NEurope
Retro_Link

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Started my Green Star quest last night, alot easier than I thought it'd be. Except for one on the Rightside Down Galaxy :( There's only so many places it can be!

I'm also not sold on the 'more galaxies, but with less stars each' concept of this game. The great thing about the original as I mentioned above, was that each galaxy was very creative and felt really polished, you got to know it quite well. This game seems to have gone for quantity, and you manage to breeze through them without really giving them much though. Add to that the fact that some of the later galaxies really are very uninspiring and lazy, and I'm not quite sure they got the mix right personally, but hey ho, still loving it.

Another thing is that, people criticised Sunshine for not having enough "zones" and having too many Shines in each. Well, with the Green Stars, they do pretty much the same thing in Galaxy 2 (except with far more zones, obviously).

It's a fantastic game though, had my heart beating like crazy. The Bowser boss fights are genius, the Bowser Jr fights great and I personally felt the World One boss was the most difficult in the entire game! [spoiler=]Apart from the fire version.

Galaxy 1 and 2 are just leagues ahead of anything else on the Wii. On the other hand, I feel the next Mario game (on the Wii 2 or whatever) could quite easily be better with more slides and "glides".

I've heard a lot about these 'green stars' but for those who haven't gotten that far could I ask people continue to use spoiler tags when discussing them? Cheers all.

I finished getting my last remaining stars and am now on the Green Star hunt.

Is it better than the first? Well... I don't know. The first was such a breathe of fresh air, this could never have the same impact. But yet it is the most consistently brilliant game since the first and never feels like it's copying anything.

Does it feel like just more levels... sort of yes. But it does so by making it feel like I never finished the first game. It feels like the 242 stars in that were the first half of the game and this is the second.

It's not recaptured the magic because it didn't have too - the magic never went anywhere.

just 'completed' it! Brilliant!

And...

By the way, could anyone help me out on a certain level...

I ended up using 40 lives on it until I managed to get my strategy sorted.

Yeah, I also ended up using around 40 lives, mainly getting stuck on the 4th & 6th stages. The ONE time I managed to keep clouds with me for the 6th stage and then I completed it. lol.

Well, just beat Bowser for the last time. I'm on around 108 stars now, just got the final few to do. Completed every single world as I went through :) Looking forward to getting the last 12, and then finding out what comes next!

Been playing this game like crazy, trying to complete it before I certain Dragon and a Quest for the ninth time comes onto my laps.

So far I am still in world 4, but have like 54 stars, this game is truly brilliant, it's like...

SMG= Mario Bros

SMG2= Mario Bros 3

Just so much pure greatness is coming out of this, koizumi is now up there as one of the best game creators : peace:

I need some assistance, second green star on the Bee thingy galaxy, that galaxy seems determined to piss me off.

Apart from that, the green stars are relatively easy, following two ideals:

The triple jump, which you probably never really used during the game.

A suicide mission, having you jump into what would normally be certain death unless you spin at the right moment.

Or a combination of the two.

I'm currently on 50 stars on the first Galaxy. The level progression (i.e. when you unlock new galaxies) is brilliant, and I've loved every galaxy so far. Drip Drop Galaxy is simply stunning. And to think I essentially have 190 stars left, plus a further 242 as Luigi.

Got 114 stars now. Bowser was easy, although I had a little trouble getting the comet medal on that last Bowser level because of the moving platform and Yoshi's flutter jump not doing what I wanted.

Question though: Anyone else had issues with the controls? I've had instances where I'll have circled around to get an item or a coin and then pressed the analogue stick to move in a direction only for Mario to continue to circle the same spot over and over, even if the analogue stick isn't being moved. Similarly, being able to jump in the right direction seems to be a bit of an issue as well. Was on Stone Cyclone Galaxy and the first button you can hit to slow time I was trying to long jump over to it. Was aiming in the right direction, pull off the long jump only for Mario to miss the platform by quite a bit even though I was aiming in the right direction. Anyone else had similar issues?

I mean, the controls work well but they have a bad side to them that does make getting some of the levels done more difficult than they should do. And I've completed all previous 3d Mario games fully and never had issues with the controls, and my Wii-mote and Nunchuk are brand new and work fine elsewhere, so it must be the game.

I'm currently on 50 stars on the first Galaxy. The level progression (i.e. when you unlock new galaxies) is brilliant, and I've loved every galaxy so far. Drip Drop Galaxy is simply stunning. And to think I essentially have 190 stars left, plus a further 242 as Luigi.

Just because everyone wants to know... I can't be bothered to do it all again as Luigi any time soon.

Was on Stone Cyclone Galaxy and the first button you can hit to slow time I was trying to long jump over to it. Was aiming in the right direction, pull off the long jump only for Mario to miss the platform by quite a bit even though I was aiming in the right direction. Anyone else had similar issues?

On that particular level, yes, I had those problems too. It seems that the roundness of the level is causing some troubles here, I would assume. Other than that I haven't experienced (or tried for that matter) what you also describe.

I had problems with a green star on stone cyclone galaxy, was a pain in the arse.

Just because everyone wants to know... I can't be bothered to do it all again as Luigi any time soon.

Wait... when you get 242 you then have to play through them all again as Luigi? but... that seems a little pointless being that you can choose to play as him anyway even before that.

In the first Galaxy there was a point to it because you could only play as Mario until you beat the game, but this time around I just don't see the point.

Yeah, I wasn't saying to anyone 'don't do it' just that if after you get all 242 stars it then 'makes' you get them all again as Luigi in the same way as the first then I personally can't see the point being as you can opt to play as either character after a certain point.

But yeah I can see the logic in the fact that you can get all the stars as Mario and then you have the 'option' to get them all again as Luigi just for your own amusement and to see how much easier/harder it might be.

Wait... when you get 242 you then have to play through them all again as Luigi? but... that seems a little pointless being that you can choose to play as him anyway even before that.

I was just assuming that Galaxy 2 was set up in the same way as the first (except the Observatory Ship Thing is now a menu).

I was just assuming that Galaxy 2 was set up in the same way as the first (except the Observatory Ship Thing is now a menu).

Ah... well it is 'essentially' the same but just imagine having the same amount of stars to do again except they are hidden/difficult to reach within the galaxies.

You'll see what I mean when you get to that point but believe me it's worth it. :)

I need some assistance, second green star on the Bee thingy galaxy, that galaxy seems determined to piss me off.

[spoiler=]Don't launch yourself from the 2nd swing (you'll go too far and slide down the vine). Instead, take off from the post above it.

As for the post-120 Stars content, I've got 200+ and am enjoying it a lot.

I'm playing them as Luigi, because so many of them are about triple jumps and wall jumps, it seems to make sense to use him. Also, it's fun to get an ordinary Star as him and let his ghost show you a secret.

Love this game...but hate Fluzzard!!

Grrr, after the flawless controls in this game, this is so unresponsive and pointless. It feels like I'm eating the greatest piece of cake in the world, but getting kicked squarely in the bollocks at the same time while I'm on these levels

Nintendo can give out as many instructional DVD's as they want, no way are those that need to watch it going to get every star in this game.

(Well, I'd be bloody surprised if someone that's new to gaming could manage it, put it that way.)

Some of them completely take the piss! :D

I just did the...

...purple coin challenge on the 8-bit Mario stage, where the Cosmic Clones are about too...

...Absolutely fantastic! Almost too much fun. :hehe:

Grrr, after the flawless controls in this game, this is so unresponsive and pointless. It feels like I'm eating the greatest piece of cake in the world, but getting kicked squarely in the bollocks at the same time while I'm on these levels

I loved Fluzzard! Did you have trouble with the manta ray in the original Galaxy? It controlled as well as that to me.

Grrr, after the flawless controls in this game, this is so unresponsive and pointless.

Hmm, Fluzzard is very responsive.

But I hate him anyway.

Just hit the 200 star mark - really enjoying the green stars!