NEurope
Retro_Link

Super Mario Galaxy 2

I just got star 241 this evening, but need to grind for star bits to get the last comet to appear (currently have around 7000). I can tell it's going to be tough getting through that level unscathed...

I just got star 241 this evening, but need to grind for star bits to get the last comet to appear (currently have around 7000).

Just do the Melty Monsters second star again and again (the one where you have to roll at high speed as Rock Mario). By just dying over and over again at the end of the level I got 1800 star bits in just 15 minutes.

55 lives and counting on the final star.. and I've probably only got to the last section six or seven times out of those! My closest go was when I managed to defeat the last boomerang bro, but a stray hammer came and hit me straight afterwards, which I couldn't have avoided. So annoying!

55 lives and counting on the final star.. and I've probably only got to the last section six or seven times out of those! My closest go was when I managed to defeat the last boomerang bro, but a stray hammer came and hit me straight afterwards, which I couldn't have avoided. So annoying!

Oh, that's gotta suck :s

Guys and...guys.

Can you transfer this save file between Wiis? I know some games are a bitch in regards to this but as I have the house to myself for a week I wanna use the living room Wii (and am too lazy to take mine down and faff around with all the wires in the unit).

Cheers.

(as I've yet to start it I thought I'd ask first)

Yeh, you can transfer the save file between different Wiis. So long as you at least load the game up once on the console you want to transfer the file to (You don't need to start playing the game. Taking it to the press A + B screen is all you need to do), you can then return to the Channel screen and transfer the file over for playing.

Cheers for that. I may actually play this game!

(shame Best Buy stuck one of those thin strip security tags on the cardboard box :()

Did it! :D must have taken around 75 tries, but I finally got the final star. Total playtime: 31 hours, total deaths: 550. :red:

Just do the Melty Monsters second star again and again (the one where you have to roll at high speed as Rock Mario). By just dying over and over again at the end of the level I got 1800 star bits in just 15 minutes.

That got me too!! I must have tried at least 50 times but I was determined to do it. I kept getting to the end then couldn't seem to jump onto the very last platform. Ended up quitting, playing as luigi and did it within three attempts!

Twas one of the more satisfying stars!

Climbing out the water at the end of Slimey Spring galaxy to a secluded part, with a sunset and birds chirping was pretty special.

Still haven't got my copy yet. It was shipped on release. :(

Stupid international postage!

Still haven't got my copy yet. It was shipped on release. :(

Stupid international postage!

Funny enough, I didn't order, a gaming store imported the things and there were plenty of them so I just went 'meh why not' and bought it :heh:

Completed the game by the way, God I don't know how gaming sites are going to decide on what game of the year will be. and we are only just halfway through the year :hmm:

Climbing out the water at the end of Slimey Spring galaxy to a secluded part, with a sunset and birds chirping was pretty special.

That has to be a highlight. It was just so magical! And the music in that level was weird, creepy in a way.

Why does this game come with an instructional DVD, a leaflet explaining how to perform the moves (and the same probably repeated in the manual but I've not checked) and obviously the in-game tutorials? Its not that difficult.

It's all part of the "get everyone who doesn't normally game into gaming". My Mum would probably find them very handy just for getting a grasp on 3D gaming itself. Saying that, no matter how many DVDs and instructions you throw in, she still would've gotten stuck indefinitely at some of the bosses.

What do you know, the one day I complain it wasn't here it decides to come. Yippie!

Just slowly floating through it. What can I say, it's great. But you all already knew that...

Finished the game last night with 108ish stars. Loved it so far, amazing game, although I'm not convinced it's better than Galaxy 1. Some things are, some things aren't IMO.

Level wise I thought Bowser's galaxy generator was great. I loved how you had to use most of the power-ups to get through it and there was a bit of everything in it. Level design wise it suffers from the same problem a lot of the Galaxy 2 levels do, a relatively cobbled together series of planets, linked together without any real thought, but I suppose that might be nitpicking.

Boss wise, zzzzzzzzz - Doing the exact same thing for the third time? A little bit of variety and 'epic-ness' would have been nice. The bit at the very end was piss easy, and fairly pointless. Reminded me of Starfox Assault actually.

Ending was pretty good, though not quite as epic as Galaxy 1.

World S is pretty cool, I've not uncovered the very last world (star 121 I assume) but it's pretty good. Bit simple I suppose but oh well. The one with the spinny platforms was obviously inspired by Sunshine's retro levels, but I found it boring. In Sunshine you had variety and lots of challenges to get to the other side, this was a giant step backwards and far too simple/dull. The boss gauntlet galaxy was a nice touch though. I think they could have made World S more 'star world' from SMW, design wise but that's a small point.

Looking forward to this green star malarky that will come afterwards...

I forgot to add how disappointing the opening was in Galaxy 2. Galaxy 1's presentation with the cutscenes had much more impact, IMO.

Edited by LostOverThere

I finally did it! Took me about 100 tries to get the last one.

Where do you see how many times you've died during the game? The message on the message board just said total play time (which was about 29 hours).

I forgot to add how disappointing the opening was in Galaxy 2. Galaxy 1's presentation with the cutscenes had much more impact, IMO.

:shakehead Mario storyline is best left in the gutter where it belongs. Sorry, but no one who is down to Earth is playing this game for the storyline (because Mario storyline's are historically garbage). So if there's less cutscenes and dialogue, good.

I finally did it! Took me about 100 tries to get the last one.

Where do you see how many times you've died during the game? The message on the message board just said total play time (which was about 29 hours).

On the screen once you've selected your game file, it says it along the bar in the top right hand corner.

Oh, thanks.

So, 441 times. That's not bad considering how many times I died on the last stage.

Mario storyline is best left in the gutter where it belongs. Sorry, but no one who is down to Earth is playing this game for the storyline (because Mario storyline's are historically garbage). So if there's less cutscenes and dialogue, good.

Oh, I absolutely agree. Although I think the "little story" was better applied to SMG1's opening.

From what I remember, SMG1's opening was shorter than the sequel. I personally prefer the "Bam! Bowser's got Peach! Bam! You're in the Galaxy!" cutscene intro more than the wandering-around, chatting to Luma's opening of Galaxy 2.

Edited by LostOverThere

The opening in Galaxy was brilliant, I have to agree that Galaxy 2 wasn't as epic as far as that was conerned.

But man, the music was even better, this has to be the best song in nintendo history: