NEurope
ReZourceman

"But yeah"

I was just talking to my friend on MSN and realised I had said "But yeah" three times in the space of one minute...and I realised that it actually doesnt mean anything.

Do you ever say "But yeah" or can you think of any other meaningless sentences?

Haha, I know what you mean.

In my house at Brighton, we all say "actually" quite a lot. More amusingly, my course friend actually (see) said the word "obviously" 27 times in the space of 5 minutes. Her mentor counted her.

She does say it alot, I can vouch for her.

But yeah, good find, dude. :)

It's not that meaningless. And I use the Portuguese equivalent when talking in real life, so I use it quite often, it seems.

Haha, I know what you mean.

In my house at Brighton, we all say "actually" quite a lot. More amusingly, my course friend actually (see) said the word "obviously" 27 times in the space of 5 minutes. Her mentor counted her.

She does say it alot, I can vouch for her.

But yeah, good find, dude. :)

Do I win?

Also: I suppose people say it to signify that they're moving on from what they were saying before.

Do I win?

Also: I suppose people say it to signify that they're moving on from what they were saying before.

You know, I didn't even know I did that then.

Haha, "you now," is another one!

I use it quite alot, I say things before i think them through and that is what comes out.

I use:

to be honest/to be fair

exactly

indeed

way too much in my posts and in person.

I say "I know, but, you know".

I'm not entirely sure what I mean when I say that. I'll need to say it again in a proper discussion, to properly figure out what I mean when I say it.

"You know" is one I say a lot as well.

We had a geography teach that always said "right" or "err" in between every other word. The register went like this:

Teacher: "Err John."

John: "miss"

Teacher: "Right. Err Sam."

Sam: "Right. Err [insert name here]"

Every single lesson. We once counted how many times she said right and err in a one hour lesson. She said "err" something between 150 and 200 and "right" over 300 times. She used the word "right" as a full stop.

I just swear a lot but just because I like swearing. Not because I'm angry or anything.

Actually, if I'm angry I tend to be quite calm. If I'm not swearing, then I'm angry.

If I'm angry with myself though (and generally am by myself) I end up stringing the word "f*ck", with all its variations, until my anger has dissipated. My record is round 20.

I love swearing.

We had a geography teach that always said "right" or "err" in between every other word. The register went like this:

Every single lesson. We once counted how many times she said right and err in a one hour lesson. She said "err" something between 150 and 200 and "right" over 300 times. She used the word "right" as a full stop.

I have a teacher who does the exact same thing. He uses both "right" and what is approximately the Danish equivalent of it: "ikke". "Right" is always dragged out ("riiight") and is said each time he has finished a sentence or a few related sentences and moves on to something else.

I say it all the time as well as all kinds of other fillers. "But yeah" basically means "I've made my point and you were right now lets get back on topic".

I say it all the time as well as all kinds of other fillers. "But yeah" basically means "I've made my point and you were right now lets get back on topic".

I always thought "But yeah" meant something like "But yeah". Cor, am I a dope.

I also like to keep up my Britishness by constantly saying words like "Bloody" and other amusing cursewords like "Pissflaps".

I always thought "But yeah" meant something like "But yeah". Cor, am I a dope.

I also like to keep up my Britishness by constantly saying words like "Bloody" and other amusing cursewords like "Pissflaps".

Pissflaps is typical British?

"Hey Winston, let's go beat those bloody german pissflaps."

Pissflaps is typical British?

"Hey Winston, let's go beat those bloody german pissflaps."

No way could a Yank have made it up. "Pissflaps" is a funny swearword, y'see.

Ooh, I think I say "Y'see" quite a lot too. :o

A quick search tells me that "Pissflaps" means 'vaginal lips or labia'. LOL!

No way could a Yank have made it up. "Pissflaps" is a funny swearword, y'see.

Ooh, I think I say "Y'see" quite a lot too. :o

LOL what else would it mean? :heh:

I have a weird habit of saying "lol" pronounced lawl, in real life. XD

Also I add like onto the end of most sentences, I think that's a ballymena thing!

The discovery of pissflaps to The Villan is like the discovery of fire to man.

LOL what else would it mean? :heh:

I never thought about what it meant, to be honest. It just sounded like a very funny curseword. :laughing:

The discovery of pissflaps to The Villan is like the discovery of fire to man.

Quiet, you. Mister "I have a girlfriend and I've bought her some kind of keyboard!"

You sicken me. ¬_¬

I had a teacher last term who used "mmkay" in the exact same way as the Mr Mackie from South Park.

"So what we're going to do today, mmkay, is go over xyz, mmkay, and then research abc, mmkay"

This. I don't see how "But yeah" is particularly incorrect compared to most other casual language.

When I'm at work, I find myself constantly saying 'Ken, lik!!' (you know, like) at the end of everything!!

My accent doesn't even come close to a Shetlander's!! Eeehhh..

T_T

Basically, when I'm at work I basically use the word basically in every sentence when trying to basically explain what I'm calling about. I try to cut down on it a stop myself but it always basically slips out. As far as I know though that is basically the only thing I catch myself saying a lot..........basically.

Watch a footballer being interviewed, especially Joe Cole or David Beckham and count the "you know"s. I once got 36 in one interview.