NEurope
Retro_Link

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Right got this game a few days ago, brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Annoyingly, having already beaten bowser, all i'm doing now is having to do those damn prankster comets :( Not finding these particularly fun, currently around 90 stars and not sure whether I should bother going for the 120? Apparently it's worth it but all you got in the first game was Luigi so i'm hoping this is better?

Annoyingly, having already beaten bowser, all i'm doing now is having to do those damn prankster comets :( Not finding these particularly fun, currently around 90 stars and not sure whether I should bother going for the 120? Apparently it's worth it but all you got in the first game was Luigi so i'm hoping this is better?

It's much better and actually I find it much more fun than collecting the 120 stars.

Right got this game a few days ago, brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Well, it's better, yes. I should put this in a spoiler:

[spoiler=]After you get 120 Stars, you get the chance to find "Green Stars". There are two or three in each Galaxy and it's basically a test of your triple jump and wall jump.

Personally, I'm starting to get tired of it after 200+ Stars (overall), as some of the World 6 and World S Stars are far harder than getting the first 120 Stars. It's worth it if you want a harder challenge than getting 120, but as it is, I stick to my view that 120 should mean 100% completion in Mario games.

Right will try to avoid Grazza's spoilers (for now). Will take your guys word on it.

Fantastic game it has to be said, I'm just a bit disappointed in how easy the game can be :/ What i LOVED about Mario 64 is that you could spend ages getting sidetracked and finding new paths and end up getting a completely different star to the one you were looking for in the first place. You rarely get that in this game; whenever I've gone round looking for a secret star I've always been like 'ooo what's over here then' only to find I just need to give that greedy fat Luma a few coins. Kind of annoying! The biggest culprit by far was Hightail Falls or whatever it was. I didn't notice the Luma towards the end of the level at first so when I went back to find the star I figured that, during the second section where you are running upwards, you had to grab the second chilli thing and get to the very top and then maybe use Yoshi's spare speed to maybe jump to a far away cloud (I LOSE SO MANY LIVES DOING THIS!!! Thought you could land on the clouds you see around the level :heh:) but in the end I found the Luma at the end.

Eugh. Oh well. The music is magical, almost orgasmic.

Well, it's better, yes. I should put this in a spoiler:

[spoiler=]After you get 120 Stars, you get the chance to find "Green Stars". There are two or three in each Galaxy and it's basically a test of your triple jump and wall jump.

Personally, I'm starting to get tired of it after 200+ Stars (overall), as some of the World 6 and World S Stars are far harder than getting the first 120 Stars. It's worth it if you want a harder challenge than getting 120, but as it is, I stick to my view that 120 should mean 100% completion in Mario games.

I agree mate, I'm on 211 and it's starting to take the piss.

Nintendo can give out as many instructional DVD's as they want, no way are those that need to watch it going to get every star in this game.

(Well, I'd be bloody surprised if someone that's new to gaming could manage it, put it that way.)

Some of them completely take the piss! :D

I just did the...

...purple coin challenge on the 8-bit Mario stage, where the Cosmic Clones are about too...

...Absolutely fantastic! Almost too much fun. :hehe:

That level nearly killed me! It was so frustrating but i've never been so satisfied at getting a star in ages! I hate them damn cosmic clones!!

Yes! I got all 120 stars today. :grin:

I'm unsure whether it iswas harder than Super Mario Galaxy for me but it is a brilliant game none the less. Both are amazing games in their own right i feel its wrong to compare such excellence. Each offer a different experience.

I have to say the next part of this game is great, really fun!

i'm doing World 6 and World S first. Got about 150 stars now. Oh and they are not too difficult so far. :)

Oh and on Super Mario Galaxy (the first one) I went from 105 stars to 119 I'm stuck on Luigi's purple coin challenge.

That level nearly killed me! It was so frustrating but i've never been so satisfied at getting a star in ages! I hate them damn cosmic clones!!

That was easy once you knew the star location. Which is avaialable in 2 seconds. I know my latest star but I really can't be bothered to get it. Fuck you Shigsy.

I'm stuck on Luigi's purple coin challenge.

Long jump and a spin is your friend

So, my Wii will piss one me once I reach 120 stars? (currently at 90)

Yep, just make sure to have the 'sync slot' open and remember to remove any inserted SD cards, otherwise you're good to go! :laughing:

---------------------------------------------

On a serious note... has anyone else since playing/partly completing SMG2 had an uncontrollable urge to play SM64 again? I have but I'm trying to resist until I've got all the green stars but still... tempting. :D

Yep, just make sure to have the 'sync slot' open and remember to remove any inserted SD cards, otherwise you're good to go! :laughing:

---------------------------------------------

On a serious note... has anyone else since playing/partly completing SMG2 had an uncontrollable urge to play SM64 again? I have but I'm trying to resist until I've got all the green stars but still... tempting. :D

OMG I have that urge bad yesterday :) I started a Mario 64 file and tried to match my previous record for completing the game (around 18 minutes) but I think I'm gonna have to do a 100% run through during the week. I have such horrid memories of Tick Tock Clock *shudder*

Huh? How do you get the very last Prankster Star, it won't show up for me?

...you have to give 9999 star bits to the bank toad. Nearlt at that point myself - 228 stars now!

I purrrrrchased this today!

Now taking bets on how long it will actually take me to play it ^_^

I kind of want to wait until I move to London and play with my friend who played with me/watched me play the first but I know with her working full time and me doing uni full time (and perhaps a job) its just not going to happen.

Hmm, time would be a wonderful thing.

[spoiler=]Have you got the Comet Coin? It's off the ledge to the right of the Hammer Bros. If you have, then it must be the bank thing (I had 9999 anyway).

Personally, I've got 241 Stars now. Star 242 is going to take quite a few swear words!

I've now got 123 stars. The comet star on the...

...throwback boss stage was evil because of Bouldergeist!

:shakehead ARGH! I hated that thing on Galaxy 1 and I still hate it. :heh: Fiery Piranha was a pain in the arse too, as I'd always be on like a single bit of health by that point because of bloody Bouldergeist.

Got there in the end though.

So, on to the green stars. Just got the first 3...

...I wasn't expecting it to be so easy, but I take it the initial ones are set-up like that just to trick you into thinking it'll be a walk in the park, right? :hehe:

:shakehead ARGH! I hated that thing on Galaxy 1 and I still hate it. :heh: Fiery Piranha was a pain in the arse too, as I'd always be on like a single bit of health by that point because of bloody Bouldergeist.

So, on to the green stars. Just got the first 3...

...I wasn't expecting it to be so easy, but I take it the initial ones are set-up like that just to trick you into thinking it'll be a walk in the park, right? :hehe:

They get incredibly hard. Never have I had to do such precise jumps! a triple jump and a spin perfectly timed so that you jump to a star which is off the stage is uber hard. I remember trying to get a green star in flip switch galaxy which is so high you have to SPIN!

Damn it D:

I usually get to 100 stars before completing a game, but since I was expecting 8 worlds I accidently completed it last night - with 80 stars. Bowsers Galaxy Generator didn't give it away either...

An exceptional game throughout, still not keen on the map menu - but hey, thats preference I suppose. It just makes the game feel shorter for some reason.

I finally bought this!

Started it this morning, and currently have 10 stars.

Favourite part so far is the noise Yoshi makes when he takes a hit. So heartbreakingly cute.

It's funny, I love Bouldergeist. The key is to keep moving, get in close and swing two bombs into him at once. Of course, you have to make sure the bombs have fully formed and the ground is clear for a few seconds before you do it, but I wouldn't put him amongst the harder bosses of the Galaxy games. I don't think I could do a Daredevil run with Gobblegut, for instance.

As for the Green Stars, some of them require well-timed triple jumps. The biggest problem I had actually was with depth perception. Sometimes the camera is fixed and you have to jump into the Star, but you can't line up your jump properly.

Now, I just want to say something about Star 242. Be warned: think very carefully whether you want to get more than 120 Stars, because to be honest it's ruined the game for me. I must have tried (and failed) Star 242 about 80 times. It's so difficult it actually made me feel ill.

I know that sounds weak, but bear in mind I got 120 Shine Sprites in Mario Sunshine without too much problem. The difficulty of this Star is just silly. It's frustrating and goes against the "forgiving but challenging" gameplay Mario is known for.

Just a thought.

Now, I just want to say something about Star 242. Be warned: think very carefully whether you want to get more than 120 Stars, because to be honest it's ruined the game for me. I must have tried (and failed) Star 242 about 80 times. It's so difficult it actually made me feel ill.

I'm at the last star too and just spent about 35 lives trying and failing. The first three parts are not hard at all and what I find really annoying is that you have to do them over and over again, because you just die at the fourth or (God forbid!) the fifth part. Really, it's not that hard, it's just unforgiving.

I have a question, though: do you have to kill all the monsters in that last part in order to make the star appear or is it enough to just kill the boomerang guys?

I'm at the last star too and just spent about 35 lives trying and failing. The first three parts are not hard at all and what I find really annoying is that you have to do them over and over again, because you just die at the fourth or (God forbid!) the fifth part. Really, it's not that hard, it's just unforgiving.

I have a question, though: do you have to kill all the monsters in that last part in order to make the star appear or is it enough to just kill the boomerang guys?

Just the boomerang guys, I ignored all the Hammer Bros that weren't in my way

Damn! I keep getting to the very last part and up to the boomerang bros, but then I get hit by the one hammer I didn't see. They are black on a dark blue background so they are hard to see (bad excuse!). Nah, I know, it's always my own fault. But I'm getting better, as I said, I always get to the very last part now. Will definitely do it tomorrow.