N-Europe

Scratchcard withdrawn because people are too thick to understand it

BlueStar

Christ on a cracker. I've highlighted my favourite bit in bold

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1022757_cool_cash_card_confusion

A LOTTERY scratchcard has been withdrawn from sale by Camelot - because players couldn't understand it.

The Cool Cash game - launched on Monday - was taken out of shops yesterday after some players failed to grasp whether or not they had won.

To qualify for a prize, users had to scratch away a window to reveal a temperature lower than the figure displayed on each card. As the game had a winter theme, the temperature was usually below freezing.

But the concept of comparing negative numbers proved too difficult for some Camelot received dozens of complaints on the first day from players who could not understand how, for example, -5 is higher than -6.

Tina Farrell, from Levenshulme, called Camelot after failing to win with several cards.

The 23-year-old, who said she had left school without a maths GCSE, said: "On one of my cards it said I had to find temperatures lower than -8. The numbers I uncovered were -6 and -7 so I thought I had won, and so did the woman in the shop. But when she scanned the card the machine said I hadn't.

"I phoned Camelot and they fobbed me off with some story that -6 is higher - not lower - than -8 but I'm not having it.

"I think Camelot are giving people the wrong impression - the card doesn't say to look for a colder or warmer temperature, it says to look for a higher or lower number. Six is a lower number than 8. Imagine how many people have been misled."

The world needs factory workers, I just wish they weren't so loud or permitted access to anything like telephones or the internet.

And it would have to be someone called Tina that they quoted. Other possibly names would likely be Traci, Chelsea, Chardonnay or Paris.

The world needs factory workers, I just wish they weren't so loud or permitted access to anything like telephones or the internet.

Factory workers, even if they aren't very academically knowledgeable , still need to have a decent level of intelligence in terms of logic, problem solving, the ability to learn etc. Someone with this kind of feeble grasp on logic shouldn't be allowed near heavy machinery! My great uncle left school at 14 to work in a steel works and he's more than capable of understanding that -5 is colder than -2

What a stupid woman. Jesus christ, I didn't think anyone was that thick, plus she insults other people saying how everyone else must have been "misled" by it.

What has this country come to, seriously?

I mean she still thinks she was robbed? Surely she should have thought after a few seconds "oh! oops!" and laughed it off or something?

She didn't say what grade she got for GCSE. She could have got a C or higher though. Problem with the education system in this country is that it doesn't actually reward you for understanding anything, just rote learning.

I bet she was well pleased. Since C is higher than A.

...Waitaminute.

Hehe, people can be silly. Incidentally, if you read the article correctly it says she doesn't have a maths GCSE, but she should still understand negative numbers.

On a similar vein, you'd be amazed how many people don't get the concept of zero, and think it must be either positive or negative.

Edit: Wow, look what the article itself does when talking about literacy:

More than 15m adults in Britain have poor numeracy - the equivalent of a G or below at GCSE maths

Almost three times as many UK adults (15.1m) have poor numeracy - the equivalent of a G or below at GCSE maths - than with poor literacy skills, according to the government's Skills for Life survey.

Blarg, that should have been proofread...

I bet she was well pleased. Since C is higher than A.

...Waitaminute.

Ha, nice.

Isn't there clear instructions on the back saying "Remember folks, higher the minus, lower the number".

To be honest anyone that thought this wasn't clear should get bitch slapped.