NEurope
Caris

The App Store Thread

Another thing I wanted to ask. I use my current iPod more for podcasts than music or videos. Now I was originally planning on getting the 32gb but it would be nice to be able to save some money and get the 8gb, I worry though that it might not be big enough. Any thoughts?

I'm not at all impressed with Opera Mini. It works at a very similar speed to Safari, and in general safari works much "smoother". No way I'm using it as my primary browser.

Another thing I wanted to ask. I use my current iPod more for podcasts than music or videos. Now I was originally planning on getting the 32gb but it would be nice to be able to save some money and get the 8gb, I worry though that it might not be big enough. Any thoughts?

I've never even come close to filling the 8gb on my iPhone, I do tend to manage my music and podcasts quite a bit though.

My personal favourite apps are:

Tweetie

Facebook

foursquare

Stocks

Flight Control

Epicurious

IMDB

Angry Birds

Orange Wednesdays

Doodle Jump is awesome, Rock Band is also.

Sky Sports Score Centre is great for checking scores, and football news.

Flight Control mentioned above is also worth a buy.

JELLYCAR!

Facebook freaked out on me recently and wouldn't stop sending push notifications even though I turned them off, so I deleted it. Other than that there are several cool free apps out there, I have many games, and a few things I need in day to day life, such as the dictionary.com app, and the shakespeare app (which is incredible if you're studying shakespeare, as it's totally free and has all of his plays in!)

Tweetie

Opera Mini

Canabalt - try the web version! so addicitive

WhatsApp - blackberry messenging (share audio, video, gps, photos) but for anyone who has the 59p app, search contacts automatically aswell :)

Sleepcycle -monitor your sleep cycle - wakes you when you are most awake

Guardian - news :)

Tweetie

Opera Mini

Canabalt - try the web version! so addicitive

WhatsApp - blackberry messenging (share audio, video, gps, photos) but for anyone who has the 59p app, search contacts automatically aswell :)

Sleepcycle -monitor your sleep cycle - wakes you when you are most awake

Guardian - news :)

Thanks for the WhatsApp suggestion. I've been using Ping! mainly as it's free but this WhatsApp thing is soooo much better. I only really used Ping! with my girlfriend anyway so I've gifted her a copy of WhatsApp and it's awesome, no more lost messages. So ta!

WhatsApp is great, especially if you can convince as many of your iPhone owning contacts as possible to buy it :heh:

Plants vs Zombies

Scrabble

To be honest I've not really found iPhone games to be very good. There's a lot of fuss over stuff like Angry Birds and Doodle Jump but personally I don't really get them, I got bored of both after about half an hour. My most used app is probably Reeder. It's an RSS reader that syncs to Google Reader. Cracking app, best of the RSS ones that I've tried!

There are a few decent ones. The smaller flash game type ones aren't really worth buying, but there are a few that are worth the price if you go into them knowing that you're not going to get a console experience.

WhatsApp is great, especially if you can convince as many of your iPhone owning contacts as possible to buy it :heh:

At 59p! I'm laughing at the money saved :P <3 auto search of contacts!

At 59p! I'm laughing at the money saved :P <3 auto search of contacts!

Haha yeah me too on both accounts. So far I've gifted it to my dad and brother as well as neither have set up their iTunes account for buying apps. It's in my interest really that they have it I guess.

I don't really notice a difference between Opera and Safari at all, and Safari has a cleaner interface so I'll stick with that I think.

I know 2nd Generation ipod touches won't support multitasking but will they support all the gamecenter stuff? Am considering picking one up on the cheap second hand.

EDGE IS BACK ON THE APP STORE!

All of those caps' were needed for that statement.

Edited by Wesley

EDGE IS BACK ON THE APP STORE!

All of those caps' were needed for that statement.

Cheers for the recommendation - just bought it and it's pretty fun! Seems like quite a bargain for 59p!

All you FPS lovers get Archetype for the iPhone/pad. It is sublime and is the best FPS on the system. Online gaming is effortless on both 3G and WiFi. It also controls better than any FPS I've played on a mobile. It puts NOVA to shame too.

Also boy fix pix is amazing too. Uses motion to solve picture puzzles.

So I thought with the new phone and all I just list the apps I like and look for any recommendations.

Pulse News - Really sleek news reader. I've deleted both my Engadget and Kotaku apps and use this instead. Lovely app.

GFlow - Just an awesome particle simulator. So much fun. I got it when it was free but I'd definitely plonk down the money for it. It's just awesome.

iDaft - lol, no need to explain.

The Onion

Polarize - Cool little polaroid app.

Ones I don't really need to explain; Twitter, Spotify, Air Sharing (I got it way back when it was free), IMDB, Flickr.

So anything I'm missing?! Suggestions appreciated. It's a bit weird because I'm coming off having an iPod Touch so I've never been able to use anything that requires a connection or a camera.

National Rail

Urbanspoon

RedLaser

Tapatalk (there's a free Read Only version to try)

MoviesNow

DC Comics

Marvel Comics

Dropbox

LandFormer

Oddy Smog

Can definitely recommend that lot.

Im sure its a barcode scanner that searches for cheaper prices for you.

Pretty surprised no one has archetype or eboy fix pix. Both essential gaming experiences IMO.

Have they changed the name or something? I can't seem to find it on the app store... RedLaser, right?

Edit: Never mind me. I couldn't find it on my Touch but it's there on my iPhone. Weird.

RedLaser just got bought by ebay. Is it still a decent app? There's a review that says its sold out and a bit crap now. Just one review from what I saw but just wondered what people here though.

Edited by Daft

eBay bought RedLaser at the end of June. RedLaser was last updated on the 30th March. It's exactly the same as it was back then. The reviewer is obviously a complete and utter dolt.

Edited by McPhee

Edit: Never mind me. I couldn't find it on my Touch but it's there on my iPhone. Weird.

I assume that's because it uses the camera, so it wouldn't work on a Touch.