NEurope
Smiter

No More Heroes

IGN just updated with new info on "Heroes", now known as "No More Heroes":

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/748/748014p1.html

US, November 29, 2006 - Say goodbye to Heroes and hello to No More Heroes. Only in a world where something named Wii is the hot toy for Christmas could that sentence actually make sense.

The mysterious game that has been known for most of this year as Heroes now has a new name. The latest issue of Famitsu reveals that the all original Wii adventure game is now known as No More Heroes.

Heroes or No More Heroes, this game has gotten much of its hype due to its development background. Although Spike is set to publish the game in Japan, the title is being developed by Grasshopper Manufacturer and directed by Goichi Suda. You may remember these names from Capcom's stylish Killer 7. Other talent includes Shigeto Koyama, of Eureka Seven and Top wo Nerae 2! fame, who's in charge of weapon and vehicle design, and character designer Yusuke Kozaki, known for his work on Speed Grapher.

Famitsu has first details on the game. In No More Heroes, you play as Travis Touchdown, a geek who wins a Beam Katana (a weapon that resembles a Light Saber) through an online auction and uses the weapon to start a new career as a professional killer. One day, an assassin named Helter Skelter appears before Travis and the two face off in a battle. Travis emerges victorious and finds himself in the presence of Silvia Christel, a French chick who claims to be an agent with the UAA (we're not entirely sure, but this appears to stand for United Assassins Association). Silvia gives Travis official rank of 11 in the organization.

No More Heroes takes place in the city of Santa Destroy, which is designed to look like a big city in the Western United States. You're free to explore the town to your liking, taking on missions large and small to collect money and purchase new weapons, although the game's storyline progresses only when you take on big killing jobs from the UAA. Your day begins in your motel room, where you change your clothes and get ready for a day out on the town. You can walk around town if you like, or you can speed around on your futuristic Schpeltiger motor bike.

Travis's clothing has special signifinace in the game. Travis is a big anime geek, so his shirts tend to sport anime-style witch characters. You'll also find wrestler and fighter designs. Grasshopper drafted Okama, the character designer for the opening of the recent Japanese television hit Densha Otoko, to create over 100 t-shirt designs.

T-shirts aside, No More Heroes is all about using your Beam Katana to defeat enemies. When fighting, you position the Wiimote facing up, centered, or facing down in order to move Travis into one of three fighting positions. To perform standard attacks, you repeatedly press the A button.

The game makes more direct use of the controller in some situations. When performing finishing moves, you're required to swing the controller in accordance with on-screen prompts. You're also required to shake the controller to power up your Beam Katana's energy meter.

In addition to basic foes, you'll also find bigger rivals. Travis wants to be the number one killer, and in order to do that, he'll have to defeat the remaining ten killers that rank above him. Only one rival has been introduced so far. Shinobu wears a short school girl outfit and attends Santa Destroy high school, but one look at her katana will convince you that she's earned her rank of 8 in the UAA.

No More Heroes is listed in Famitsu as being just 35% complete, but with a Japanese release due for Summer 2007. Suda hopes to sell one million copies of the game worldwide, suggesting that an international version is in planning.

Sounds very, very, good so far. :D But I'm not sure about killing a high school girl - even if she is an assassin. :woops:

Damn, I like the anime T-shirt idea.

Can't wait :)

Simple... I loved Killer7. The gameplay might not have been all there, but the story was one of the best i've seen in a game.

Not sure I like the sound of the sword fights.

When fighting, you position the Wiimote facing up, centered, or facing down in order to move Travis into one of three fighting positions. To perform standard attacks, you repeatedly press the A button.

I don't want to be pressing buttons, on the Wiimote, to move my katana. It just doesn't seem right.

http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/88646_1164787772600_122_516lo.jpg

first scan. graphics look quite good and maybe a bit different from the trailer. Anyone agree?

Yeah finally some news on (no more) Heroes.

I must say I'm a bit surprised. I thought it would be like killer7 but this sounds more like GTA actually.

However this isn't necessarily a bad thing. After all if you are an assassin it should be much more fun if you could kill anybody you want to instead of certain people during missions. And either no or a more intelligent police force on your tail than in GTA should also help the concept.

I'm a bit disappointed that you can't completely control the sword. I hope they'll implement that.

My problem with Heroes is that it's gonna feel like Shadow of the Colossus, just a series of boss battles with FMVs in between.

I'm not sure it's gonna be much of a game. I'm hyped sure.. but from that FMV with the bad voice acting it's not earnt my attention yet.

Thanks for the scan, 21stC. :) The graphics are certainly different from the trailer, but they still have some cel shading on them. I really like the look of it so far.

I'm not sure about the sword fighting, I would need to try it out and see. 1:1 would be a dream, but there are so many difficulties with implementing that kind of control (not least the fact that your Wiimote won't suddenly stop in mid-air when the in-game blade hits something). But they do at least let you do motions for the finishing moves, which should be really satisfying.

I bet the controls for this game will be really really intresting tahts my prediction anyway.

You tricked me,when I read the title I thought Heroes got cancelled :heh:

Sounds pretty good,hope the controls are good.

Damn, I hate the title of this thread :(

Still, looks pretty shweet, and the visuals look good, especially for a game which is only 35% complete.

You tricked me,when I read the title I thought Heroes got cancelled :heh:

Sounds pretty good,hope the controls are good.

Lol me too, i thought it was cancelled.

I like the sound of this. It sounds almost GTA-ish to me. roaming around doing jobs, get moeny buy stuff, do official missions etc.

My problem with Heroes is that it's gonna feel like Shadow of the Colossus.

I hope so. That would be great.

OOooo I really liked the original trailer for this game. It's nice to see developers taking their time with this game instead of rushing them for release. Also, it's great to see some more adult games on the way.

I hope so. That would be great.

SOTC left you wanting more, it was an experience.. but only half of what you'd normally get.

I don't wanna fight 13 d00dz in a row each with some cheesy voice acting and different styles of fighting.

I'm enjoying Killer7 but it's certainly a challenge to enjoy.

I almost shot my brains out when I misread that title. Killer 7 is one of my favourites, and I could not be looking forward to this more.

IF you look on the screenshots theres a small map that looks like the gta maps. Could this game be Hitman + gta = No More Heroes

screenshots?

Yep, 21stC Cowboy posted the link to a scan. :)

http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/88646_1164787772600_122_516lo.jpg

You can just see a map in the bottom left corner of that screenshot below the top six (the one with the red Wiimote logo). Feels like there is finally a GTA-like game on a Nintendo console now.

Apologies for the thread title, everyone. I realised how it could be read after I posted it, but my twisted sense of humour forced me to keep it that way. :P

wow... just wow. I want it!

and as many people has said before me >_< what a scary thread title.

Suda's little joke. :laughing:

More info?

Weapon and vehicle design is being handled by Shigeto Koyama

Character design by Yusuke Kozaki

Wiimote control is important. You keep the Wiimote either high, low, or centered to put the main character into certain fighting stances. Standard attacks are performed with the A button.

The Wiimote vibrates in conjuction with the Beam Katana

Finishing moves are performed by matching on screen gestures

The main city in the game is called Santa Destroy

You move about the game either by foot, or on your “motorcycle”, all of your own accord

You take mission objectives (murder targets) in order to collect money, or gain new weapons

You begin each day in a motel where you can change clothing and equipment. There are said to be over 100 t-shirts to collect.

Who was right that you would be acting as a hitman, when the video first came out. Me I am glad I am not losingit :D

Sweet, this certainly isn't just a bunch of boss battles then.

Could this be our GTA?

With more style than substance though (in a good way of course)?

Wow, that looks like an incredibly pimped out Killer 7 engine. As long as it keeps its strange fluiditiy and such (as in, hold A to move... yeah i kinda liked that on rails stuff.)