NEurope
Maverick

Sonic and the Black Knight

This thread has gone two ways so far:

1. Those slamming it (without seeing it)

2. Those taking the 'let's see' stance.

Well I'm placed in the second bracket. Sonic games may not have been the most impressive of late, but this could see Sonic recapturing his magic... this time wielding a sword (to some capacity). I firmly agree with ShadowV7

Heres the first details from GoNintendo. There are a bunch of screens over there aswell ( and IGN and Neogaf ) but im off to work now so havent the time to post them.

same dev team as Secret Rings

- “This time, a sorceress named Merlina summons Sonic to the mythical realm of King Arthur, but it seems the fabled monarch has somehow been corrupted and now rules the land as the tyranical Black Knight.â€

- storybook telling like Secret Rings

- “As Sonic runs along, a simple flick of the Wii remote will execute a basic slash, which is enough to dispatch most low-level grunts.â€

- thrust, parry, and buzz-saw-like moves for the sword

- “During our demo, we saw the hedgehog leap from a high precipice, then thrust the blade into a wall to slow his decent, sparks flying impressively as steel cut through brick.â€

- “Combat is integrated in such a way that most of the time you can slice through any who stand in your path without even slowing down.â€

- Control Sonic via joystick

- “Our hero begins his quest as a mere knave. Only by becoming a full-fledged knight will he have any hope of defeating King Arthur.â€

- “his sword, a talking blade named Calibur, serves as a mentor.â€

- “If you help civilian townfolk in need of assistance, you’ll earn points toward knighthood. If you smite one of those civilians, your reputation will take a hit.â€

- “At the end of each stage, the game tallies your good and not-so-good deeds and updates your rank accordingly.â€

- “Sonic can aquire everything from gauntlets to magical tomes to new swords, and when equipped, each article bestows him with a unique benefit.â€

- “On the audio side, veteran composer Jen Senoue is taking a smiliar approach, injecting familiar Sonic themes with a Celtic flavor.â€

- Magic used to give Sonic extra powers. It looks as if Choas float around Sonic when magic is used

- 200 items, some can be combined with others

- go online to trade items

- Rings no longer appear in computer monitors, but instead, sacks

- skill system from Secret Rings returns, but it will not interrupt the gameplay

- mission structure returns

- “Each stage has multiple branching paths and searching for townsfolk and treasure chests provides an element of exploration that recalls Sonic’s early Genesis days.â€

- “The camera will occasionally pan to a side-scrolling perspective for a quick dose of classic 2-D action.â€

- “And there will be no dinosaur eggs!â€

- â€When people see that Sonic is wielding a sword, they’ll probably have certain expectations of the multiplayer mode. And all I can say is that we’re thinking along those same lines.â€

- “Just as they subbed in for such characters as Ali Baba and Aladdin in Sonic and the Secret Rings, a number of familiar faces will assume Arthurian personas in SBK.â€

- “This time, however, some of Sonic’s friends will be playable. Each hero will boast unique abilities, and though the team isn’t ready to divulge the full cast just yet, we do know the identities of two playable comrades: Knuckles, who brandishes two swords at once, and Shadow.â€

- there will be other characters, but you don’t have to play as them if you don’t want

- “While the old gauges from Secret Rings are gone, a new special gauge will “bestow him with similarly impressive powers. The meter fills gradually whenever Sonic vanquishes an enemy or snags a purple elemental, and when it reaches a certain point you can unleash a powerful combination attack capable of tearing through multiple foes in quick succession. You simply press the B button to lock onto the nearest enemy, flick the remote to strike him down, then press B again to move onto the next unfortunate soul. If you chain together enough smitings before the gauge is depleted, Sonic will receive a speed burst at the end of the string.â€

- “the team behind Sonic and the Black Knight is keenly aware of the franchise’s past missteps, and their enthusiasm for doing right by the series is infections.â€

After my initial laughter and shaking of my head at sega i have now calmed down.

I will put myself in the 'wait and see' catagory. I think my initial laughter was just out of suprise. I was not a fan of the secret rings but i will prob give this a go when it comes out. I'm much much more excited with unleased though! :)

They don't want to give up on the sonic francise do they!

Sounds fucking amazing to be honest. In fact, they've changed the movement to analogue stick, kept the style (which was awesome) and from the sounds of it, twitching the wii mote is no longer jump...

....this sounds like it could be the best Sonic game! (PS I wasnt a massive massive fan of the originals, although S&K=amaz)

Sounds good so far. They are actually using some ideas that I was thinking about last night (slashing the sword while running).

Sounds good so far. They are actually using some ideas that I was thinking about last night (slashing the sword while running).

That was my first thought when I thought about the sword. Wonder what the graphics will be like, hopefully decent so Sonics model from Brawl will be in it. Think it looks pretty nice.

Sounds fairly good so far though, not as bad as I thought it would be. Just hope there's only a few other characters to play as like Tails, Knuckles and Shadow, but that should be it.

Hopefully if what they say about past experiences is true, it'll turn out well in the end. SEGA need to do quality games again.

- “On the audio side, veteran composer Jen Senoue is taking a smiliar approach, injecting familiar Sonic themes with a Celtic flavor.â€

As long as it's Crush 40, it's Limewire on day one.

As long as it's Crush 40, it's Limewire on day one.

Well he is Crush 40's guitarist.

I'm actually liking the sound of this, except controlling Sonic with the analog, I'd prefer if it was like SotR.

I'm actually shocked at the premise entirely... why do they keep giving characters weapons and magic when they blatanly don't need them?

But yeah whatever, if the game is good then screw the premise, Sega are a prime example of that.

I'm actually shocked at the premise entirely... why do they keep giving characters weapons and magic when they blatanly don't need them?

But yeah whatever, if the game is good then screw the premise, Sega are a prime example of that.

SHADOW%20THE%20HEDGEHOG.jpg

It's a big if :P

True... oh you had to go and post Shadow.... I'm all Sega ANGRY now! :P

"Sonic is controlled with the Control Stick. "

Thats better, it may actually be good...

Because swords and magic are so cool ... like guns. :blank:. And I bet the final boss will involve Sonic in a super armored form with a shining magic sword. I can also see a tiny dragon character among new ones.

Apart from that stuff, it seems fine for the moment. I'm not a big fan of the Sonic games but played and enjoyed SatSR. I find the idea of travelling through books quite interesting. Alice in Wonderland would be awesome if done well. But I think the next one will more likely be based on something like medieval japanese legends (with Sonic as a samurai and Shadow as a ninja). The werewolf in Unleashed could also easily have been part of the book concept.

Yeah there's bound to be a dragon boss in there at some point!

Sounds good, and from the screens it looks good too!

Some more new screens!

72891520080722_050007_0_big.jpg72891520080722_050007_6_big.jpg

72891520080722_050007_2_big.jpg72891520080722_050007_1_big.jpg72891520080722_050007_4_big.jpg

72891520080722_050007_3_big.jpg

72891520080722_050007_5_big.jpg

72891520080722_050007_7_big.jpg

As long as they don't go waggle crazy like they did in secret rings and just use it for sword control, this could be a decent game.

The fact that you don't have to slow down for combat reassures me a lot. Not sure if Sega can pull off the western RPG elements they seem to be describing (I certainly got a Fable/Oblivion vibe from: “If you help civilian townfolk in need of assistance, you’ll earn points toward knighthood. If you smite one of those civilians, your reputation will take a hit.â€), but if it delivers a fun, fast, arcadey experience that isn't ruined by cameras or controls, then it's instantly the best 3D Sonic game. But "ifs" are so easy to use, aren't they?

Well, it is nice to see a game based on ye ole English myth. Sadly, I'm still not holding my breath for anything amazing...Too many emotional scars to think otherwise.

As soon as it was obviously known to be 3D, any hopes were dashed. Sonic is great for his 2D games.

So, Billy Hatcher and the Giant Sword wouldn't have been good enough then?

So, Billy Hatcher and the Giant Sword wouldn't have been good enough then?

Ah, Billy Hatcher! I loved that game to bits and I would love a sequel to it.

Ah, Billy Hatcher! I loved that game to bits and I would love a sequel to it.

QFT! : peace: "la-la la-la la-la-la-la-la-la la-la la-la la" damn that theme is still ingrained in my mind. :heh: