N-Europe

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing

Ashley

Wait.....

Why the hate? TBF I havn't seen the trailer, but the screens and logo and idea sound bad ass to me. I like Kart games, and I like Sonic as a character.

Should be better than the Sonic games from.....well....since Sonic. ;)

I agree.. I don't understand this. For new sonic games you people are like "oh my god" this looks class from a trailer.. and the game always turns out to be shite..

But when a game comes with sonic in it that ACTUALLY has potential you shit on it.. oh well.. :D

too early to tell anything.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ What makes this Sonic game suddenly any different from the trend?

You just said yourself all sonic games look good from the trailers and then ultimately turn out shite!

Sega Superstars Tennis had potential to be a great tennis game, like Mario Tennis, but it wasn't... therefore...

^ What makes this Sonic game suddenly any different from the trend?

You just said yourself all sonic games look good from the trailers and then ultimately turn out shite!

Sega Superstars Tennis had potential to be a great tennis game, like Mario Tennis, but it wasn't... therefore...

ya that's true.. this isn't a sonic game though and it;s not made by sonic team(i think) so ultimately has potential. :)

and seag tennis wasnt bad.. far better than mario tennis on the wii... i thought anyway

I think maybe MCJ means "proper" Sonic games (ie platformers)...maybe?

yep :)

Huh? It was great. Better than the Mario Tennis games.

Hopefully this includes the standard GP features and also a mission mode similar to Superstars Tennis.

Huh? It was great. Better than the Mario Tennis games.

Hopefully this includes the standard GP features and also a mission mode similar to Superstars Tennis.

I have always been far from impressed when I have played Sega Superstars Tennis.. I found it very disappointing :hmm:

A Sonic racing game is something that I expected to happen at some stage but I can't see myself getting all that excited about it.. Mario Kart Wii still gets played in my house :heh:

sonic AND sega all-stars racing?

oh no.. now it's got sonic in the title... expectations just died

The developer in that interview even says something crap like 'we've done a great job of bringing together characters from all over the Sonic world'........... you mean Sega don't you, yeah you do!

The way the guy in that vid talks about powerups/boosts as if that's an original feature :indeed::laughing:

I'm looking forward to seeing wii footage of this. Tbh the over-bump-mapped plastic looking textures don't really suit this type of game. A cleaner Mario Kart-esque look could work for the wii version..

• 2 months later...

GamesCon Trailer.

"The controls were very easy to learn. On the PS3 version I played, R2 was for gas, L2 was for brake/drifting, L1 and R1 were for taunts (which is why you see so many video with Sonic jumping out of the car and doing poses other than his "I passed you/hit you poses) and X was to use items. Drifting couldn't be better. It takes a little skill to learn, but handles just like the tight turns in double dash. Once you handle the slide, you can boost out of a tight corner most of the time. (BTW, my favorite taunt pose is Sonic lying on the back bumper in his "Bored" pose from Sonic 2.)

It's not hard, but it wasn't a cakewalk either. Most A.I. opponents will attack you with mines and missiles and what not. Your main defense is a shield you can nab, or mines you can drop. Like you, they also can get the super power special at once per race. It's not necessarily for last place either. I got one when I was in third, and plowed through the competition as Super Sonic. Amigo's is funny as everyone dances in their cars and loses speed as you past them shaking your maracas and put on a light show.

The build I played was the same one from last month's E3. I played as Sonic twice and Amigo once. There is at least one short cut per level. I found one in the Billy Hatcher level. (He's all but a confirmed character BTW) The graphics are really well done and look much better than All-Stars Tennis, but just shy of Unleashed. One major negative, the framerate was really choppy. Going from 15 to 30 at times. They really need to work on that, but they still have a long way to go anyway.

Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing is shaping up to be the best Sonic racing game yet. But that's mainly due to stealing from a great source."

Edited by Dante

Guest Captain Falcon
Billy Hatcher level?!

Oh my, this is amazing news.

Now I'm just waiting for NiGHTS, if NiGHTS is in the game then my excitement levels will be through the roof.

SEGA don't have enough iconic characters of the cuddly variety for NiGHTS not to be in the game.

And it's good to hear that Billy Hatcher hasn't been forgotten about too.

Nice to hear that the online is extending to the Wii version this time. 8 players may not match Mario Kart but it should still provide a nice alternative as long as the overall online experience takes some cues from how Nintendo set up theirs.

I do have the feeling that this could perhaps turn out to be pretty average. I think anything with the Sonic name on it nowadays has that problem so perhaps they should call it simply 'Sega Allstar Racing'. Still, hopefully it won't be anywhere near as bad as the Sonic Drift games from the Game Gear/Master System days, although I'm expecting a few of those characters to pop up in here even though they've never made an appearance outside those games.

I think they should change the name to Sega All-stars racing, it just sounds weird else.

And it gives off the impression the other characters are just thrown in as an extra when actually it seems like they are putting a lot of effort into the other characters by giving them their own levels etc..

• 1 month later...