Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Universities and shizzle.

Twozzok

Thinking seriously now about chemistry, toxicology and pharmacology. Manchester seems a good choice for me, and was thinking also of Imperial, however I'm not doing Maths A-Level so it's futile appyling I suppose.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people here seem to be saying that just because they're really good at a subject means they should do that subject as a degree and the opportunities will be endless for them when they graduate.

I suppose for a lucky few that is what happens but NOT for everyone. I had the highest grade of my year for English, I really enjoyed it and thought that the world would be my oyster after graduating so I decided to do an MA in English. 4 years later I graduated with honours and could not find a job for the life of me because employers see a subject like English as a 'general degree' meaning technically speaking I'm not actually trained in anything.

After taking a year out I'm applying to go to Leeds Uni to do a Post Graduate MA in Social Research, a course that will teach me all the ins and outs of doing research for large corporations/companies and using it in careers such as market and commercial research - something that I've always wanted to do. Sure the fees are a bitch but at least after two years I'll have a better chance at getting a job within a sector I really want to work in - Research!

All I would say to people who are starting their studies this year is make sure you do have a think about what your degree will do for you after you graduate. It may seem like a long time into the future but it does creep up on you sooner than you think! Oh and for the love of God join some societies/clubs because it looks good on your CV and employers like to see that you have got involved with activities outside your studies.:smile:

qft! The only good thing about my college has been the extra skills they have given me so it looks good on my c.v.

Mhm yes I'm trying to CV boost a bit.

Technically I could put stuff like being a course rep and attending a course validation meeting but it seems a bit too...goody too shoes-ish. Plus I only went because my housemate made me...

Other than that I am going to volunteer at a local radio station come September, going to get myself qualify with British Sign Language Level 1 (granted more of a general skill than career one but could come in useful), done work experience and plan to carry on attending weddings as a photographer over the next year when possible, learn basic Mandarin and Japanese and do Journalism in China next summer.

But yeah, as Columnar said; start early! Wish I had.

Mhm yes I'm trying to CV boost a bit.

Technically I could put stuff like being a course rep and attending a course validation meeting but it seems a bit too...goody too shoes-ish. Plus I only went because my housemate made me...

Other than that I am going to volunteer at a local radio station come September, going to get myself qualify with British Sign Language Level 1 (granted more of a general skill than career one but could come in useful), done work experience and plan to carry on attending weddings as a photographer over the next year when possible, learn basic Mandarin and Japanese and do Journalism in China next summer.

But yeah, as Columnar said; start early! Wish I had.

I really wanna start learning some langauges too...during my GCSE's I wasn't bad at french so I might try and practice it more in the summer. Would be a good skill to have as well as good to put on my CV. Also learning Hindi wouldn't be too bad as I am Asian!

Watcha studying? You getting accomodation there or staying at home?

I only live in Mirfield, which is like next door, so I'm just gonna stay at home with my Dad and Bro.

Since I never finished off my A Levels (Ended up ignoring the second year and went off to do a Cisco course instead) I've got to do an extra year of foundation. I'll be doing a Foundation year first, then moving on to bsc computing or software development.

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure if anyone else has, but got my uni results today. A 2:1 ! So chuffed. :)

Was doing Cell Biology at the University of Manchester...feels so good to have my result now!

well done!

i achived a 2:2, which is fair considering i wasted most of my time.

little bit disserpointed, this year was when everything clicked, i liked my course more, got better grades (2:1 for this year) and worked harder.

still, i look at who i've become and it seems worth while.

i used to be dependant, shy, poor with girls, a huge worrier and a bit of a stick in the mud.

now im much more carefree, happier, more confident, better with women, i've realised most people like me and i'm stronger then i was, i dont take crap and stand up for my self.

boys and girls, if you can move away to uni do. it will possibly be one of the scariest, hardest things you do, but it'l be worth it. the first time you buy a weeks food, cook a propper meal or make a new friend, its all the better because you did it your self

• 3 weeks later...

Bumpage.

As I have my results, and I'd imagine most people will have by now, thought we could all share them.

Because my uni is backward we have grades but for my second year I got; 1 B+, 3 Bs, 1 B-, 2 C+s and 1 C. Judging by the uni thing I am on track for a 2:1 (3 best from 2nd year and six Bs and two Cs in 3rd year) and hopefully a 1st but im not sure because its just a vague '3 best second year results'. I'll see come September but im happy with those.

Plan to work my arse off next year and get a first hopefully.

That's what it is! The classification is what "level" your honours are at.

So, for example, I got a BSc with blah-blah class honours in mathematics and statistics. Ordinary degree = no honours and no classification of your honours because you have no honours. At Newcastle an ordinary degree equated to 300 credits over 3 years rather than 360, which basically meant failing 6 modules.

I know its just a funny way to phrase it.

Basically; "well you just wasted three years and thousands of pounds." Because lets face it, whats worse to an employeer; someone who didn't go to uni or someone who did and failed?

But you didn't fail you passed, barely. Besides if you did fail you just wouldn't put it on your C.V and make up something you did for the 3 years like teaching in a village in Africa for example.

N.B: Lying on a C.V is wrong and you should never do it :indeed:

Got a 2:1 for the first year, meaning I can change to linguistics. Yayness.

We get kicked out if we get ordinaries - mind you, they're pretty damn hard to get, especially in essay subjects. I think you'd have to vomit on the script and hand it back in or something.

I got a 2:1 for the first year like a few others here, but it made no difference as I'm changing courses, I only continued to make the most out of my first year and for personal satisfication (in a way).

Well on to being a first year again!!

Pendulum, Zane Lowe and Chappers and Dave on freshers week this year! Zane and Pendulum were great last time! Score!

Might pop along to see Zane and Pendulum. Chapper and Dave.. fuck right off!

Apparently, HUU were close to getting a Hacienda style night, but can't due to the immense amount of money it takes... gutted!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!