N-Europe

No More Heroes

Smiter

This game is coming along very nicely. I never got to try Killer7, still need to hunt that game down. Initially I thought it would a big shallow to just slice up your opponents, but it seems like it's got much more meat around it. He's hoping for a massive game. The graphical style has already got my attention. Im starting to notice Grasshopper and Suda51 more and more. Their games are always so different (Killer7, Contact). We should applaud that!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with what whoever said this looks like GTA. For me this is completely different from what we were seeing in the trailer. This looks very low poly and the textures look like a PS2 game (and not a good one at that). There also seems to be very little lighting going on at all as well so I can't really see much depth in the scenes.

This contrasts pretty harshly to the trailer (and yes I do know that that was FMV). In that there was a lovely black base to the colour palette like TRON almost and they showed great use of lighting there. Also it had abstract use of neon colours which was making me drool but now the game seems to be far more "realistic" than that which leaves me disappointed.

The graphical style has already got my attention. Im starting to notice Grasshopper and Suda51 more and more. Their games are always so different (Killer7, Contact). We should applaud that!

amen to that... it never ceases to amaze me how we now have huge amounts of graphics power (i include wii in that) and yet games manage to look LESS varied than they did in the 16bit days...

in fact since the death of the dreamcast it seems to have been a slippy slope.

This contrasts pretty harshly to the trailer (and yes I do know that that was FMV). In that there was a lovely black base to the colour palette like TRON almost and they showed great use of lighting there. Also it had abstract use of neon colours which was making me drool but now the game seems to be far more "realistic" than that which leaves me disappointed.

Yes, I thought the graphics in the trailer where quite cool (and much more like Killer7 than this is) and much more stylish. This looks like crap compared.

Somehow I'm glad it's not like killer7 but rather different. It helps maintain the feeling of killer7's uniqueness.

The graphics and controls make it extraordinary and I think neither Heroes nor killer7 would be so special if they looked and played almost the same.

During the weekend I played killer7 again and thought there should never be a sequel.

IGN Interview.

Whether you're a newcomer or an age-old fan of Nintendo, chances are you know Killer 7, Capcom's amazingly edgy action game that hit GameCube back in 2005. Bringing a style all its own, Killer 7 debuted (and remained to be) one of the most intriguing original designs to hit GCN, and instantly became a cult classic among Nintendo patrons worldwide. The game's designer and director Goichi Suda isn't finished yet, however, as the Wii is now being treated so a similarly styled and incredibly unique game known as No More Heroes.

Though very little is currently known about the game - with only snippets of info and a main teaser video thus far - IGN had a chance to sit down and chat with the series creator and pick his brain on the vision that is No More Heroes.

IGN: In the Heroes trailer, the hero (Travis Touchdown) and Helter Skeltor use a gun and sword. How does that control with the Wiimote in the game?

Suda: Actually Helter Skeltor is your enemy and only Travis Touchdown uses a sword to fight against enemies. He's a sword master, so you can defend yourself against enemies using it.

IGN: Will you be using other different kinds of swords, or just one?

Suda: You can use different kinds of swords. Miss Naomi is a professional weapons maker, and she can make various kinds of swords, so you can buy them from her but they're quite expensive.

IGN: Does the game have RPG elements? For example if I use one katana throughout the whole game, will my skills with that katana become better?

Suda: You can level up via experience points, but we haven't decided the specific details of how the system will work.

IGN: So the Wiimote controls the sword movement, does the nunchuck attachment control movement at all?

Suda: Yes, you can use the nunchuck to move the character and attack the enemy by pushing a button, or by swinging the sword. It's a very simple control scheme.

IGN: Does the game use a similar engine to Killer 7 or is it a completely new engine?

Suda: Yeah, it's totally different.

IGN: So why did you choose the same graphic style as Killer 7?

Suda: As you've seen in the trailer, the graphics are similar to Killer 7, but in the game the graphics will be a little different from the trailer. It'll be more illustration-based, with 3D maps. I think you'll be surprised when you see the game!

IGN: The hero of the game is Travis Touchdown, will you be able to use only Travis or other characters?

Suda: Yeah, Travis is the only hero in the game.

IGN: Will you have non-playable partners that will accompany you in the game?

Suda: You will have partners that will help you in the game, such as Naomi, but you'll have to fight your enemies by yourself, so there won't be any partners in the game as far as actual battling goes.

functions in Heroes? Has it been decided yet?

Suda: We may use Wi-Fi with the game, but we haven't decided on that just yet.

IGN: For Heroes, the trailer had a ranking from 11 until 1. How is the game being designed? Is it a mission-based game or a sandbox-style game?

Suda: The goal of the game is to defeat all ten hitmen, so there are ten boss battles in the game. But yes, it is mission-based.

IGN: So will it be 8 - 10 levels or something?

Suda: There will be a main map with ten stages to select from across it.

IGN: So how exactly are you going to find the bosses in the game? Will you have to fight through minions or will it just be the boss? Will it be GTA-Style?

Suda: First, Heroes is a free-roaming game, so you can move wherever you want freely. It's very different from Killer 7, which was very linear. The map represents the west coast of America, namely California, but it's set in a small town. You can ride in a car, or in a bike, or whatever, it's pretty free and open.

IGN: So, the Heroes trailer was uploaded a few months ago, but it was quickly brought down. What was the reason for that?

Suda: Actually we didn't expect the trailer to be uploaded so soon! That's why we took it down. The Tokyo Game Show was supposed to be the proper time to debut the title.

IGN: Will the game support widescreen/progressive scan mode?

Suda: Maybe!

IGN: When is the game expected for release?

Suda: Both in US and Europe you'll be playing Heroes before 2008, so sometime in 2007.

IGN: Why did you choose the Wii for Heroes?

Suda: People will probably buy the Wii and play family games like Wii Sports, so we decided to develop Heroes for the Wii because gamers might get tired of the family games eventually. Also, people who are going to buy the Wii are interested in trying something different, something that's an extraordinary action game.

IGN: Killer 7 was on the GC, and Heroes is on the Wii, is Suda51 a big fan of Nintendo and its mission statement to make games that are accessible to everyone?

Suda: In the development environment, the Wii is very easy to develop games for because Nintendo supports developers quite a lot. I'm happy to make games for Nintendo because I'm a big fan of the company.

IGN: Are you afraid that games are getting too expensive to develop?

Suda: Well, Grasshopper isn't a big company, we're really small, and to develop new games and projects, the Wii is the best platform for us right now. The budget for developing a Wii game very reasonable for developers who are doing new projects. On other platforms it can be very expensive to make games. If we made games for the PS3 or 360, it'd require a huge budget.

GamesRadar : No More Heroes - the SUDA 51 interview

Though you might have heard about it on the news - video game-hating lawyer Jack Thompson briefly cast his disturbed glare over it - there's very little chance you actually played underground hit Killer 7. Its murder-obsessed cults and split personalities make it one of the weirdest games on the PS2, and that's saying a lot. Forget about that, though: the game's creator, Goichi Suda - aka SUDA 51 - is back with something that looks, well, totally kick-ass. And this time it should be playable, too, thanks to the Wii.

The game stars Travis Touchdown, a down-and-out anime freak carving out his living in a crappy motel in Santa Destroy, part of the big ugly nowhere that swirls around Los Angeles. He gets bored, decides to order a beam katana from eBay - and suddenly he's sucked into a world of crazed assassins out for blood. Once he, y'know, kills the 11th best assassin in the world. We can't wait to see how that goes down. Now, it's Travis' turn to slay his way up the ranks.

We can't get enough of this story - it's refried, chewed-up and spat back in your face: Japan's take on America's take on Japan. Bad-ass Akira motorcycle? Check. Sexy female assassin? Double check. From the instantly-recognizable seedy Southern California sprawl to the toxically reformulated story, we absolutely cannot wait to find out if this one can possibly live up to our expectations. Unfortunately, we haven't had a chance to play, but we hope to get our hands on that beam katana really soon. Since we can't give you impression, how about the next best thing: an interview with SUDA 51 himself? Find out just what the man behind the mayhem has to say.

GamesRadar: So far the trailer for No More Heroes that's available, there isn't much tangible to it. A little explanation of what we can expect from the game would be great.

SUDA 51: I think that it's going to be similar to [my earlier game] Killer 7 in that there's going to be a really good story with great presentation and cinematics. I think it's something that's very natural. I think that it's going to fit well with players, that they're going to be able to jump right into this kind of gameplay that we're preparing.

Story-wise - and it kind of goes into the gameplay as well - there's going to be a ranking of killers. We talk about it in the trailer too, but there's a ranking. So basically the lead character has got 10 people to kill in order to get to the top, and so it's that kind of progression in the game, where it's about getting to the top of this ranking.

Story wise, it's going to all play into the violence. So it's not going to be all violence, violence, violence, but you expected that, I think...

GR: No More Heroes is coming to the Wii and we were wondering why you chose this platform? Nintendo has a kind of a juvenile image, but your game is very mature.

S5: I'm friends with Mr. Wada from [the publisher] Marvelous and we were talking about our next project, making a game for the Wii. And this whole idea is that in the past, Nintendo hardware has been - you know - there have been a lot of games for a younger audience. However, we feel that with Nintendo Wii, it's going to bring a lot of adults similar to the way the way [Nintendo has] in the handheld market as well. So we're kind of banking on this fact that it's kind of a universal hardware, where I think that Nintendo is going in a different direction, where a lot of adults will be playing too.

GR: Is the Wii's unique control also a factor in deciding on the platform, or was the decision made based on the audience?

S5: At first I didn't really know about the controller. But from the very beginning I had this idea of having sword based gameplay, so it actually fit perfectly with what Nintendo was doing with the controller. So there's also Mr. Sakurai from [our Japanese publisher] Spike - he likes these mature violent games as well, so it fit really well with the concept of No More Heroes.

GR: Even though your prior game, Killer 7, was not a heavily promoted game in the US, it briefly became notorious for its content. I'm curious to hear your reaction to the US response.

S5: For me, up until Killer 7, the only reactions I've been getting were from Japanese players because all of my titles have been released only in Japan. So, more so than worrying about the bad press, it all came down to the fact that I was just excited to be able to hear people talking about my game outside of Japan.

GR: It's not even a question for filmmakers; violence is an essential part of narrative. But in games, it's kind of a debate and I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

S5: Compared to comics or movies, games are special because they're interactive and you're actually experiencing these things. So when you're actually experiencing the violence, it kind of affects you in a different way, more so than with a movie or with a comic book. So maybe there will be more acceptance of it in the future, but for right now, it's an easy target because you do experience those emotions.

GR: Certainly with a game like this, we would expect that it's more like an indie film. Halo is a major Hollywood type production, but with this kind of game, it's hard to be successful and make a profit. Will you be able to cultivate an audience for an indie-type game?

S5: I want profit and I want respect. I want the indie respect and the profit of the mainstream. I'm aiming to make No More Heroes more marketable than before. I'm making this game, more so than before, a game that's going to sell units in America and Europe.

GR: Is that because of gameplay? Killer 7 had a very interesting story, but it also had kind of bizarre gameplay. People who liked the game mostly liked its atmosphere and story. Is that one of the elements that will bring No More Heroes more popularity?

S5: For Killer 7, my aim was to make something completely new in all different directions. So I think that maybe it was a new experience that wasn't familiar for American users when they first played Killer 7. So Killer 7 got all this different feedback. So it's actually a really good lesson for me in terms of what Americans and Europeans like in terms of gameplay.

[For No More Heroes] I'm going towards the American, more standard type of gameplay. I think it will fit well with what people appreciated from Killer 7: the presentation, the cinematics, the story. So I think it will be easier for people to pick up and play - more so than Killer 7 - because I've learned a lot from just listening to other people's feedback from the gameplay of Killer 7.

GR: Something we always like to ask Japanese game creators is "Have you played any western-devleoped games? If so, which do you like and what have you learned from them?"

S5: Actually last month he helped organize an event in Japan to help introduce the western games to Japanese fans. It's one of my big projects. It's my personal hobby in a way, to introduce western games to the Japanese.

GR: What games would be a good example of the ones you'd like to see, or your favorite games?

S5: The Warriors from Rockstar. I'm not really sure if that level of violence is okay for Japanese but, well, I still want them to play it. I think that kind of free sandbox style of GTA is [also] something I want more Japanese creators to get influenced by.

GR: Is it difficult to bring together play styles? Because Japanese games seem to be very tight and focused and western games are getting looser. How do you reconcile those two styles together when making a game?

S5: Dead Rising is a good example where games could be heading. It's a very tightly packed game - it's very Japanese in a way that, you know, they've figured out things to a tight degree, a very detailed degree. But it also allows a lot of freedom, too, so I think that's a really good example of where game development in Japan is heading.

GR: So obviously it's a balance, finding the kind of games that will appeal all over the world...

S5: I actually think that making a game that both westerners and Japanese will both love is almost impossible. There are some exceptions, of course. There are few people in Japan that can do it. And I think that [Metal Gear Solid creator] Mr. Kojima is one and [Resident Evil creator] Mr. Mikami from Capcom is another.

GR: You think it's because of the gameplay? Or is it because those creators use very Hollywood-style presentation and they also happen to use Caucasian main characters? What are the elements that make those games appeal globally?

S5: I think that you're right on that. I think that another thing they're doing right is that it's easy to get into the gameplay - that it's fun. They're also putting a lot of effort in promoting their game and making sure they sell well - they're putting their faces out there.

GR: Obviously, games like RE4 or MGS4 have astronomically huge budgets, and not every game has the luxury of having that much money. So what can you do when you're working on a tighter budget, to make a game that really stands out?

S5: With a small budget, it forces you to think of something very compact - something that's very tight. In reality, if I had a huge budget, it might be a big problem since I wouldn't know what to do. I'm so used to thinking effectively and efficiently about how to make a game that with a huge budget, I might just go crazy. There might be too much to do in a way. So one thing that you think about... it's not always about having a big budget, it's not always a blessing.

For example, Mikami-san - he worked on God Hand. That was one of his babies and it was a fun project for him. He wanted to do something fun, and the budget for God Hand is not anywhere near where Resident Evil 5 would be. But as far as personal enjoyment and creative freedom, you could argue that he had more fun, or it was more enjoyable to make God Hand than Resident Evil games. So it's not always about having a big budget.

Another interesting point is that if you have a huge budget, it means you have a lot of different investors, a lot of people who are weighing in on your game. They have millions of dollars invested. But if you have a smaller budget, it's your own money. It's your own independent project so you can do whatever you want. But the more money that comes in, the more responsibility that you have to use this studio, or that you have to use this kind of CG or something like that.

GR: At the Kutaragi keynote, one thing he talked about was bipolarization, which means that gamers are mostly just sticking to the games they know and everything else doesn't sell as well as the popular sequels. And he was sort of implying - kind of poorly - that there are some trends in the network content elements of the PS3 might change that. But the Wii seems more likely to reverse the trend. Do you think that there's more of an opening now for new things to come in - not just because of the new generation but because it's a new style? The challenge with No More Heroes is that this is an original story - an original game - coming out and obviously it doesn't have the name recognition, especially in the west or maybe even in Japan. How do you fight against that continuing trend of gamers sticking to what they know?

S5: That's why I choose Wii. More so than PS3, I feel that success is going to be on the Wii for my title. I can feel it in a way - in that it's not only that the price that's more competitive, or more attractive, than the PS3. But it's just this idea of playing freely. If you play freely in the game, maybe people can be more open to new ideas, not sequels, but original titles. So I can smell success for the game on Wii. And again, you can have a smaller budget with Wii games than PS3, like we talked about earlier.

GR: Also, we assume that the big problem is with PlayStation, with games like Final Fantasy in the wings, people are expecting blockbusters. Is it a different situation on the Wii? We mean: it's not just that the Wii offers a new kind of gameplay - is it just that it offers more of a level playing field almost?

S5: I think that I don't have any big enemies in the Wii market. Where as if there was a Final Fantasy XIII or those kinds of sequels... I also think that the Wii with a packed in game - at least with the Wii Sports - while it's fun to have people come and play for awhile, they're going to get tired of it pretty soon, so they're going to be looking for a new experience.

GR: Do it think it's possible that people will get tired of moving the controller around? For a long single player game, do you think it will become almost irritating after a while?

S5: To be completely honest, if you're doing this throughout the whole game you are going to get tired. So I'm thinking of the pacing... I want to keep in mind that people are going to be swinging in the action parts, but in other parts of the game where you're not going to be doing that, it will allow you to rest. That's how I'm approaching the game. I think that people are going to be basically playing with their hands on their thighs. But when there's a big action scene or something like that then they're going to get up and really start getting into it - then they'll go back to being more relaxed.

GR: The playing field - especially in America where 360 is more of a factor - is really crowded right now. I was wondering how you think the generation will work out? Are they all going to find their own niche and get to be successful? Or is there going to be one pulling away and winning?

S5: I think that only two are going to survive this round.

GR: And what two are they?

S5: There's no enemy for the Wii, so I think it's going to survive. So I think it's going to be a battle between the PS3 and 360, and there's going to be one winner and one loser. I think [Nintendo is] really smart because they're letting those two battle it out and they're doing their own thing where they're going to be successful and that's really intelligent of them.

GR: Well it's very interesting because even in America now, the DS is so popular - in Japan it's unreal, but in America it's starting to pull away from the PSP. Do you think that could exactly happen again with the main consoles?

S5: I don't know for sure, but the possibility of a huge success is very high because of the way that you control - it's a way that hasn't been done before. I think that they're using the same kind of logic with the Wii. If you think about it logically, it seems like Wii will be the next big thing, right?

GR

• 2 months later...

IGN Interview: Suda 51 on No More Heroes

The director of Killer 7 says he promises to make his new Wii title more violent than Manhunt 2.

by Matt Casamassina

You may not recognize the name Goichi Suda, but you probably know his handle: Suda 51. The moniker is a play on the Japanese words Goichi and Suda, which translate to the numbers 5 and 1 respectively. Suda is president of Grasshopper Manufacture, which has made such titles as Super Fire Pro Wrestling for Super NES, Contact for DS, and perhaps most memorable of all, Killer 7 for GameCube. The latter effort -- a gruesome, surreal adventure title -- received critical acclaim for its stylized visuals and engaging storyline. It remains one of the most violent projects available for any previous generation console. Now, Suda and his 40-plus-man team at Grasshopper are working on No More Heroes for Nintendo's new Wii system. The game is set to be every bit as original and brutal as its predecessor. We recently had the chance to chat with Suda about his game design philosophies and No More Heroes. Here's what he had to say:

IGN Wii: is it true that you worked as an undertaker before breaking into game development? What prompted you to try your hand at game design?

Suda: Yes, it is true. My former job was as an undertaker . I used to work in the flower shop, mostly preparing flowers for the funerals as well. When I worked as an undertaker, a game studio called Human, which produced "Fire Pro-Wrestling," the most popular pro wrestling game at that time, was recruiting staff members. I had a strong confidence due to my knowledge of professional wrestling and thought that I could probably create pro wrestling games. So, that's how I started my career as a game designer.

IGN Wii: What is your favorite videogame of all time and why? On the same note, what is your favorite movie of all time and why?

Suda: My favorite game is Out of this World. I was shocked and impressed by the game by Erick Chahi. My favorite movie is Paris, Texas. I was very moved by this movie, and that feeling still remains today.

IGN Wii: In your opinion, are developers telling good stories in videogames?

Suda: I think videogames telling "good" stories do exist. However, I feel that there are still few videogames that actually tell good stories in the game. Not to cause any misunderstandings, but what I would like to say is that it is probably because most of the time, not many publishers look for and request or expect developers to tell/focus on good stories in the game. Unlike the movies, I think people are not expecting to hear "good" stories when playing the game. So, there are only few opportunities for the developers to tell good stories in the game.

IGN Wii: Do you consider games an art form?

Suda: I assure you that videogames are an extension of an art form. In my opinion, the highest form of art is the existence of videogames.

IGN Wii: You have been a big Nintendo supporter -- first on GameCube and soon on Wii. Why have you decided to put your games on Nintendo platforms?

Suda: I find Nintendo's support to be very satisfying. Since GameCube was an ideal platform as a developer, I decided to develop a new game on Wii as well.

IGN Wii: We loved Killer 7. Would you ever consider doing a sequel?

Suda: I am happy to hear that you loved Killer 7. Thank you! I don't exactly know whether there will be a sequel, because the Killer 7 IP belongs to Capcom. I am not at all opposed to the idea of developing sequels to the game at all, but I always want to challenge and create games with new ideas if possible.

IGN Wii: Please explain the premise for No More Heroes.

Suda: The main character, Travis Touchdown, was born from my imagination -- an idea that Johnny Knoxville (an actor from Jackass) is a Japanese anime otaku (animation freak) and this led him to be interested in Japanese martial arts. Then, he finds himself talented in martial arts. Johnny is also a Star Wars freak, and happens to purchase a lightsaber on an Internet auction. After that, he starts to make his living as an assassin using this lightsaber. This is how Travis was born, and after that I started to work on planning No More Heroes.

The story begins when Travis is ranked at the eleventh place of the killer association by an unexpected coincidence. Travis is now a qualified assassin on this ranking list, and aims to become the ultimate, strongest assassins of all. It is sort of like a growing-up story of a young assassin/kid which progresses by defeating all other assassins from 10th to the 1st place. This ranking match with other assassins is the main part of the story.

IGN Wii: Killer 7 was an "on-rails"-style adventure game. How is No More Heroes different in terms of what you can do and where you can go??

Suda: No More Heroes is not an "on-rails"-style adventure game. It is a free running/roaming style action game. The title is set in a small fictional town called Santa Destroy, located on the US West Cost. Story missions (Killer ranking rounds) and submissions (money earnings) are scattered throughout the map. The game progresses after players choose missions. No More Heroes is a genuine action where players control main character, Travis, but it hardly uses the wireless remote controller, which is one of the characteristics of Wii. The basic tactic is to attack with A button. The finishing move/attack is made by using the motion of the Wii controller. It is totally a different type of game from Killer 7.

IGN Wii: Killer 7 was both profane and violent. How does No More Heroes compare?

Suda: No More Heroes is violent as well, but it is different from Killer 7. The game's style will be very standard. I'm not quite sure if this would be the kind that pushes the envelope, but Travis is very poor -- he lives in poverty. We prepared some missions besides the regular levels. For example, there are missions where players volunteer to pick up trash, a real boring part time job as a stamper, and an incomprehensible job like human bowling. ?

IGN Wii: Can Travis go anywhere in Santa Destroy?

Suda: Yes, Travis is able to roam freely on the full map.

IGN Wii: What vehicles can you drive?

Suda: Travis will be able to roam around on his favorite motorcycle, "Schpel Tiger." However, players will not be able to steal vehicles.

IGN Wii: Is the game running on the same engine as Killer 7?

Suda: No, it is completely new engine. We made the engine so that it would be compatible with the new free-running gameplay.

IGN Wii: In your opinion, is Travis Touchdown a likable hero?

Suda: I would be certainly be happy if people like Travis because yes I think he has an attractive personality.

IGN Wii: Are there any plans to support WiiConnect24 with downloadable content for No More Heroes??

?Suda: We are still deciding whether or not we will support that feature.

IGN Wii: Will the title run in progressive-scan and 16:9 modes?

Suda: Yes.

IGN Wii: What do you think of the Wii hardware so far?

Suda: I think that it is probably best to forget and abandon the existing game design know-how once you develop for Wii. I feel that Wii enables developers to create new types and styles of games. I'll do my best and create No More Heroes as a standard violence game.

IGN Wii: Wii is selling very well around the world. Did you expect that to happen?

Suda: Yes, ever since E3 of last year, I was expecting Wii to sell very well around the world.

IGN Wii: What do you think of PS3 and Xbox 360?

Suda: I am very interested in Xbox 360. I want to develop games for Xbox 360 as soon as possible. In fact, I am planning the next project for Xbox 360. As for PS3, I don't have enough materials/topics to comment on this because there is only a small chance for us to develop for the console at this point in time.

IGN Wii: Who is your favorite videogame designer?

Suda: Erick Chahi. I am also a fan of Kojima-san and Mikami-san, and at the same time I respect them very much.

IGN Wii: There is word that you're planning to work with Hideo Kojima on a game for Wii known only as 'Project S.' Is this true?

Suda: I am sorry, but I can't make any comments on this.

IGN Wii: Is Project S a sequel to the classic franchise Snatcher?

Suda: I am sorry, but I can't make any comments on this either.?

IGN Wii: Fair enough. Finally, why do you think fans should be excited for No More Heroes?

Suda: We are tuning up No More Heroes to be simple and comfortable, but exciting and refreshing as a game. The game has a unique sense of humor and I hope fans will be excited about and look forward to it. ?

I'll also try my best to make No More Heroes as violent, or even more violent than Manhunt 2!