NEurope
Caris

The App Store Thread

Yeah american smartphones are like this. Lots of dumb restrictions and omissions.

My iphone should be arriving soon so i will have to make do with what i have. Tech wise the 3GS is not exciting, its the software/apps that mainly deliver. Sadly apps cant replace hardware. Will go through this topic and install stuff.

O2 are determined to push the UK to US style mobile phone pricing. Tis all about the profit, the US market and the iPhone in the UK are both proof that people will pay through the nose for their mobile contracts if they feel they have to. Moving the market towards 24-month contracts and reducing handsets subsidies is vastly boosting the profit that the networks are making. The next step is to get rid (or control) companies like The Carphone Warehouse and Phones4U (there's already a rumor of a P4U buyout by the networks) to reduce competition.

At the rate things are going next year could be teh suck for buying phone contracts, especially for O2 customers. Then again if Vodafone succeed in buying T-Mobile then it'll be them dictating the direction the phone market moves in rather than O2, they'll have a 45% share of the UK market.

I did and haven't regretted it yet. Just be warned; everything goes to hell after every major update. Still haven't re-jailbroken since 3.0 until everything is ironed out.

Will take that into account. I am reading up to see. I have to mess around with the phone to understand it better. Once i am settled i will weigh up my options. Its a matter of can i handle it?

Tethering is a tricky one because i used to do it all the time(wired and then wireless through making wifi hotspot)...

I also brought a mobileme offer for cheap lol. Should be handy with the iphone 3.0 update for pure online storage. I'll post about online storage later.

O2 are determined to push the UK to US style mobile phone pricing. Tis all about the profit, the US market and the iPhone in the UK are both proof that people will pay through the nose for their mobile contracts if they feel they have to. Moving the market towards 24-month contracts and reducing handsets subsidies is vastly boosting the profit that the networks are making. The next step is to get rid (or control) companies like The Carphone Warehouse and Phones4U (there's already a rumor of a P4U buyout by the networks) to reduce competition.

At the rate things are going next year could be teh suck for buying phone contracts, especially for O2 customers. Then again if Vodafone succeed in buying T-Mobile then it'll be them dictating the direction the phone market moves in rather than O2, they'll have a 45% share of the UK market.

Yeah the pricing system is how it is. I do hate the 18 and 24 month contract stuff alot as you are locked in. Competition does not lower prices though, its a common myth as you'll notice they barely vary aside from more minutes or text or internet etc. they have their niches tied up. Generally its up to consumers though and they mostly dont mind all these changes.

Ironicaly its the people buying 'cheap' phones mostly getting ripped off. People look at their average so so free phone £35 contract as just that. In reality at 18 months its £630 minimum. An iPhone at that rate is just £724(3G) and £800 (3GS).

I threatened to leave Vodafone last october after being on a contract with a new phone at £30 a month for twelve months - they offered me the same price for another year without a new phone. I told them I was leaving, and they rang me up before the cancellation date and said 'Hi, we can offer you 600 minutes and unlimited texts for £12 a month on a twelve month contract' (I had previously been getting something like 200 minutes and 500 texts for my £30)

They seemed pretty desperate to keep me with them when I said I was going to orange. Not really sure how it worked, but I now think I'm getting a pretty good deal.

I threatened to leave Vodafone last october after being on a contract with a new phone at £30 a month for twelve months - they offered me the same price for another year without a new phone. I told them I was leaving, and they rang me up before the cancellation date and said 'Hi, we can offer you 600 minutes and unlimited texts for £12 a month on a twelve month contract' (I had previously been getting something like 200 minutes and 500 texts for my £30)

They seemed pretty desperate to keep me with them when I said I was going to orange. Not really sure how it worked, but I now think I'm getting a pretty good deal.

£12 is good. Thats light on the pocket monthly.

Another thign is try monthly sims if you dont need a new phone but cant get a deal off them.

You could interpret it as that or maybe they should have offered that deal earlier? Devious, unless it's a strict contract.

You could interpret it as that or maybe they should have offered that deal earlier? Devious, unless it's a strict contract.

His orginal was too expensive. The new one would benifit both parties. If you are already on a good tariff they tend to let you leave lol. At the end of the day consumers need to be wiser.

Dunno how long it's on for (it did say the weekend, I only found out about it this morning) But Colums Deluxe is Free on the App store, I've jsut got it (7.30am) so it might finish up soon, dunno though.

If I bought a game, Rolando, and whilst it was downloading itunes crashed, can I redownload it?

It's a silly question but I only ask because I've loaded it back up, went to go and download it again, clicked on the Buy App button and it's asking me whether I really want to buy it...

What to do?

Great that they've put Monkey Island on the App Store! I'll probably get it if it comes down in price. Besides, I'm still going with Rolando 2 at the moment.

Completed Rolando 2 this morning, and was very pleased (and surprised!) to dicover that I'm now 15th on the overall score table online! :D

Completed Rolando 2 this morning, and was very pleased (and surprised!) to dicover that I'm now 15th on the overall score table online! :D

But are you as good as my 3 year old daughter? :heh:

But are you as good as my 3 year old daughter? :heh:

Lol, I watched the vid and she rocks. :grin:

(Did she says she likes "Olando Kart" better than Mario Kart? Cute, but nonetheless the wrong answer!)

I recently joined jailbroken iPhone group and can't recommend it anymore highly.

I haven't got any illegal apps or anything, just a few things which are so useful! Turning WiFi off and on is now easy and I don't have to go into the Settings and go through loads of options, same for Location services, 3G. I can turn my phone into a WiFi router and share its connection.

It was really easy to do too. I was really nervous about it at first in case something happened but the whole process was really easy.

Lol, I watched the vid and she rocks. :grin:

(Did she says she likes "Olando Kart" better than Mario Kart? Cute, but nonetheless the wrong answer!)

She did say that, I think she suffers from the same condition that I do, in that when someone asks her a question while she's gaming she'll not really listen and ends up spouting nonsense.

I recently joined jailbroken iPhone group and can't recommend it anymore highly.

I haven't got any illegal apps or anything, just a few things which are so useful! Turning WiFi off and on is now easy and I don't have to go into the Settings and go through loads of options, same for Location services, 3G. I can turn my phone into a WiFi router and share its connection.

It was really easy to do too. I was really nervous about it at first in case something happened but the whole process was really easy.

I'm pretty sure Jailbraking now disables Push Notifications.

Nimmbuzz - Free

Get Skype, Google Talk, Facebook messenger, msn, yahoo and much more. Use voice talk ;) as well as messaging, video etc. Nifty and free. Its like digsby but on iPhone.

Quickoffice - Paid

Let you use idisk(mobileme), attachments, a web upload service(instead of usb transfer) as well as edit and create office documents. Very useful for those who study or work.

Cooliris - Free

Like the Firefox addon. If you like showing off Google image search for example. This is a cooler, more presentable way of doing it and scrolling through lots of images.

RadioTimes - Paid

The best UK TV guide currently. Lets you search as well. If you have Sky+ this is less attractive but the extra features make it worth it. Polished but i would prefer speed to fancy animations in many places.

Shozu - Paid

Free on other mobile phones(most). Lets you upload media to many websites. From flickr to youtube to photoshop.com http://www.shozu.com/portal/tour.do?operation=where check link for full list. Its huge. Very handy.

Instapaper - Free and paid

Superb app for reading on the go. Use for large webpages. Reads sites offline. Formatted for reading. Sounds useless but trust me you will change your mind after trying it.

Yeerp - Free

Like aroundme except this has pics of locations and reviews. Including wikipedia info if possible. Interesting app. Have not found a perfect variant of this kind of thing so please recommend!

Travel apps - National Rail, London Buss and Tube Deluxe. Paid

Straightforward. You need these. Really handy. Main problem is that they are fragmented. Not always giving the best routes etc. Nevertheless still priceless.

ceCloud - Paid

Lets you stream 'from' your mobileme account to upnp devices like the PS3. Still early days but a nice app to showoff your uploaded photos.

myKillzone - Free

Check yours and others killzone stats.

I'm pretty sure Jailbraking now disables Push Notifications.

Pretty sure mine are still working...

Yep just tested now and it worked fine getting a Facebook message on eBuddy.

Edited by Charlie