Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Ross and Brand suspended...

Molly

Wasn't there like only 2000 when the radio show was first broadcast. Seems like the media blowing it out of proportion has increased the amount of complaints ten fold. Its a shame everyone loves a good man hunt.

it was 2 complaints during the broadcast, according to bbc news.

an mp is calling for it to be disscussed in parlament. anything to distract us from the credit crunch eh?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I hate this country's media - stock markets are rallying, but no one cares. The US elections (and thus the fate of the world for the next 4 years) is in 5 days, but no one cares. A group famed for rape and murder is about to assault a major central African city, forcing the UN to actively attack them with gunships, but no one cares.

Good on Brand and Ross i say. They were having some fun and people over-reacted. It's stupid, because all they've done is given two great presenters more press that will only benefit them in the long run.

Yeah, no publicity is bad publicity.

I agree with Scuba in the hood. Its stupid that this is getting so much coverage. You'd think that there were more serious issues that needed addressing than this.

To be honest I think they perhaps did go too far, when we effectively pay their wages they can't be seen to be going things as offensive as this. The BBC is after all a public service.

However I think everything that has happened and the level of coverage it has gotten is way over the top. I've been in Paris this week and it made the news there! But thats they era we live in where celebrities only have to sneeze and it overtakes world issues. I think it is ridiculous that there only 2 quotes made at the time and now thousands have flocked in (bet a high percentage are Daily Mail readers) and made it far bigger an issue.

yeah it came into the media attertion after the daily mail said something about it on sunday.

Yeah, some time after the initial broadcast of the show. And on the broadcast day itself, only 2 complaints itself and then everyone complains after Ofcom and the Mail mention it.

I say it is a bit late to complain now. Shows over, a week or more ago.

The real joke is that he's still getting paid. He'll have even more time to count his money.

He's not getting paid, his wages are going to charity.

Anyway I've just registered my complaint with the BBC.

Dear BBC,

I would just like to complain about the appalling prank phone calls conducted by Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross. Naturally I didn't listen to this show, but still I will not be happy until these two hooligans are punished by being executed live of television by hanging.

Such is the typical reponse you've probably been having. I'd like to give a different response. Rather I'd like to beg the BBC to stop rolling over and constantly apologising to these people. Stop legitimising the opinions of rabid Daily Mail reading morons who never watch or listen to Russell Brand or Jonathan Ross. All it's going to do is encourage them to moan even more in the future until we're back in the pre-Sex Pistols era and can't even say fuck on telly. Instead maybe remember that there are quite a number of license fee payers under the age of 30 who actually quite like a bit of edgy humour. Grow a pair, you've dealt with it now draw a line under it and carry on with business.

Now for a delightfully sarcastic letter to get sent to the Daily Mail.

He's not getting paid, his wages are going to charity.

Anyway I've just registered my complaint with the BBC.

Now for a delightfully sarcastic letter to get sent to the Daily Mail.

You can guarantee they won't print it...I have sent numerous letters having a pop at the way they treat video games (my last was their mis quoting of the byron report) they instead choose to simply post the letters agreeing with them...

You can guarantee they won't print it...I have sent numerous letters having a pop at the way they treat video games (my last was their mis quoting of the byron report) they instead choose to simply post the letters agreeing with them...

Not surprising because daily mail surports nazism and fascism and backed Hitler Germany's invasion of the Sudetenland, and expressing the hope that 'Adolf the Great' would become a popular figure in Britain.

In 2001 at the 27th G8 Summit held in Genoa, Italy; 93 peaceful anti-globalisation protesters were brutally beaten by the Italian police, falsely imprisoned and made to chant fascist slogans. Posing as a British Embassy official, a woman from the Daily Mail took pictures of some of the prisoners including journalist Mark Covell. The next day the Daily Mail ran a front page story including an entirely false report describing Covell as having helped mastermind the riots. It took 4 years for the newspaper to apologise and pay Covell damages for invasion of privacy.

I hate the way Ross always seems to feel the need to try and act cool when he's around Brand, who'll actually be loving this shit, being the shock artist he is. Jonathan Ross should fucking know better, he seems to be an alright guy.

Dont remember what Jonathan Ross was like on They Think It's All Over?

Jonathan Ross other controversies:

David Cameron interview

In June 2006, when Conservative party leader David Cameron appeared on the show, Ross began a line of questioning relating to ex-Conservative Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, culminating in the question "Did you or did you not have a wank thinking of Margaret Thatcher?" Ross was defended by the BBC publicly but repeat showings of the interview have been banned.

Criticism of interviewing style

Ross's general interview style on the show has also been criticised; in June 2008, TV and radio presenter Gloria Hunniford accused him of talking "too much about sex". In an interview with The Daily Telegraph, Hunniford stated "I do get a bit annoyed with some of the new chat shows. Take Jonathan Ross. I like his show but he uses his guests as a tool for his own humour, whereas Parky would try to learn about them ... If you have a major Hollywood star as a guest, you want to hear about them rather than just talking about sex all the time."

Heather Mills comment

In 2006, Ross was criticised when he made a joke against Heather Mills, soon after she and Paul McCartney announced they were to divorce. He branded Mills, who is known for having only one leg, a "fucking liar" and that he "wouldn't be surprised if we found out she's actually got two legs".

"1,000 journalists" comment

On 5 December 2007, Ross joked at the British Comedy Awards that his salary meant that he was "worth 1,000 BBC journalists". His quip came shortly after the BBC had announced plans for more than 2,000 jobs cuts, and was condemned as "obscene" by the general secretary of the National Union of Journalists.

Not surprising because daily mail surports nazism and fascism and backed Hitler Germany's invasion of the Sudetenland, and expressing the hope that 'Adolf the Great' would become a popular figure in Britain.

In 2001 at the 27th G8 Summit held in Genoa, Italy; 93 peaceful anti-globalisation protesters were brutally beaten by the Italian police, falsely imprisoned and made to chant fascist slogans. Posing as a British Embassy official, a woman from the Daily Mail took pictures of some of the prisoners including journalist Mark Covell. The next day the Daily Mail ran a front page story including an entirely false report describing Covell as having helped mastermind the riots. It took 4 years for the newspaper to apologise and pay Covell damages for invasion of privacy.

Dont remember what Jonathan Ross was like on They Think It's All Over?

Jonathan Ross other controversies:

David Cameron interview

In June 2006, when Conservative party leader David Cameron appeared on the show, Ross began a line of questioning relating to ex-Conservative Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, culminating in the question "Did you or did you not have a wank thinking of Margaret Thatcher?" Ross was defended by the BBC publicly but repeat showings of the interview have been banned.

Criticism of interviewing style

Ross's general interview style on the show has also been criticised; in June 2008, TV and radio presenter Gloria Hunniford accused him of talking "too much about sex". In an interview with The Daily Telegraph, Hunniford stated "I do get a bit annoyed with some of the new chat shows. Take Jonathan Ross. I like his show but he uses his guests as a tool for his own humour, whereas Parky would try to learn about them ... If you have a major Hollywood star as a guest, you want to hear about them rather than just talking about sex all the time."

Heather Mills comment

In 2006, Ross was criticised when he made a joke against Heather Mills, soon after she and Paul McCartney announced they were to divorce. He branded Mills, who is known for having only one leg, a "fucking liar" and that he "wouldn't be surprised if we found out she's actually got two legs".

"1,000 journalists" comment

On 5 December 2007, Ross joked at the British Comedy Awards that his salary meant that he was "worth 1,000 BBC journalists". His quip came shortly after the BBC had announced plans for more than 2,000 jobs cuts, and was condemned as "obscene" by the general secretary of the National Union of Journalists.

direct pasting from wikipedia woo! seriously people can read for themselves!

aye i had to write an article on a current topic for my class today. since i didnt do this till last night the brand and ross thing was the most current thing i could think of.

lol

but yeh - if a similar practical joke had been played on someone their age (20's and 30's) it would have been more acceptable (still controversial like) but the fact it was a 78 year old grandfather was complelty foolish.. meh

i still dont want jonathon ross to be fired! i wanted to see david attenbrough on it tomorrow night :(

Sometimes I hate this country's media - stock markets are rallying, but no one cares. The US elections (and thus the fate of the world for the next 4 years) is in 5 days, but no one cares. A group famed for rape and murder is about to assault a major central African city, forcing the UN to actively attack them with gunships, but no one cares.

Just because they're not in the headlines doesn't mean the media is ignoring the issues. Almost every time in the past few days I have clicked on news sites, it has had the Woss/Brand story and then a story about how Obama is winning right next to it. But yeah the economy, not like every newspaper and piece of media has been reporting on that every day non stop for like the past 6 weeks or so. I see your point, but chill, nice to have a break in the news from the economy I think. In fact, maybe that's why they did it! To distract us from all the other terrible news going around! They had our interests at heart really.

Seriously though I think it was quite good of Brand to quit. Got out with some dignity in the end, I thought, and seemed sincere enough in his apology. I think Wossy's part in this was worse though, especially given his wages and I've listened to the call, Ross made far worse comments I thought. I think it's good that he got suspended, but that might be because I don't like him to begin with so I'm probably biased XD. Above all though, the person who decided to air it, seriously, wtf?

EDIT - weeyellowbloke, you legend XD

EDIT 2 - Just thought I'd put this in here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/10/30/do3003.xml

Normally hate that paper but I think some pretty good points are made there.

The fact of the matter is, in the words of Mr syme off jekyll

"Its turning into an american company, they love firing people" while brand and lesley douglas didn't get fired, they may as well have, they were forced to be fired, especially lesley, which tbh didn't actually have anything to do with it, hundreds of programs get checked, she can't check all of them, it's not her job.

I'm gonna throw in my thoughts, though it's basically been said anyway.

Firstly, the joke WAS funny, but I think it was harsh and went too far to be telling a man's answerphone about how you had sex with his granddaughter, even if it's just plainly saying you did such a thing, that's just harsh.

Secondly, it's been blown out by the media and tons of people have jumped on the bandwagon, it's amazing how many people I know are talking about this but don't actually know about it much, like haven't heard the show or anything(myself included, I only saw a transcript in The Mail, and people seem to be offering alternative transcripts too, I've not had time to actually lsiten to the show). I'd say at least 50% of complaints are just off of what people have heard in the media. The media hype has too, in turn, led to the consequences. It's ridiculous how it can snowball such stuff in a big circle!

Thirdly, the blame on Ross and Brand, whilst part rests with them, this is their style and bosses should have been aware. I'd say they clearly were as it wasn't a live broadcast, so whoever vetoed the show for the go ahead is far more responsible, because that's their fucking job. It's not Ross's or Brand's.

Fourthly, suspension, sackings, quittings, whatever, the two are too much in demand. I don't hate them, it doesn't make either of them any less entertaining in their other entertainments either, so I'm not fussed and would still watch JR on a friday night(which was a rare occurence anyway). I think he's pretty cool guy, eh rings grandfathers and doesn't afraid of media.

Fithly, I like making wordly numbered lists. Also, Brand clearly doesn't care and I love the fact he's just apologised and quit, cos he is sticking to something of his own there, I guess. There's an arrogance in it though, and he knows he doesn't need the BBC.

Sixthly, why the fuck is JRo being paid so much damn money by the BBC? Jesus, I'd rather that went on something else and ITV or someone picked him up. What a waste BBC, what a waste. Half of the BBC is shit imo anyway, and it's probs cos they're spending all their monies on people like him. Shit, if I was JRo I'd have quit too, ITV would take me(sure it'd be a hard bargain cos of this, and he's probs just waiting to be offered better by one of the competing channels anyway).

Seventhly, NUMBERED WORDS.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!