Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

N-Europe Summer Meetup, innit - Hyde Park, Saturday 18th July. No penguins allowed.

Rummy

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say draw up an itinery for each day - try and locate things in roughly the same area and do them at the same time - sure London's not huge but with all the meeting up along the way, etc, we'll be constantly slowed down/sidetracked throughout the day. I think it'd also be nice to consider things like dinner/lunch and arrange places to go, perhaps a little in advance. One night we could go to Chinatown for example! That way if people do split off during the day or get there later, then there's a nice big meal we can all attend :)

Ideas of what to do: there's an aquarium somewhere, could be good fun. I'm also up for Hyde Park like many of the others. I would say London Eye, mainly because it'd make an awesome forum photo, but from what I remember, it's rather pricey!

I would say London Eye, mainly because it'd make an awesome forum photo, but from what I remember, it's rather pricey!

It's also boring as fuck once you get passed the whole 'omg ferris wheen carriage you can fit a car in :o'

Itineraries usually won't be followed in situations like this. It seems too rigid having places to be and see.

It's also boring as fuck once you get passed the whole 'omg ferris wheen carriage you can fit a car in :o'

Itineraries usually won't be followed in situations like this. It seems too rigid having places to be and see.

Well you're right, we don't want sometihng rigid but I think having a good idea of what to do before we get there might be useful. Otherwise it's just gonna be a case of walking around for a couple of hours trying to decide what we're gonna do before we do it. I think it's only fair on the people who're spending a lot of money coming (such as Eenuh and Raining and all the northern lot) that we're somewhat organised and make the most of our time as a group.

If you make the journey with other people, it can be great fun :) I've done loads of 4 hour journeys, and yeah it's knackering but if you come down for a weekend then it won't be so bad; arrive friday to a pub, or chilling out in the hotel/hostel room. Saturday you'll be energised, and sunday you'll probably just sleep the whole journey home :)

Four hours on a train for a weekend is not fun, at all. By the time you get off, you just crave a shower. Not the end of the world, but not anyone's idea of fun.

You people are wimps. I mean honestly, God knows how you'd survive a long haul flight! I spent a total of 11 hours travelling from my flat in Mainz all the way to Cardiff University via various methods of transportation and on-foot travel just to see my girlfriend for a few days back in 2007 - you lot need to toughen up!

...Plus the last time I checked hostels/hotels usually came with showers.

Four hours on a train for a weekend is not fun, at all. By the time you get off, you just crave a shower. Not the end of the world, but not anyone's idea of fun.

I have, on numerous occassions, done London in a day. Bearing in mind thats somewhere between 6 and 7 hours on the train. HARDCORE!

Obviously this would be cool (and somewhat scary if Moogle's going ;)) but really... it's 6 months away, I don't know where I'll be or what I'll be doing. Put me down as a maybe daytripper, I would be up for general park fun times and then the pub perhaps.

Once more I'll draw attention to the distance for me...

85402852oc4.jpg

You people are wimps.

Too right! I went up to London and back in a day — an almost 12 hour round trip by coach¹ — just so that I could see my ex-girlfriend for an hour whilst she changed flights before heading to America.

Now let's all compare scars.

Anyway, I don't get the issue with spending a few hours in transit. Fair enough if you have to drive yourself, but if you're going by public transport then people on this forum should have even less of an issue than most: who here doesn't have a DS?

¹Not a great mode of transport, granted, but typically I couldn't get the train that day.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!