NEurope
Caris

The App Store Thread

Not quite sure what you're asking there... but according to the instructions in the app... It uses a 30 minute window to wake you up in that ends at any time you specify. Apparently you go from light sleep to deep sleep and back again fairly frequently throughout the night.

Yeah I know there's varying depths of sleep but I was saying if, for example, you went out all night and needed to get up 3 hours later you would (most likely) still be in a deep sleep until long after your designated waking up time.

Yeah I know there's varying depths of sleep but I was saying if, for example, you went out all night and needed to get up 3 hours later you would (most likely) still be in a deep sleep until long after your designated waking up time.

Ahhh! Nah, according to the app you go between deep sleep and really light sleep every couple of hours or so. So although you wouldn't feel completely regenerated after 3 hours, it'd still do it's best to make sure you wake in the lightest sleep possible.

Actually, let me just screen grab the graph, easier than me trying to explain.

1Zd9

Ah well I don't trust it for when I need to be awake (I also don't trust myself/my alarm clock as I always worry and don't get enough sleep for fear of not waking up which is stupid I know) but I might try it out for days off when I want to get up earlyish, but there is no rush.

Cheers.

Ashley, you have an iPod teach yeah?

If so then the new version won't work for you anyway as the touch isn't supported.

I just downloaded, shall try it out tonight.

Ah well I don't trust it for when I need to be awake (I also don't trust myself/my alarm clock as I always worry and don't get enough sleep for fear of not waking up which is stupid I know)

I've suddenly developed an odd habit where I always wake up 20 minutes before my alarm goes off. I suppose that's what I get for having a slightly buggy phone as my alarm (although the alarm does still work when the phone turns itself off).

Sleep Cycle doesn't quite work. You set your alarm and it'll wake you up any time up to half an hour before. Problem is, if you don't happen to be in a light sleep during that half hour window it just wakes you up anyway. A single sleep cycle is, in theory, roughly half an hour. Some times they can be longer, and under those circumstances Sleep Cycle is worse than useless.

I noticed looking at reviews that I'm not alone in this, quite a few people have noticed it. Surely it can't be too difficult for them to just up the sleep window to 40 minutes or something?

If a sleep cycle is 30 minutes then you'd have to be pretty unlucky for it not to wake you up at the right time. And of course it should still wake you up! People have to get to work/school/job centre.

I personally think it's a good little app. Very interesting if nothing else.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't say it's worse than useless. As Dazz said, you'd have to be pretty unlucky and it should recognise whether you're going into a deep sleep or coming out of one at the start of the 30 minute window. Okay it might not wake you at your lightest sleep but it wakes you at the lightest you'll be in the 30 minute window. It also does say it can take a couple of nights to calibrate itself to your sleep patterns. Used this last night but I woke up slightly before the alarm went off due to parents being noisy. It was really interesting to see the graph of my nights sleep though... hang on lemme upload it..

sleepgraphvm.jpg

Sleep Cycle doesn't quite work. You set your alarm and it'll wake you up any time up to half an hour before. Problem is, if you don't happen to be in a light sleep during that half hour window it just wakes you up anyway. A single sleep cycle is, in theory, roughly half an hour. Some times they can be longer, and under those circumstances Sleep Cycle is worse than useless.

I noticed looking at reviews that I'm not alone in this, quite a few people have noticed it. Surely it can't be too difficult for them to just up the sleep window to 40 minutes or something?

I used it for a few days and noticed that even after the first couple of times it would say it woke me up during deep sleep. It also only woke me up earlier than my 'latest' alarm time once out of about 4 days. I don't know if it would have been any better if I'd kept it for longer but I couldn't be bothered messing about putting it next to my pillow on my small bed, when I have an iPhone dock on my bed side table.

I've suddenly developed an odd habit where I always wake up 20 minutes before my alarm goes off. I suppose that's what I get for having a slightly buggy phone as my alarm (although the alarm does still work when the phone turns itself off).

Haha, I ALWAYS do that too. It's unreal how many times I've woken up about 5 minutes before my alarm going off.

The polished version of Broken Sword (released on the Wii and DS) has been released on the app store.

I'll probably buy it later tonight.

I really hope they give Broken Sword 2 the same treatment.

Shopping Cart Hero, if you haven't got it, get it, it's bloody amazing, i'm finding it a bit annoying to control at times but other than amazing game. i've found once I jailbroke my touch, i'm using it a lot mroe to play games and shit on o0 Simpsons Arcade is good too if you've not played it, kinda like the Old School simpsons arcade, cept you can only play as Homer =/

Download 'Touch Mouse'. The ultimate tool for lazy people! It's essentially a trackpad for your laptop on your phone. Works very well and also lets you type which is perfect for when your laptop is down somewhere and you can see someone's chatting to you on Facebook but you can't be bothered going to pick it up!

Plants vs Zombies app came out today. It's really awesome. Only done a few levels but it feels just like the PC game so far.

Plants vs Zombies app came out today. It's really awesome. Only done a few levels but it feels just like the PC game so far.

Yeah, I downloaded this just the other day, already sunk a fair amount of time into it. Very good app.

(Oh and Sleep Cycle is fun, but I never use it as my only alarm)

PvZ is probably my favourite iPhone game to date. Pure awesome! Played the PC demo a while back but I never got around to actually buying it.

Gameloft games are 59p for the next 2 days. Including Earthworm Jim and Real Football 2010.

Opera Mini is available. It is fast, but lacks a little of the polish of Safari. In particular; zooming, moving around and the initial way that a page looks when it renders (unreadable text) are a little less than great. It really is very fast though.

Downloaded it today! Its lightning fast! and regarding the zoom issue, the only way I can read some websites is if it has 100% zoom anyways so not having a choice for 45% isnt really a problem for me! plus the tabs features is nowhere near as clunky or laggy as safari.. it's replaced it as a default browser!

Football Manager 2010 was released on the AppStore a few days ago. Being a huge fan I paid the £6 (or £7?) and have been playing it quite a bit in the morning when I wake up or on the train.

It's very basic and limited in what you can do. You can't give individual players instructions. In fact the only tactics options you get are how offensive you play (Offensive, balanced, defensive), what sort of passes (Long, short, mixed) and formation really.

But being FM, it's still fun and addictive. Feels like CM99/00 all over again, you can get the 2D pitch if you want but I just go for the text for a more classic feel.

Oddly enough I was just coming into this thread to see what FM2010 was like on the ipod/phone so thanks.

Im planning on getting an iPod Touch soonish so I was wondering what are the must have aps/games that you guys would recommend?

Oddly enough I was just coming into this thread to see what FM2010 was like on the ipod/phone so thanks.

Im planning on getting an iPod Touch soonish so I was wondering what are the must have aps/games that you guys would recommend?

Facebook

Thetrainline

TimeTuner (radio/alarm clock, wake up to iPod music or radio etc, sleep timer)

FM is pretty good, it can be a bit fiddly when choosing your squad but for what it is, and the price you pay, you can't really complain. I know I'll knock up a lot of playtime on it.

You can't listen to music whilst playing it though; presumably to save on processing power.