NEurope
Retro_Link

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Been playing more, but oh gawd the music is freaking sweet. It feels more like a film soundtrack than a video game one.

I think I've given up on the Green Star hunt, I've got about 30ish left and it's just plain boring.

So, gentlemen.

Is Galaxy 2 better or worse than Galaxy 1?

I haven't finished it, so I'll come to that conclusion when I'm finished.

I think I've given up on the Green Star hunt, I've got about 30ish left and it's just plain boring.

I completely agree - all that crap about the game "unlocking" is a load of baloney. Fair enough, you have to use skill to get them, but virtually every single star involves either a triple jump or long jump. Plus, the typically linear nature of the levels works great in normal mode, but for exploration they're pretty weak.

So, gentlemen.

Is Galaxy 2 better or worse than Galaxy 1?

I haven't finished it, so I'll come to that conclusion when I'm finished.

The general consensus (I haven't played Galaxy 2 yet) seems to be that both have stronger and weaker parts but they're both so brilliant that there's not really any difference in quality between the two.

Both are excellent and one does things better than the other, but in my opinion, Galaxy 1 is a better game.

The quantity over quality nature of the galaxies in Galaxy 2, plus poorer soundtrack and lack of 'magic' (?) that Galaxy 1 provided means personally I definitely preferred the original. Mainly because of the galaxies themselves though. I found a lot of them to be quite poor in Galaxy 2.

Interesting, so far I'm preferring the soundtrack and level design in Galaxy 2 to Galaxy 1. Although SMG2 is less "wowy" because it's not the first time we've seen this Galaxy structure before.

Only one star to go now.

And I won't ever be able to get it.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to make do with 99,5867768590413% completion.

Interesting, so far I'm preferring the soundtrack and level design in Galaxy 2 to Galaxy 1. Although SMG2 is less "wowy" because it's not the first time we've seen this Galaxy structure before.

This post is the truest of all. Everything is basically Galaxy 1 but just done a lot better, which I thought was impossible.

Climbing out the water at the end of Slimey Spring galaxy to a secluded part, with a sunset and birds chirping was pretty special.

Thanks for utterly spoiling this, by the way

Personally, I thought Galaxy 2 had the better beginning. I'd better not say what happens (I suppose it's a spoiler), but I was more impressed with it than the original game (which did seem to take a while to get going).

I would say Galaxy 2 also has the better soundtrack, if only for the Super Mario World influence.

Overall, viewing both as 120-Star games, I'd say I enjoyed Galaxy 2 a lot more because of Yoshi, the power-ups and the general level design. They're so close though, it's easy to see why someone could prefer either of them.

I just found a lot of the level designs in this game to be a little lazy. Like take Starshine beach or whatever the name is, in principle I was really looking forward to the Sunshine-inspired galaxy, but what we ended up with was a dull, flat, boring galaxy with little to no visual flair or interest. It was a flat mass of water, with a few obstacles dotted around the place that you had to take on one by one.

Now compare that to the intricately detailed and interesting beach level from Galaxy 1 (the circular race track with the bit in the middle). No contest which is better; and the latter was one of the weakest galaxies in the original anyway. Then compare it to the world from Sunshine with the 3 giant mirrors you had to butt stomp into place, and that had you rolling watermelons down the hill to the goal. What do we get in Galaxy 2? Collect the stars from a dull lifeless 'beach'. Meh.

I think Galaxy 2 is a stunning game, with some fantastic galaxies but it's definitely quantity over quality IMO, which lets it down big time.

Another example, every single retro level from Mario Sunshine was better than the equivalent galaxy in World S.

Edited by Ronnie

I think Galaxy 2 is a stunning game, with some fantastic galaxies but it's definitely quantity over quality IMO, which lets it down big time.

Interesting, I always thought that Galaxy 2 was far more varied. Anyone remember the 6 stars in total from Gusty Gardens Galaxy? ;)

I just found a lot of the level designs in this game to be a little lazy. Like take Starshine beach or whatever the name is, in principle I was really looking forward to the Sunshine-inspired galaxy, but what we ended up with was a dull, flat, boring galaxy with little to no visual flair or interest. It was a flat mass of water, with a few obstacles dotted around the place that you had to take on one by one.

That's true, that galaxy was a bit of a letdown (or rather, the fact that there weren't as many beach levels as I expected) - it didn't even have the churning water of Galaxy 1. That said, I found it less frustrating than the "race track" galaxy in the original - I remember spending hours and hours looking for purple coins and kept falling off the big tree!

In fact, you've just reminded me why I prefer Galaxy 2 - there's only one untimed purple coin hunt!

In fact, you've just reminded me why I prefer Galaxy 2 - there's only one untimed purple coin hunt!

Timed, you mean.

No, it's the untimed ones I dislike, as you can spend ages on it then make a mistake at the last minute. The desert and lava ones in Galaxy 1 were terrible for that. I think there was only one untimed one in Galaxy 2 - the cake-themed galaxy?

I was expecting much more from the green stars after reading a lot of peoples' reactions on here. It's a bit boring and

you can often see where they are during the opening panning shot or while Mario's flying in at the start. In fact on the level I just did (first one with cloud mario, whatever that's called), you could see the second star while Mario was pulling his star-get pose around the first one. Once you realise that all it takes to reach most of them is a triple jump or the sacrifice of Yoshi, there's not much challenge.

Wow, finally finished this yesterday after spending all morning on that last star lol.

So 242 stars with a death count of an appallingly high 323 :( It would have been under 300 had it not been for that last b*stard star lol

What a game - GOTY for sure, possible my favorite game this generation.

Wow, finally finished this yesterday after spending all morning on that last star lol.

So 242 stars with a death count of an appallingly high 323 :( It would have been under 300 had it not been for that last b*stard star lol

What a game - GOTY for sure, possible my favorite game this generation.

Zechs how the hell have you been playing this and still be highly active on MH3 online? are you playing both at the same time or something, haha.

I've not touched Galxay 2 in a week now cuz of MH3, and even then it was only for like 20mins :heh:... is there something wrong with me?

No, it's the untimed ones I dislike, as you can spend ages on it then make a mistake at the last minute. The desert and lava ones in Galaxy 1 were terrible for that. I think there was only one untimed one in Galaxy 2 - the cake-themed galaxy?

Ok, I got you, I just thought you meant timed cause I'm sure there's more than one untimed Purple Coin stages.

At least the Sweet Mystery Galaxy one isn't timed either. And I think there's more.

Zechs how the hell have you been playing this and still be highly active on MH3 online? are you playing both at the same time or something, haha.

I've not touched Galxay 2 in a week now cuz of MH3, and even then it was only for like 20mins :heh:... is there something wrong with me?

lol something like that mate! Galaxy 2 has sucked the other half of my life into the Wii. But now this is finished I'm diverting resources to Sin and Punishment 2!

Ok, I got you, I just thought you meant timed cause I'm sure there's more than one untimed Purple Coin stages.

At least the Sweet Mystery Galaxy one isn't timed either. And I think there's more.

I don't think Tall Trunk is technically timed either, but of course you are forced to keep moving.

Thanks for utterly spoiling this, by the way

Last Galaxy available, something after all the greens?

Last Galaxy available, something after all the greens?

No a new one forms, which is uber hard... and there are two stars and comet coin in it, taking you to 242!