Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Carol Thatcher axed from bbc.

Portlett

The BBC confirmed tonight it had dropped Carol Thatcher as a presenter on The One Show after she referred to a professional tennis player as a "golliwog" in a private conversation.

Didn't see a post on this topic so was wondering what everyone thought on the topic and that of Carol Thatcher......I say blame the parents.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think Ross called anyone a racial slur.

The fact that this wasn't broadcasted and was a private conversation reveals the worrying nature of her opinion on racial matters.

The fact that the Ross and Brand incident was broadcasted reveals the worrying nature of how programmes are moderated by the BBC.

Seperate issues.

Her publicist claims that she said something along the lines of

"That tennis player blah blah blah looks like the golliwogs that they used to have on jam jar/marmalade labels."

rather than

"That tennis player is a golliwog."

Any better? I'm not sure. It's a sensitive name to be banding around in any case.

Goliwog? Holy shit!

hahahahaaha. How is that 'not racist'? That's like calling someone a Nigger and insisting it was all fun and games.

Good riddance.

That's what our royalty does.

"That tennis player blah blah blah looks like the golliwogs that they used to have on jam jar/marmalade labels."

rather than

Any better? I'm not sure. It's a sensitive name to be banding around in any case.

I've got one of those. He's got the most original name: Jam. My oldest cuddly toy. I shall be cremated with him.

rather than

Not sure if it's any better.

I mean, I've heard things along those lines in my life, as my family has strong ties to South Africa, and our "branch" over there, being rich and old-fashioned are pretty racist (but it seems "Ok" over there..), and my aunt has little souvenirs from there, like the Little Black Sambo dolls/books (they grew up there, so it's childhood stuff too), and I've heard the term Golliwog tossed around before, but only ever in the same context the publicist is claiming here.

I wouldn't use the term myself...but then I'm a different person.

I have a knitted Golliwog, no idea who knitted it!

Although this is worrying that she has these views and shouldn't have said these comments at all as it is evidentially racist, it was a private conversation and so should not have been sacked unless it was directly to the persons face or meant intentionally to offend which if

was used then it does not seem she meant to intentionally to offend but made a very serious fopar (not sure how you spell it) in comparing them to something which you are no longer allowed to say.

If she outright said it to offend then yeah sack her.

Also the issue of a private conversation. At school I've heard peoples conversations and people talking to me things can get a bit racist if they were overheard then they'd probably get in serious trouble... hmm... that goes against the point the I may or may not have just said.

Who? The what show?

In any case...who cares about what they say in their private lives? It's not like she went up to the tennis player and shouted "You're a fucking golliwog!"

That's not the point though. If she has said it (with intent) then she shouldn't be allowed to work on television, let alone get away with saying it in the first place.

rather than

If thats the case in my opinion it's not as bad.

I'll probably come under a lot of scrutiny for saying this but isn't a golly just a character from some childrens book? So saying someone looks like a cartoon/storybook character is bad only when the character is black?..

Say I said someone looks like the little boy out of winnie the pooh, is that racist?.. If I say somone looks like Mogali from the Jungle Book is that racist?..

To me it isn't racist to say someone looks like a character, maybe because the term she used then derived into a racial slur it makes the issue some what sensitive, but in my opinion a bit blown out of proportion.

Hell, who here hasn't said "EEVILMURRAY looks like Beaker"...sorry.

To me it isn't racist to say someone looks like a character[/color]

Apparently this is the guy she was talking about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo_Wilfried_Tsonga

Don't see how he looks the big-lipped black mistrel stereotype of the gollywog any more than any other person with dark skin. Find it rather difficult to not see it as a slur to be honest.

I don't really see how it's racist at all!

What else was she meant to say?...

Carol: "He looks like one of those knitted dolls with a black skin tone that were around 30 years ago!"

Person: "A Golliwog?"

Carol: "Hey, you said it not me!"

Golliwogs are something that were around, they were a product, and have just been taken completely out of context over the years.

Honestly I think it's extremely narrow minded on the part of the BBC.

Everyone should have moved past all this by now!

Apparently this is the guy she was talking about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo_Wilfried_Tsonga

Don't see how he looks the big-lipped black mistrel stereotype of the gollywog any more than any other person with dark skin. Find it rather difficult to not see it as a slur to be honest.

Point taken, the bloke looks nothing like one. I probably should have googled the bloke before my previous reply.

Hell, who here hasn't said "EEVILMURRAY looks like Beaker"...sorry.

I laughed at this. :)

Also, I feel bad, because I can't picture what a golliwog is. If someone used it in conversation, I don't think I'd know it was a racist term.

But, hmm, BBC is definitely finding itself in a lot of trouble these days.

*Ine enters, munching pizza*

"Jiiiim, what's a golliwog?"

"I don't know, Ine. I Just.Don't.Know.

Edit: After googling the term, I now feel enlightened. I've wondered for years what these were called.

I laughed at this. :)

Also, I feel bad, because I can't picture what a golliwog is. If someone used it in conversation, I don't think I'd know it was a racist term.

But, hmm, BBC is definitely finding itself in a lot of trouble these days.

*Ine enters, munching pizza*

"Jiiiim, what's a golliwog?"

"I don't know, Ine. I Just.Don't.Know.

Edit: After googling the term, I now feel enlightened. I've wondered for years what these were called.

holy hell you two are cute.

in other news; my nanna knitted me a golliwog when i was little. i still have it. his name is golly. he visited the grand canyon with me!!

waitasec! ....am i racist?? :wtf:

holy hell you two are cute.

in other news; my nanna knitted me a golliwog when i was little. i still have it. his name is golly. he visited the grand canyon with me!!

waitasec! ....am i racist?? :wtf:

I think we've got one floating about somewhere.

I dunno, the lady might have meant that his expression was the same as that of a golliwog. Just like I do something that has been dubbed "the muppet face." Does it instantly have to be about the colour?

When is it ok to compare a black person to someone else when it's based on looks? Is it ok to say that one man might look like David Beckham, but it's wrong to compare that guy to a black guy, because it might be seen as racist?

Ramar picked up the EEVIL Murray and Beaker connection, which you have to admit is pretty fucking astounding. It's ok EEVIL, bumlove later.

But, if EEVIL happened to be black, and Beaker happened to be black, would that be racism?

I don't care what she did or what she said, she's far too hot to not be on TV. HER SMILE HYPNOTISES ME! The amount of useless information about local bakers, light bulbs, old people and mustard I know thanks to the promise of her face... arg.

Day ruined. MInd you, there's always the new Carol Vorderman girl on countdown.

I think I'm turning into an old lech. Shit.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!