NEurope
Caris

The App Store Thread

when it hits new years day I am officially just two weeks from my mobile contract being up for upgrade and me leaving tmobile and their shitty service and finally getting me a mother fucking iphone 3gs!

I'm two weeks away from getting my 3GS too - can't wait!

My favourite gaming apps:

Rolando and Rolando 2 - easily my favourite games - hours of fun. And I'm still in the Top 30 on the world leaderboard for Rolando 2 too. :D

Boxed In - Fun puzzler, and very satisfying when higher levels are completed

Word Scramble - Very addictive word game

Peggle - Another very addictive one

The iphone and the app store in particular is the greatest invention of the past 10 years (okay, possibly 3rd behind DS and Wii ;) ). But it is so good, and I hated the thing at first, but it's completely won me round.

I wouldn't say that... There are many improvements it needs... Apps getting rejected because they conflict with something Apple do, not allowing the NetShare app last summer, and a few other things too which I can't think of right now.

People should be able to add their own things to it whenever they want like Cydia lets you.

While I do think there are some things they need to allow that they don't, they need to do some filtering on the content. They can't just allow illegal stuff in the store.

crackling is normal unfortunately. Look to Nokia for brilliant stereo speakers on mobile devices.

Headphones and docks are a must for rocking out with a pod. Unfortunate but just another of Apple's cutbacks in their devices. Shame.

Mine doesn't.

My iphone doesn't but all of my mates iPod touch's do. Maybe certain music settings are on? Mess around in your iPod settings menu to see if it helps.

Don't get tom clancy HAWX. One mission early in cannot be done, Engage enemy you fail, avoid enemy you fail. WTF

My iphone doesn't but all of my mates iPod touch's do. Maybe certain music settings are on? Mess around in your iPod settings menu to see if it helps.

The iPod Touch is a thinner device, and Apple actually said when they put the speaker in, that it was difficult to do on such a thin device, and that it was for 'casual' listening. I think even they recognise it's not the best. The iPhone one isn't bad though.

Here are my top picks...

Apps:

Facebook - You have it.

Tweetie 2 - amazing.

BeeJiveIM - great messenger app. Supports msn and a few others.

Shazam - You probably have this but it's so useful for identifying random cool tracks you hear in cafes and such.

The official Geocaching app - Awesome, but you'd have to be into geocaching

MLIA lite - Free and I love My Life Is Average.

Stanza - Actually got quite a few free books on this and it's not as awkward to read on an iPhone as you'd expect.

Guardian - As dazzybee said, great interface.

NationalRail - For those train time disasters.

RedLaser - For hunting down best deals online when out in a store, this is amazing. I also use it to scan things I want to remember that I want.

PS Mobile - Free, official and crammed full of simple photoshopping features that should already be in Apple's photos app.

GuitarToolkit / TabToolkit - Awesome if you have a guitar.

TVGuide - TV on your iphone for Free. Woo!

Flixster- obvs.

2Do - The tweetie 2 of to do apps. LOVELY interface. I actually just sit around playing with it sometimes it's so nice to use.

Games:

Bejeweled 2 -Blitz mode is especially addictive. Links with facebook. One day I will beat Rez's score.

Catan - Im a board game geek and this is a great mobile version of settler's of catan

Crosswords - Downloads new crosswords every day from a selection of newspapers.

DoodleJump - SO simple but SO addictive. They're always updating it too which is nice.

Galcon Labs - Excellent short (1-2 mins a time) bursts of rts multiplayer style fun. VERY worth checking out.

Labyrinth 2 - The new gadgets make it so much better. An infinite amount of player made maps available to download. V Addictive.

Mafia Wars - A bit shallow but it's free and get a couple of friends added and it gets quite competitive.

PathPix Pro - A simple puzzle game that's perfect for iPhone. Very simple and not too taxing but it's really addictive. Check it out.

Rock Band - Decent, solid mobile version. Real tracks and the correct instruments cut out if you fuck up.

Canabalt - Simple, awesome, same as the flash version but it's just epic. Support indie devs and get this.

Dark Nebula - Excellent futuristic labyrinth type game. Beautifully designed levels and graphics. Bit short though.

Eliss - No game on the iPhone uses multitouch as well as this game. Really awesome once you get it and incredibly difficult. I wasn't even aware the iPhone was capable of more than 2 fingers multitouch until this game.

Space Invaders: Infinity Gene - Gorgeously styled shooter and recently updated with more levels.

Soosiz - Nice little mario galaxy style 2d platformer.

Spider - Awesome game. Controls beautifully, there's a mystery behind the gameplay to solve and it's just a must buy really.

Wriggle - Nice littler puzzler. Think rush hour with bendy cars.

Zen Bound - GORGEOUS 3D puzzle game. Very unique. I got a little tired of the full game but you HAVE to check out the demo.

Most of the apps there, especially the games, have free versions so check them out if you haven't heard of them before.

Let's Golf is today's free app. Not surprised to see Gameloft get a freebie in there alongside EA as they are well, the EA of the mobile world.

Quality title. Wonder what the final day brings...

Don't get tom clancy HAWX. One mission early in cannot be done, Engage enemy you fail, avoid enemy you fail. WTF

Could it be that you're just a crap player?

Could it be that you're just a crap player?

No, it's just not clear what you are meant to do

No, you fail.

;)

Favorite Apps So Far:

SciCalLite - 2 line display scientific calculator with some extra stuff. The Paid version has more extra stuff.

myPSN - Great if you have a PS3. See which of your friends are online, what they're playing, and compare trophies. ($0.99)

LockBox - Keep private notes and information private

DoBot ToDos - Best free to dos app

Google Earth - Google Earth on the go.

Flashlight - A light of any colour, plus special effects like a strobe light.

Tuner - Great if you play an instrument. (Requires Microphone)

Omegle - I prefer it too the browser based version ($0.99)

AppMiner - App Store Browser, works better for browsing, but you can't download apps from it.

Favorite Games:

Tap Tap Revenge 3 - Guitar Hero Clone

Eliminate Pro - FPS with online multiplayer

Cube - FPS with online multiplayer

QuestKnight - Basic arcade style hack and slash with good production values

Seed - Free RPG, similar to Secret of Mana.

Bouncedown - very casual arcade "platformer".

Assasin's Creed: Altiar's Chronicles - Port of the DS game, but cheaper. The Controls are awkward, but its still fun to play. Demo Avaliable. ($4.99)

Gangstar: West Coast Hustler - Cheap GTA Clone, worth playing for the price. ($4.99)

I asked a while back, and didn't get an answer (Possibly because my post was the last post on a page), but, has anyone found an App that allows you to use your iPhone/iPod Touch as a bluetooth headset? When I paired it to my PS3, the console saw it as an audio input device, I couldn't get it to receive audio input from the iPod though.

Edited by Emasher

Stuwii, they wouldn't release an impossible game.

Atleast not the first level. Either your not reading something, your not a good player, or your just retarded.

Others have done it, so its not impossible.

NationalRail - For those train time disasters.

Does that not cost about £5? Go for the thetrainline app which I imagine does the same thing as NationalRail but is free.

GuitarToolkit / TabToolkit - Awesome if you have a guitar.

Would you recommend this app for beginner guitar players? The price is a bit steep, if I buy this does it mean I won't need to buy a tuner? Cheers :)

It seems you are meant to protect even though comm message says otherwise