NEurope
Retro_Link

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Finished the game with 120 stars a few hours ago. Loving the game/it's perfect/what they said etc. Now on to the post game stuff.

Ronnie: Only done two stars but that seems about right.

I'm up to world 4 now, with 40 stars.

A lot of the time I find myself simply wondering around for ages, just taking in the sights and sounds. :love: There's such an incredible amount of fine detail present in the visuals and audio, that you can't help but be sucked in.

It's something that happens with most games, but the feeling of immersion is completely through the roof in SMG2!

I'd love to see what I look like while playing this. :laughing:

Congrats to those that have already collected 120 stars, :bowdown: remember to keep rocking the spoiler tags.

I still haven't got a Scooby as to what's gonna go down after the main game, really looking forward to finding out though. :hehe:

Is there a hidden star on every level? So far I've only found 2.

Only 22 stars in total and just opened up world 3. While fully enjoying it, trying no to motor through it too quickly.... plus I still keep finding myself drawn to Monster Hunter 3, haha

I am gonna rape through this when I finish my exams, can't wait!

Anybody watch the dvd that came with it?? I've ignored it as i just want to play the game & don't want to see any spoilers. I'll probably watch it when i complete the game.

I really wouldn't watch it - it's just this woman telling you how to play the game in the most condescending of tones - the first 2 minutes are of her telling you how to connect the Nunchuk to the Wiimote...there's some interesting "challenge ideas" in the later part of the DVD but they're best left til you've done most or all of the game.

I almost wish each galaxy had a 3rd regular star, some are over way too quick, but I suppose there's probably more galaxies in total or something.

I bought this on friday and just collected the 1st star (and 1st comet medal as well) just to wet my beak a bit.

I'm currently going through Assassin's Creed 2 on the 360 (and loving it too) and I'm gonna wrap that up before diving into SMG2. :)

I'd like to say I'm powering through this, got up world 4/5 [i've forgot] and have around 55 stars. I like to get both stars per Galaxy before moving on.

The "job" mission on Boulder Bowl Galaxy is taking the piss.

The "job" mission on Boulder Bowl Galaxy is taking the piss.

If you mean the one where you have to 'round up' a Goomba then just make sure to destroy the rolling rock first - not the chomp though obv - and then get a Goomba by smashing one of the tall jagged rocks, get it to follow you and then wait until just as the chomp rolls past to get over to the cog dude, that's how I did it anyway but yeah it does take the piss a bit.

If you mean the one where you have to 'round up' a Goomba then just make sure to destroy the rolling rock first - not the chomp though obv - and then get a Goomba by smashing one of the tall jagged rocks, get it to follow you and then wait until just as the chomp rolls past to get over to the cog dude, that's how I did it anyway but yeah it does take the piss a bit.

Yeah that one, I try to destroy everything, but no matter where I try dragging it along to, the Chomp comes along and flattens it :(

Yeah that one, I try to destroy everything, but no matter where I try dragging it along to, the Chomp comes along and flattens it
:(

I managed it first time - although I can see where the trouble lies.

Just finished the game and agreed with HoT - the bonus world is magnificant!

Music was epic although I think a couple of the castles earlier on the game were more epic and perhaps even more deserving of being final castle - the comet speed-run for Galaxy Generator was infuriatingly difficult - many "F*** you!'s" were directed at the screen. Was so rewarding when I finally managed it though!

I don't mean to sound like an ass but I really never had trouble with this game at all, but while I'm awful at fps games, I tend to be good at old-school platforming.

but

I hated the clockwork ruins galaxy so much

but

I hated the clockwork ruins galaxy so much

You are not alone my friend. That galaxy was an absolute c***. I think my earlier post wasn't clear, I haven't actually got all 120 stars yet, actually on 118 and the second to last prankster comet is really fucking me off. It's not hard but the time is extremely tight, causing you to panic and usually fuck it up as a result.

Still, it's nice to have a challenge. It's ridiculous to think that I'm only almost halfway through the game in terms of star count...

What seems to be your boggle Pooki?

I've managed to fulfill that challenge mentioned earlier, now on around 85ish stars.

I'm amazed there are 240 stars. I'm sure the latter 120 aren't brand new galaxies or anything as big as that, but from the sounds of things, there'll be a fair bit to do afterwards, that isn't just "do the same thing again with Luigi" like in Galaxy 1.

Only on star 20 at the moment, not too bad considering i'm taking my time as such. Don't want to rush such a game which i waited ages for.

I got about 13 or 14 stars, not really sure, I'm up to World 2 now, just did 2 stars and the Comet Medal on the first World 2 galaxy (Puzzle Plank, is it?).

The game is simply fantastic, it improves on the original in every possible way, including the retro World Map (I thought the Observatory was very lacklustre). So far, it seems to me like there are a lot more small planet based galaxies and that's also a plus for me.

Some galaxies have strange music, though... not sure it's better than SMG in the music department. Will have a better opinion on this as I progress further.

But there is no doubt in my mind that SMG2 is better than SMG and, fuck me, that's a feat!

I found a easy way to get 99 1-ups in a about 60 seconds or less. Found it by chance when I was doing one of the 121-240 stars.

Go the Supermassive Galaxy and then to the wheel with the three koopas. Jump on the back of a koopa and stay there untill you have 99 lives. Mario will jump automatically.

Edited by Tales

Whilst this game is amazing and probably surpasses the original, I find that some of the galaxies are very barren, with hardly anything to do in them. Short and sweet they may be but a couple of huge land galaxies would be nice.

Also the soundtrack has far few memorable tracks IMO

a couple of huge land galaxies would be nice.

People need to appreciate why Galaxy is able to pull off what it does visually.

Small environments, not much for the processor to focus on at any one time, not maxing the RAM out either.

The engine exists to accomodate that.

Massive land environments that look just as good within Galaxy's style probably aren't possible on the Wii.

People need to appreciate why Galaxy is able to pull off what it does visually.

Small environments, not much for the processor to focus on at any one time, not maxing the RAM out either.

The engine exists to accomodate that.

Massive land environments that look just as good within Galaxy's style probably aren't possible on the Wii.

Honey hive, gold leaf and snow cap galaxies? All big levels based on one main landmass.

All the talk of E3 has made me forget all about this, until now. I forgot we had a gem already.

I had been working on completing each Galaxy (all stars, Comet Medals etc) before moving on to the next.

The final ever star in the game was incredibly tricky at first, until I worked out a methodology, then I did it in one go lol

Without giving away spoilers, is the ending/extra stars any good? Ie. satisfying?

I thought the final Bowser level in Galaxy 1 was a little boring and the 'do everything again with Luigi' a little bit lame. Even the Grand Finale galaxy wasn't particularly impressive. IMO obv.

Without giving away spoilers, is the ending/extra stars any good? Ie. satisfying?

I thought the final Bowser level in Galaxy 1 was a little boring and the 'do everything again with Luigi' a little bit lame. Even the Grand Finale galaxy wasn't particularly impressive. IMO obv.

I think so