NEurope
Retro_Link

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Hmm. Why was I under the impression that

a remake of Bob-Omb Battlefield from SM64 was in the game? I knew Whoomp's Fortress was but I'm sure I also read somewhere that B-O B was in it too - heck, there is even a reference to it in the game (the pink Bob-Omb talkes about it once you get it on your spaceship).

But aside from that I only need two more stars to get 120. The Stone Cyclone Level was tough! Or well... the hard part was to get the Comet Medal and get back to the platforms. It took me a lot of tries to complete the level because once I had missed a silver star and then had to go back. And then when I am almost back to the goal, I was squished by a corner of the hollow thing!

Edited by MindFreak

I concur MindFreak, I've been waiting for it to appear and [i believe] I've unlocked all the galaxies.

Who at Nintendo thought that putting the Spring Mario suit in this again was a good idea? Words cannot describe how utterly frustrating and annoying a powerup it is. And the first level you get it on, Chompworks Galaxy star 2, was ridiculous because the suit doesn't work properly. I managed to beat it but by christ, everytime I pressed and held A when Mario was planted so I could coil up for a bounce it would not work.

Anyway, 67 stars and only just got to World 5. Only need to get the prankster comets for about 3 worlds spread out over Worlds 3 and 4 and I'll have completed all worlds up to World 5 already. Not going to hit the last encounter until I can't possibly get any more stars.

Currently on 207 stars after powering through the Green ones after 120 star completion.

They can be an extreme pain in the ass to reach!

I should be able to fully complete the game tomorrow, hopefully!

120 stars get. Just beated Bowser again. It's a boring final boss, I must say.

who thinks that Rosalina sounds incredibly horny at the end there? Her "oh" and "yes"...

Secret Star. Honeybloom Galaxy. Give us a hint please, I can see it and I know I'm missing something. Don't tell me how to do it straight away, just give us a push in the right direction.

Think you have to go straight up at some point with the bee suit then left.

Secret Star. Honeybloom Galaxy. Give us a hint please, I can see it and I know I'm missing something. Don't tell me how to do it straight away, just give us a push in the right direction.

That the one where the star is sitting under a tree and if you take the normal route through the level, you see it sitting in the background? If so, you reach it near the start of the level (before you even get the bee suit). You'll need to swing on one of the vines to get some height and then jump off into a wall jump.

im 56 stars in and not rushing it, only playing a few stars a day and messing about

what a fantastic game, i dont think anything can possibly beat this for goty now

I don't get why people are knocking the music!?!? I think the music is far superior - the likes of Sky Station and Fluffy Bluff are epic orchestrated scores and I was thoroughly surprised by the Puzzleplank Galaxy theme.

the music is ace, but i wish there were more remixes of gusty garden and good egg? the sky garden track s fantastic but i wish it had the gusty garden bit in it like in the trailers,

The fluffy buff music is amazing :)

i really hope we get the club nintendo galxy 2 cd's

Edited by yesteryeargames
Automerged Doublepost

That the one where the star is sitting under a tree and if you take the normal route through the level, you see it sitting in the background? If so, you reach it near the start of the level (before you even get the bee suit). You'll need to swing on one of the vines to get some height and then jump off into a wall jump.

Dude! Not the whole breakdown!

Thanks anyway though :(

Why did people say clockwork ruins was hard/annoying earlier? :)

Also I've got 118 stars now. ^____^ two to go, sort of.

You know Rosalina help thing, my nephew was playing it earlier and he got 2 stars through that if I get the last 2 to make 120 does that mean I can move on?

Clockwork Ruins is one of the greatest galaxies in the game (I haven't seen them all yet, I'm up to World 6). The amount of awesomeness in it is off the scale. And so is Melty Monster. So many great, great levels in this game. Before it came out it was impossible to imagine how SMG1's galaxies could be bettered in imagination and design. Leave it to Nintendo to pull it off and then some.

You know Rosalina help thing, my nephew was playing it earlier and he got 2 stars through that if I get the last 2 to make 120 does that mean I can move on?

If I remember rightly, when you do that you get a bronze star which doesn't properly contribute to your total, so for full beatdown, you need to get it gold style.

Fantastic game! (apart from spring mario, so fucking annoying!)

I'm on 129 stars now! :)

Still working my way through this slowly, got about 30 stars.

Some of them seem underwhelmingly easy, like the one where you have to freeze the water and wall jump the waterfall. I completed it in about 2 minutes, went straight from A to B with zero challenge and zero effort. I'm also finding that lots of levels can be cut short if you do backflip jumps or the long jump and skip out the intended method. It's just a little bit too easy so far, obviously built for "new" players. So I'm glad to hear the challenges step up towards the end of the game.

And I'm still missing having a proper hub world full of little secrets.

Despite those niggles I am loving it, it's just so damn colourful and polished, with so many genius moments, it would be hard not to enjoy it.

Edited by Shorty

I'm also finding that lots of levels can be cut short if you do backflip jumps or the long jump and skip out the intended method.

But that's classic Mario. All Mario games can be cut short by skipping the intended method.

After spending a full TWO hours being stuck on the last level for the 242nd star, I finally managed it!

(After managing to hold onto 2 clouds for the hammer/boomerang bros part)

100% completion! :laughing:

After spending a full TWO hours being stuck on the last level for the 242nd star, I finally managed it!

(After managing to hold onto 2 clouds for the hammer/boomerang bros part)

100% completion! :laughing:

I ended up using 40 lives on it until I managed to get my strategy sorted.

Whilst I find this game utterly amazing, I get the impression from World 5 they they got a bit lazy when making these galaxies. Decent fun but a bit short of inspiration really. Every single galaxy in the first game was polished to perfection and it felt like a small little world, some of the ones in world 5 look like they just threw a few planets together without giving level design much thought.

Can anyone else do the purple coins on that beach level?

My god, it's killing me softly

Can anyone else do the purple coins on that beach level?

My god, it's killing me softly

Are you referring to the one where you have Yoshi and must dash-pepper over the water (sorry if you're not there yet...I can't remember any other beach ones).

I wasn't too excited about this game, but I pre-ordered it anyway and received it last Thursday. Well, it honestly is that good that I've been too busy playing it to post about it! With a lot of Wii games I've played recently (Little King's Story, A Boy & His Blob), I've started off loving them, but ended up disliking and not finishing them. But no, I've now got well over 120 Stars and I can say this game is excellent.

Yoshi controls just like in Super Mario World, absolutely seamless. I knew exactly what he could do just from playing the SNES game. The new power-ups are also fantastic, especially Drill Mario. For the first few worlds, it just felt like they were trying to make the levels and power-ups as mich fun as possible. Overall I'd say they tweaked Mario Galaxy and improved upon it. I found this game less frustrating and was particularly pleased at the general lack of untimed purple coin challenges. In the original Galaxy, you could spend hours on a level and fail at the last minute. Immensely frustrating!

On a slight negative note, I agree with Ronnie that some of the later levels are less imaginative. I could have done without Flash Black Galaxy, and would have loved more giant slides like Tree Trunk. More levels to make you go "whee!", basically. Also, I personally dislike the way neither Galaxy game is 100% complete after 120 Stars. I get an immense satisfaction from having obtained 120 Shine Sprites in Mario Sunshine, and so it slightly irritates me that I've only got 120+ in Galaxy 1 and 2. The post-120 Stars content is better than the original Galaxy, but it still doesn't seem worth the programmers' time when they could have just made 120 perfect Stars instead.

Overall, I'd rate them:

1. Mario Sunshine

2. Mario Galaxy 2

3. Mario Galaxy

4. Mario 64

I'm very fond of Sunshine! :)

(I figured this was the best place to put this)

Now that I have a Wii (again), I have just gotten started on Mario Galaxy (yes, the first one). It's simply immense and a lot of fun. I've been craving an amazing 3D platformer for a while now, and you probably can't get much better than this (well...I'm not sure if it can compete with Banjo-Kazooie just yet, but that is quite an old game so I can already say that this is the best platformer in two generations' time).

Nah world 5 is rubbish. The last level was the icing on the cake. Pretty poor imo. The first couple from world 6 looked good though.

I'm also not sold on the 'more galaxies, but with less stars each' concept of this game. The great thing about the original as I mentioned above, was that each galaxy was very creative and felt really polished, you got to know it quite well. This game seems to have gone for quantity, and you manage to breeze through them without really giving them much though. Add to that the fact that some of the later galaxies really are very uninspiring and lazy, and I'm not quite sure they got the mix right personally, but hey ho, still loving it.

Even the 'worst' galaxies are better than some of the 'better' levels featured in other platformers though so it's hardly the end of the world... or indeed galaxy. :heh:

Personally I think we're incredibly lucky to have not one but two incredible platform games of such high calibre on the same platform, usally it's an unordinarily long wait between Mario games so personally I think we should feel blessed in a way. :)

Edited by S.C.G