balance Board, new mini games, no jumping, no bosses and a feature they couldn't talk about yet.

NP245_MonkeyBall.jpg

Awesome news. :)

Edited by Dante

Why did the simplistic style of the first two seem to have much more character than this?

Then again, a lot of it came from the levels. A lot of them resembled stuff (the guitar one was simple, yet brilliant), whereas Banana Blitz had bland levels. Although we'll have to wait and see if this one has good levels.

I think Super Monkey Ball needs to get back to doing what the original did best.. and that is providing a nice variety of themes and stages that require skill to complete. After the first game, the Super Monkey Ball games seem to have traded skill for luck in far too many of the stages and introduced elements (such as the Play/Pause buttons in Super Monkey Ball 2 and the Jump feature in Banana Blitz) that, for me, weaken the experience.

The reliance on luck is what ultimately made me get rid of Banana Blitz as, although I had unlocked most worlds and succeeded in sections that took a lot of perseverence, I never felt like I would be able to see the final world because I didn't feel I was in control of the outcome. Having to play through a whole world without losing a life was near impossible in the last couple of worlds as a lot of the sections were ludicrous :hmm:

It is unfortunate as the original brought with it a huge level of satisfaction upon completing levels and you never felt like it was the game's fault when you failed..

100% true. I think this game is going to be worse if you don't have a balance board because they're going to have to make it pretty easy to navigate if it's controlled by your feet.

Yeah, it's not something that would stop me buying this game, but I much prefered the visual style of the first two.

Yeah I don't know why they tampered with it.

There's only been two so-so Monkey Ball games so far - DS Touch and Roll and Monkey Ball Adventures.

Super Monkey Ball BB was fine. Yes the multiplayer wasn't so great and they almost completely killed Monkey target off but Sega at least tried to make as many games for the new Wii remote at the time (it was an early Wii title) even though the technology didn't always match with the game. Something that Wii motion plus has solved now.

Looking forward to this new title coming out...

SMB 2 was arguably so-so. They didn't actually improve much, if anything, but made the classic single player experience worse.

On Monkey Ball 2, if you went on 'Challenge Mode' it was the same as the 1Player mode in the first game, where you had 3 lives and made it all the way through the levels.

I also much prefered the graphics from Monkey Ball 1 and 2 and I loved the music too, I'm so glad to hear that jump has gone, it felt so weird after playing the first two.

And the bosses were awful!

I'm quite looking forward to this but no matter what they use, nothing will make this game more fun that if they used the analouge stick.

On Monkey Ball 2, if you went on 'Challenge Mode' it was the same as the 1Player mode in the first game, where you had 3 lives and made it all the way through the levels.

I also much prefered the graphics from Monkey Ball 1 and 2 and I loved the music too, I'm so glad to hear that jump has gone, it felt so weird after playing the first two.

And the bosses were awful!

I'm quite looking forward to this but no matter what they use, nothing will make this game more fun that if they used the analouge stick.

Except it wasn't the same because the levels in 2 were just luck and gimmick fests.