N-Europe

TV-series recommendations

Tales

Arrested Development is exceptional, but sadly cancelled. 30 Rock is the closest thing to it in the currect schedules and very good. The Office (US version) is probably my 3rd favourite sitcom currently.

Drama wise, Pushing Daisies is good and really nicely shot. House is very entertaining, if slightly repetitive and Chuck is very good fun.

Usual suspects such as lost, prison break etc.

Or, for some slightly less recent classics Frasier and Seinfeld never put a foot long (Untill after around season 7 in both shows)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As my mania for video games has faded, I'm starting to get very interested in TV-series on DVD. So, I want some recommendations. I very interested in a show that mixes drama and comedy.

I probably don't need to tell you my recommendation (everyone will know what I'll say). It has a great amount of character development in every episode, it's quite funny, good action and lots of likeable characters.

The TV show is £14.99 on Play and the movie is £4.99 (actually...they've very recently bumped it up to £13.99 and it's out of stock....or £9.99 with Doom. But you can get it for £5 or less at plenty of other places).

Original? The one I'm talking about was written by Stephen King as a short series. How can there be more than one version?

*Sigh*... the ignorance.

In 93/94, Lars Von Trier made a show called Riget, known internationally as "The Kingdom" wich monsieur King later copied and adapated into Kingdom Hospital, a poor remake of the masterfull original. But hey, don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself.

Just remember to check up on things before you talk about them like you know it all.

I probably don't need to tell you my recommendation (everyone will know what I'll say). It has a great amount of character development in every episode, it's quite funny, good action and lots of likeable characters.

The TV show is £14.99 on Play and the movie is £4.99 (actually...they've very recently bumped it up to £13.99 and it's out of stock....or £9.99 with Doom. But you can get it for £5 or less at plenty of other places).

Dammit, I wanted to get on here before you to suggest Firefly and Serenity Cube :( lol But yeah... Firefly is awesome, and Serenity is one of the best sci-fi films ever made *goes and watches it again*

Also, possibly not what you're into but I would strongly suggest looking into either Futurama, Family Guy or South Park series. All brilliant, although to be fair, all available through *cough* 'other sources'

Still, worth a look.

Firefly and Serenity are indeed awesome, I got them cheap from Amazon. The series and movie on Amazon are £13.98 and £3.97, respectively, and you can get super saver delivery with that. My advice? Definitely get them, whoever hasn't! Absolute bargain and great to watch.

Firefly and Serenity are indeed awesome, I got them cheap from Amazon. The series and movie on Amazon are £13.98 and £3.97, respectively, and you can get super saver delivery with that. My advice? Definitely get them, whoever hasn't! Absolute bargain and great to watch.

We agree on this one.

yeah i know i'm miles behind. none of my local rental stores do the wire though and each series is like 8 gigs to dl. no way i'm streaming it either it deserves the quality.

It does. Indeed.

No show has constantly amazed me week by week like Big Love. It is (currently standing) 24 hours of pure cinematic marvel. Every episode (particularly the second season) just amazed me non stop.

Other than that; Firefly, Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies, Robot Chicken (pure comedy but great all the same), Dirt (shallow pure entertainment), Veronica Mars, Dexter, Damages, Mad Men, Life, Gossip Girl, Friday Night Lights, Arrested Development, My So-Called Life.

'Monk' has a good mix of drama and comedy. Monk is a detictive who is afflicted by obsessive-compulsive disorder and multiple phobias, which provides the laughs, and the case's he takes on provide the drama, and there are many intresting twists to enjoy. Series' can be found very cheap on Amazon.

Boston Legal.

It's one of the most under-appreciated (or at least under-exposed) shows out there. As the synopsis says, it "walks the line between drama and comedy", so it fits with what you're looking for. I highly recommend it - it's the kinda show you can watch whatever mood you're in.