NEurope
Retro_Link

Super Mario Galaxy 2

anyone know if you can get the track which was featured in the debut trailer? think its sky station? + gusty garden mix?

I was wondering whether any one had the Super Mario Galaxy 2 track listings?

Wikipedia had the lists for the first game (see here) but doesn't for the second game. Even VGMdb doesn't have the track lists. :(

No a new one forms, which is uber hard... and there are two stars and comet coin in it, taking you to 242!

Shouldn't there in theory be 243 stars then? being that there is a comet coin which usually results in you being able to get another star...

Shouldn't there in theory be 243 stars then? being that there is a comet coin which usually results in you being able to get another star...

The second star is the Prankster Comet for that stage.

And it's pretty impossible...

The second star is the Prankster Comet for that stage.

And it's pretty impossible...

Ah right... in that case, I look foward to it...

when I get there...

if I get there...

one day...

So, I'm now at 170.

Is it worth getting all the other green's for the final level?

So, I'm now at 170.

Only if you're a truly excellent player and love a challenge. Whatever you do, don't frustrate yourself trying to do any of it from now on. There's no shame in getting a strategy from an FAQ - it just makes it more enjoyable. Mario games are hard enough anyway - I don't feel I'm cheating if I just read how to do it!

Now, I still haven't got Star 242, but has anyone else gone back to the original Mario Galaxy? I'm doing Luigi's stars. which I never did at the time. Let me tell you, Galaxy 2 sharpens up your gameplay skills! I've done the 1-hit Bouldergeist and Major Burrows fights, and they were easy.

I've also noticed that Galaxy 2 has better graphics, controls and general game design. I was playing Dusty Dunes, that bit where you go through quite "flat" holes in the ground. It's very difficult to go in the right direction. I find there is much less disorientation in Galaxy 2, with the planetoids, gravity effects etc.

So, I'm now at 170.

Not really.

Currently doing those green stars, at a pretty slow rate though, partly because I've been distracted with finishing other forgotten games that I have this summer.

Anyway, does anyone know where the 2nd green star is in Rightside Down Galaxy (I think thats it). It's the galaxy in World 1 where you have to change the gravity going up and down.

Can't find it anyway! :S

I also find it strange that I think that so far I've enjoyed Galaxy 1 more than this game. Maybe that's just because in Galaxy 1 everything is so new. I don't know :/ The opening sequence in the 1st game also completely DESTROYS Galaxy 2's opening sequence. Just thinking of Peach's Castles reflection on the water...

EDIT: Never mind, found that star. Finished the game with all stars yesterday as well. I think it's worth it ^_^

Edited by Frank

I also find it strange that I think that so far I've enjoyed Galaxy 1 more than this game.

I'm quite the other way. Apart from the cutscenes (which Galaxy 1 just owns at) and "wow factor", I feel Galaxy 2 is better in almost every way.

On another note, has anyone noticed that the music in Galaxy 2 seems a lot more "emotionally charged" than in Galaxy 1? It feels much more similar to a film soundtrack as opposed to a game one.

The music in Galaxy 2 is mostly forgetabble. The Sky Station, cloud galaxy and retro tunes are good but apart from that I can't remember any. Galaxy 1 had about a dozen memorable, epic tunes.

Level design in Galaxy 1 is far better and whilst I can remember every galaxy from that game, in Galaxy 2 because there are so many forgettable badly designed ones, the game feels less solid. Still fun though but I can't see the hype as to why this one is supposedly better.

Maybe I'm just completely retarded, but I honestly believe the music in Galaxy 2 just rapes that in Galaxy 1. I've got both soundtracks, and I've been listening to them both all day and I feel Galaxy 2 is just so much more spectacular. I just think it feels more mature, and overall more interesting.

*Shrugs*

I think Galaxy 2 has a tad more really memorable tracks than Galaxy 1. Particularly, I believe the Yoshi Star Galaxy theme has everything else beaten hands-down.

I just don't think you can beat Good Egg, Buoy Base, Gusty Garden, Battlerock and the observatory track itself. But then I don't have the complete soundtrack of Galaxy 2 to hand.

Oh well, all subjective...

Galaxy 2 soundtrack for the win - it's so much grander than number 1. Ronnie lists some epic tunes but they kinda fall flat compared to the incredible opening of Sky Station Galaxy!

The music in Galaxy 2 is mostly forgetabble. The Sky Station, cloud galaxy and retro tunes are good but apart from that I can't remember any. Galaxy 1 had about a dozen memorable, epic tunes.

Level design in Galaxy 1 is far better and whilst I can remember every galaxy from that game, in Galaxy 2 because there are so many forgettable badly designed ones, the game feels less solid. Still fun though but I can't see the hype as to why this one is supposedly better.

I wouldn't say the galaxy's are badly designed at all. In fact they are brilliantly designed from a gaming perspective. Every planet may not fit together in the same way that they did in Galaxy 1, but I feel that's because there were so many ideas to put into this game that they worried less about continuity and more about general awesomeness. I'm sure they'll also be just as memorable after you play each level as many times as you did with Galaxy 1, as there were usually around 6 stars for each galaxy, plus you did them all over again with luigi afterwards. Of course by 'you' I am now talking about everyone, not you particularly Ronnie, although you may well have done this too :)

Anyway, does anyone know where the 2nd green star is in Rightside Down Galaxy (I think thats it). It's the galaxy in World 1 where you have to change the gravity going up and down.

Then you have to jump on the outside area?

Currently doing those green stars, at a pretty slow rate though, partly because I've been distracted with finishing other forgotten games that I have this summer.

I also find it strange that I think that so far I've enjoyed Galaxy 1 more than this game. Maybe that's just because in Galaxy 1 everything is so new. I don't know :/ The opening sequence in the 1st game also completely DESTROYS Galaxy 2's opening sequence. Just thinking of Peach's Castles reflection on the water...

In the latter part of the level, there are 6 consecutive Thwomps; three that squash from up-going-down (like normal), then three which are the opposite. You need to jump 'on-top' of the very last one (gravity will be reversed at this point, remember), then you can jump to an area that was previously off-screen. The star will be there.

What I'm stuck with is getting the first green star on that level...

:D Mission Accomplished!...

Finally got 'em all the other day:

smg2comp.jpg

Quite a high death count, but a lot of those were down to the last star, plus maybe 100 or so were me killing myself on A Stroll Down Rolling Lane while stocking up on Star Bits / having an absolute blast. Love that stage! :bouncy:

Must admit though I wasn't a huge fan of the Green Stars. :hmm: Bar like 1 or 2 I didn't find them challenging at all, and having that bloody "Prankster Comet Detected!" message before every single one got quite irritating. Especially as Nintendo had done such a great job of streamlining the experience up to that point.

Last level was quality though. icon14.gif

I actually got the regular star for it on my very first go! :cool: At which point I was like, "this ain't so bad, 242 is gonna be easy!" How foolish was I? :heh:

Yep, The Perfect Run kicked my ass... a lot. :laughing:

Soooooooo much fun playing it though, it would occasionally make me just burst out laughing at the difficulty.

After around 30 attempts I was able to make it to the final part with ease, but those damn hammer/boomerang bros. were something else. :eek: I was so relieved when I finally completed it. :D

I know one thing for sure, I won't be forgetting it any time soon. A truly memorable gaming experience right there, it's definitely worth enduring the green stars to be able to try it out.

As for the soundtrack, I think it was excellent throughout.

When the horns fully kick-in on this track... Phenomenal!:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

And this one, automatic goosebumps every time!:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Then you've got classics like these too:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Gold. :bowdown:

Yep, if Nintendo decide to make Galaxy 3 and follow the same formula of improvement seen in this game, then bring it on I say!

: peace:

DAMN RIGHT REDSHELL!

:)

MELTY MONSTER GALAXY ORCHESTRA FTW!!!!!

:o

I'd so like to see them play that live!

I'm surprised there's even a discussion. To me Galaxy 2 is easily up there with the first game, and has fresh new gameplay ideas of it's own that completely justify the sequel. My 10 year old daughter is now well into the Greens stars, while sadly her rubbish dad lags behind on 70 stars! :D Watching her play it, and the game never ceases to astound with it's sheer creativity. The SMW vibe really grabs me in too, and I'm always looking out for references, which there seem to be quite a few of. :D

It's completely a 10 out of 10 experience for me. For something like this to still amaze and surprise you after already playing through the first game is no mean feat. It's the single one game that keeps me gaming still.

MELTY MONSTER GALAXY ORCHESTRA FTW!!!!!

:o

I'd so like to see them play that live!

Yup, would be amazing. :hehe:

They should just put together a DVD of all the studio recordings, like this one:

and stick it on Club Nintendo. :awesome:

I'd agree that Galaxy 2 is an absolute equal. What the game looses by having a similar formula to Galaxy 1, it makes up with awesome level design.