NEurope
Retro_Link

Super Mario Galaxy 2

I'm up to 48 stars now, and in World 4. The game has actually been easier thus far than I expected, after talks of its hardcore difficulty. I've found every Comet Medal of every galaxy I've entered until now, they weren't hard to find or get at all. I've also completed most galaxies on my way (well, not with the Crown symbol, but got all the available stars at the moment) and in many of them I even picked up a hidden star before the 1st main star. They are a bit easy to find, or maybe they're just intuitive.

The Prankster Comets started appearing now and I've done a few speedruns and daredevil runs.

I really prefer the map system in this game, it's so much better than the Observatory. I only dislike that we return to Mario Spaceship everytime we collect a star. It would be great to always be in the map grid and only go to the spaceship when we choose to.

The variety is great, it feels like an oldschool Mario game and the ideas are endless. And Yoshi controls perfectly for the first time in 3D, I wasn't fan of Sunshine at all.

SMG2 is the best 3D Mario ever.

I thought the final Bowser level in Galaxy 1 was a little boring

I love that level, so full of imagination.

The final ever star in the game was incredibly tricky at first, until I worked out a methodology, then I did it in one go lol

You talking about Star number...

242? That level is a bit of a nightmare. The worst section has to be the part where the flip panels are, the disappearing floors, enemies shooting falimng coconuts and the enemies that make electric rings.

After having my Wii die on me after buying this on release day, I've finally been able to sit down and play this again, thanks to getting a sexy Black Wii (but damn those things attract finger prints and dust so much).

So, have gotten 27 stars and I'm up to World 3. Have gotten all of the stars I can get on each of the galaxies up to this point and I'll continue to do that until I get to the final encounter. Not hitting that part until I have as many stars as possible.

Must say, so satisfying freezing over the water in Cosmic Cove Galaxy. Really nicely done that bit. And is it just me or did anyone else get a weird Goonies vibe from the music in that level? I swear I've heard something similar to the music in that galaxy in the Goonies movie.

I don't get why people are knocking the music!?!? I think the music is far superior - the likes of Sky Station and Fluffy Bluff are epic orchestrated scores and I was thoroughly surprised by the Puzzleplank Galaxy theme.

Maybe it's because you don't spend as long in each galaxy so the music has less time to grow on you and become memorable.

Defeated Bowser on Sunday, and collected my 120th Star last night. A truly great gaming experience. Here are some thoughts that came to mind while playing :-

• Worlds 1 - 4 were filled with fantastic Galaxies. They were all full of character, looked superb and the level design was faultless. Would happily play all these levels over and over again.

• Worlds 5 + 6's Galaxies were a mixture in my opinion though as there were some really poor one's to be found (Fleet Galaxy, Slimy Spring and Battle Belt)and others which were good but short-lived (Shiverburn, Boo Moon, Slipsand and Flash Back).

• All the Boss Battles were great, but I was a bit disappointed with the finale against Bowser as it wasn't as epic as the one in the first Galaxy game, and I was also hoping for some kind of New Super Mario Bros twist at the end.

• Favourite Boss Battle was World 3's Mega Hammer. Firing those Bullet Bill's at Bowser Jr in that machine while on Yoshi's Back brought back some memories of Yoshi's Safari :grin:

• Music was brilliant. Galaxy 1 has the best original tunes while Galaxy 2 has the best retro remixes

• Cheated? Well, I had to use Google once, to find the Hidden Star on Honeybloom Galaxy :indeed: but I never used the Cosmic Spirit and found the difficult level to be fair. Some of the bosses' did take more than one attempt, as did quite a few of the tricky Comet Challenges.

• Retro Galaxies - Loved playing on Throwback Galaxy, but I was surpsied to see Stone Cyclone and Boss Blitz make an apperance. Shame they didn't include another Mario 64 and a Sunshine Galaxy instead of those ones.

• Green Star Challenge - Collected a handful, but I think I'll give it a rest for now, and try to finish it off towards the end of Summer, when I feel like a Galaxy 2 replay. I'm guessing you unlock a new Galaxy in World S when you collect them all, as there's an odd number of Galaxies for World S on the the Star Chart.

and I was thoroughly surprised by the Puzzleplank Galaxy theme.

Yeah, it sounds irish or something. That music for some reason makes me think of lumberjacks!

I'm loving this so far. So these green stars? Does that mean there are 120 "power stars" and 120 green stars? Or just one green star for each galaxy?

I'm loving this so far. So these green stars? Does that mean there are 120 "power stars" and 120 green stars? Or just one green star for each galaxy?

One for every power star. :D

Ahh that's cool then, effectively doubles the game...kinda . Every time I get a star I feel bad I'm 1/120th nearer to finishing the game ):

Without giving away spoilers, is the ending/extra stars any good? Ie. satisfying?

Not bad.

Still needs less Bowser Jnr, more Koopa kids.

I entered World 6 earlier, but still haven't played any of its galaxies. The game just gets more and more amazing, just like the 1st one. It just never ceases to amaze, the amount of creativity is off the scale!

I dunno, I must have a soft spot for Desert Mario levels cause they're always amongst my favourite levels. From Shifting Sand Land in SM64 to Dusty Dune Galaxy in SMG1 and now Slipsand Galaxy in SMG2, all those are some of the best Mario levels ever, in my opinion.

Also, I loved Bowser's Gravity Gauntlet (end of World 4) because it was basically an old school Bowser level, in the spirit of the old X-4 worlds in the original SMB, except with a gravity twist. The only thing missing was the old school x-4 Bowser castle theme.

I FINALLY GOT THE FINAL STAR!!!

IMG_0378.jpg

Its took me two days of on and off playing to get this one star but its finally mine.

Those who wanted a challenge certainly got it with this last level as its hands down the hardest thing I have ever had to do in a Mario game. When I got to the final section my hands were sweating and my heart was racing but I managed to keep my cool and do it. Shame it took me like 50 odd lives to do but the feeling of finishing it was worth it.

*goes back to playing Monster Hunter 3*

Wow!

I'm on 112 stars. :grin:

I'm so impressed with myself. :heh:

I didn't think I'd get this far. I've got further in this than in Super Mario Galaxy now. :)

Good day for Coolness Bears.

*doesn't normally complete games*

Fucking hell the Stone Cyclone Galaxy and some others took the piss:

Getting the five silver stars. I tried going through it "normally", slowing things down then moving along. But it didn't seem to work that well, so I got the first two stars, ran back to the first one and jump across to get the Comet Coin.

Plus the Luigi purple coins on the Mario Squared Galaxy, I first got them all, thinking the star would appear at the other side for collection, but appeared at the beginning. So had to do it all over again. Gutted.

I think I'm doing quite well =D

I'm 88 stars in and haven't found this the least bit difficult yet. Sure, some levels required a few attempts and some of comets are tricky, but they aren't really difficult? But nevertheless, I like the game. I am a bit confused about the green stars you talk about but that must be something you get after completing the game. I am at the beginning of World 6 and have got every star up till then bar two - one hidden and one comet which both haven't appeared on my map yet.

I like the map as well and like ... I also find it tedious that I go to Spaceship Mario after each star, but I can live with that.

Well done HoT! :D and also a well done to those persevering with the game, keep going! it really is worth at least collecting the first 120 stars, such a rewarding game to play. :)

I'm hopefulyl gonna have another green star session in a little bit and I can't wait.

After having my Wii die on me after buying this on release day, I've finally been able to sit down and play this again, thanks to getting a sexy Black Wii (but damn those things attract finger prints and dust so much).

So, have gotten 27 stars and I'm up to World 3. Have gotten all of the stars I can get on each of the galaxies up to this point and I'll continue to do that until I get to the final encounter. Not hitting that part until I have as many stars as possible.

Must say, so satisfying freezing over the water in Cosmic Cove Galaxy. Really nicely done that bit. And is it just me or did anyone else get a weird Goonies vibe from the music in that level? I swear I've heard something similar to the music in that galaxy in the Goonies movie.

That's the exact feeling I got! It reminds me so much of the Goonies! And I think that it's set in caves only adds to that feeling.

Fucking hell the Stone Cyclone Galaxy and some others took the piss:

Getting the five silver stars. I tried going through it "normally", slowing things down then moving along. But it didn't seem to work that well, so I got the first two stars, ran back to the first one and jump across to get the Comet Coin.

Plus the Luigi purple coins on the Mario Squared Galaxy, I first got them all, thinking the star would appear at the other side for collection, but appeared at the beginning. So had to do it all over again. Gutted.

I think I'm doing quite well =D

I'm stuck with the green star on that level. Whoever designed that course needs to die a slow and painful death >_>

Need a bit of help with a hidden star:

How do you get the hidden star in Upside Dizzy galaxy? I assume you need to enter the warp pipe on the ceiling but I can't figure out how to get to it.

Need a bit of help with a hidden star:

How do you get the hidden star in Upside Dizzy galaxy? I assume you need to enter the warp pipe on the ceiling but I can't figure out how to get to it.

Walk onto the moving platform on the right from the bottom(so you are upside down). When the platforms are next to each other just walk left onto the top of the left platform.

Walk onto the moving platform on the right from the bottom(so you are upside down). When the platforms are next to each other just walk left onto the top of the left platform.

Gah! So simple! Thanks.

No flagpost on The Perfect Run... That's nuts. I will worship anyone who did it.

No flagpost on The Perfect Run... That's nuts. I will worship anyone who did it.

KNEEL BEFORE H-o-T!! :D

Here's some tips for the ultimate Mario level.

The 1st and 2nd sections shouldn't cause you any problems so I will miss them out.

The 3rd section with the clouds what you want to do is grab the extra life at the start if you need it. Just float up using the first cloud and the jump to the left, you will see it. Now the aim of this section is to finish with at least 2 clouds left, its not that hard, just time your jump into the warp star at the end.

The 4th section is what caused me the most trouble. I found that using the long jump was the best way to do this section because once you pass one of the laser mines and do a long jump it instantly stops firing. Get past the 1st and 2nd ones using timing and long jumps and then use long jumps and your remaining clouds to make it to the warp star. If you have 3 clouds left even better as you can afford a few cock ups.

The 5th section was a bit tricky but thanks to youtube and gamefaqs I found a cheap way to beat it. Jump over the first laser as normal and then stop at the end block. If you scan to the left you can actually grab a hold of the blue star without having to jump over the remaining lasers.

Once you have grabbed it shake your wiimote so you drop and then grab it again and let go so Mario slingshots above the star. Doing this you can now grab stars in the distance and bypass all of the sections obstacles. Just keep grabbing the stars, slighshotting and then grabbing another star. :D

The final section can be a headache, its not that difficulty but I tended to rack under the pressure. Just run past the first 2 koopas and jump into the star. Kill the next one and then wait. You need not bother with the koopa on the right just jump and long jump to the one in the middle, kill him and then jump left. Wait for the right moment for the spinning platforms then jump on one and then again long jump to the next koopa and kill him. Stun the next koopa with any star bits you have and try take care of him when hes close to you and on the left. That way the boomarangs shouldnt get you and the koopa on the right should miss aswell.

When taking care of the boomarang bros as soon as you make it to their platform just quickly duck. The boomarangs will fly right over your head. Just keep ducked the whole time while slowy walking and spinning and you can beat them without a sweat, its just getting to them thats the hard part.

Hope this helps. Sorry for any spelling mistakes or if I wasn't clear, just typing this while its halftime during the England game.