N-Europe

A Thorn By Any Other Name...

Aimless

How do you feel about your name? Your real name, not your username — although there's scope for that if you insist. Have you ever changed your name, either officially or casually? Would you like to?

My first name is Sam, but I've never really liked it. As such I'm intending to have it legally swapped around with my middle name, Leigh¹. I can't really explain why, I just feel the latter suits me far better.

The only thing holding me back at the moment is the sheer hassle of it all. I'll need a new passport, driver's license, correct my bank details, and who knows how much trouble it will cause when it comes to applying to university. Still, I think the change could do me some good on a psychological level.

So, people of N-E, what is in a name? Yours, specifically.

¹Now that I think about it, it's funny that I have two rather androgynous names. Perhaps my parents didn't know what to expect.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not even going to bother listening why I dislike mine. For obvious reasons. For NINE obvious reasons.

I'd like to go back in time and slap my parents in the face for giving me this curse.:shakehead

Meh, everyone knows me as Jim anyway. I've been that way for a long time, and I find it weird when people refer to me by my real name. Jim - that's me. When I'm on placement, the other teachers call me Jamal, and the kids call me Mr. Babur, which is really nice. They're the only people I'll allow to call me that. But, normally, Jim is what I'd like to be called.

How do you feel about your name? Your real name, not your username — although there's scope for that if you insist. Have you ever changed your name, either officially or casually? Would you like to?

My first name is Sam, but I've never really liked it. As such I'm intending to have it legally swapped around with my middle name, Leigh¹. I can't really explain why, I just feel the latter suits me far better.

The only thing holding me back at the moment is the sheer hassle of it all. I'll need a new passport, driver's license, correct my bank details, and who knows how much trouble it will cause when it comes to applying to university. Still, I think the change could do me some good on a psychological level.

So, people of N-E, what is in a name? Yours, specifically.

¹Now that I think about it, it's funny that I have two rather androgynous names. Perhaps my parents didn't know what to expect.

i love the name leigh :)

well..

catherine margaret joanne lynn

catherine to epople i know

kate/katie to my dad n greg

caffeine to darksnowman

cathy/cath to people who dont want to be alive

n yes - i do rather like my name except i like kate/katie better.. but it feels weird when anyone else but my dad or greg calls me that

I'm not even going to bother listening why I dislike mine. For obvious reasons. For NINE obvious reasons.

It has to be said, I'd hate to be stuck behind you in the Post Office. "You've just got to fill in this form, love." "Noooooooooooo!"

Did you pick Jim or was it one of those naturally occurring names that no one really remembers the origins of?

I'm a Patrick.

And the only thing that I don't like about it is that everyone always, ALWAYS asks me if I'm Irish, which I'm not (cos now you're all wondering).

In England, it's a relatively uncommon name and I've never known anyone else that well with the same name. So to me my name means me. Which is great.

I'm a Patrick.

And the only thing that I don't like about it is that everyone always, ALWAYS asks me if I'm Irish, which I'm not (cos now you're all wondering).

In England, it's a relatively uncommon name and I've never known anyone else that well with the same name. So to me my name means me. Which is great.

paddy the irish man.. paddy the english man.. n paddy the chinese man...

lol..

*does anyone else get what im on about or is it just me?*

It has to be said, I'd hate to be stuck behind you in the Post Office.

Did you pick Jim or was it one of those naturally occurring names that no one really remembers the origins of?

I hate having to list it all, and it does cause me lots of embarrassment. LOTS. I shit you not. The one time, I was obtaining my National Insurance Number, and apparantly I didn't exist on the system, under any of my names. The poor computer must have got confused over it all.

My Mum has been calling me Jim since I was about 4...I think. I'm not sure why, I think it might have been "Jamal...JimJam...Jim." And then all my school friends knew me as that, and then everybody else. Its how I introduce myself.

Your name is nice, keep eeet. Sam. Always reminds me of Sam Wheat from Ghost.

i love the name leigh :)

So do I. Shame my parents put it in the wrong order.

My Mum has been calling me Jim since I was about 4...I think. I'm not sure why, I think it might have been "Jamal...JimJam...Jim." And then all my school friends knew me as that, and then everybody else. Its how I introduce myself.

Your name is nice, keep eeet. Sam. Always reminds me of Sam Wheat from Ghost.

I think you should change your name to Jimjam.

I don't have a problem with Sam as a name, I've just never felt comfortable with it. It doesn't feel like my name, even 22 years in.

João Tiago. Very generic. I'd like to have a more uncommon name.

It helps my mad ninja stealth skillzs, though. (I kid you not. I can sneak around without people realizing I was even there.)

I can sneak easily in places, even if I have to say my name out loud.

So...it's a Portuguese Ninja name. Not bad.

I don't have a problem with Sam as a name, I've just never felt comfortable with it. It doesn't feel like my name, even 22 years in.

the name leigh always reminds me of

sawmovie3_wideweb__470x299,0.jpg

(guy on the left - created and wrote most of the saw movies)

lol.. the names still cool tho

I quite like my name. It's definately a conversation starter to say the least. It never gets old when people I don't know feel the need to ask "is your name really Tyson?" Of course "dummm, you mean liek Mike Tyson harharlulz" definately does, and most introductions tend to regress into that either way. Either that or "you're frickin' massive".

My full name is Tyson Aaron Smith. And I do see the irony of my last name.

Guest Stefkov

My name...my middle name was going to be my first name, but my mum thought it'd be hard for Engrish people to say so they gave me the name I have now. Stupid decision, no-one can even spell it.

If I could, I'd change it to have my middle name as my first name as it should be then destroy the name I have now in a fire.

If you must know, Stefan Zorian Kowalyszyn.

Lewis Morgan Speller is a great name. I love it. The middle name is one I've only just come to love in the past few years, however, but I feel like it's a pretty special name.

As for me, all my close friends call me Speller, and I fucking love that.

I think you should change yours to Aimless, or Edge...it's what we all know you by anyway. It makes perfect sense.

If I could, I'd change it to have my middle name as my first name as it should be then destroy the name I have now in a fire.

You can, it's what Deed Polls are for. Well, you might have to write your first name on a piece of paper and burn that yourself, but they can deal with the rest.

I think you should change yours to Aimless, or Edge...it's what we all know you by anyway. It makes perfect sense.

I don't want to be Aimless for the rest of my life, Jimjam. I can't wander forever.

Guest Stefkov
You can, it's what Deed Polls are for. Well, you might have to write your first name on a piece of paper and burn that yourself, but they can deal with the rest.

I've thought of that idea and I might just do it in the future.

David Scott Iun Rohhann Robert Jastallis Teleka Hockley.

Iun's in the middle, and I never go by my first name. I think nicknames are helpful for identifying people, but if you are not careful, you can become a different person based on the name people call you.