Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Mario Galaxy

Ashley

Okay, so after a rigorous media block out on the game, and a late buy, I have finally completed the whole game 120 stars yes I know about 121).

I know most has probably been said in this thread already so i'll keep it short.

It is the best game to come out since OoT. Brilliance.

Gamer TV on Bravo also named Galaxy game of the year :)

At least it was funny and can kinda see where he's coming from but can't agree... though he's likely just having a laugh.... unlike that propoganda creating christian fundamentalist review :shakehead

Watched his review of Guitar Hero 3 also, even funnier, hahaha

He's done some hilarious reviews, you should watch them all if you get the chance. He's usually overcynical about a lot of games and does piss on their bad points more than bring out their good points because that's what the public want :wink:

Nobody have the purple coin music? ;_;

My friend was whining at me that every site gave Mario Galaxy GOTY, I don't get his problem, he hasn't even played it.

I completed the game today (story wise), it was so magical (it was even snowing outside :)), I just couldn't believe how cinematic and beautiful the final cut scene was after I beat Bowser up till the credits.

I think my main disappointment with this game is that the red star is criminally underused. Don't get me wrong, I adore the game, think it definitely deserves its GOTY status, but I would have loved a few levels based around using the red star.

I think my main disappointment with this game is that the red star is criminally underused. Don't get me wrong, I adore the game, think it definitely deserves its GOTY status, but I would have loved a few levels based around using the red star.

I agree, it could have been used a bit more.

I think the purple comet idea was over used. I put those right up there with collecting triforce charts in wind waker in terms of how annoying they are.

They were the only challenging parts of the game, they were in no way annoying.

i too loved the purple comet challenges, they had their own level of difficulty and gave the game an extra challenge.... i still have nightmares about Toy and Dreadnaught galaxies ones... but in a good way.

And you can't compare them to the poor form of the tricforce collecting in Wind Waker as they are not needed to reach the games end sequence.

I didn't say that all comets were bad I'm just annoyed with the purple ones because that is all that seems to pop up lately, and I'm just tired of going from one purple comet to the next. It just seems like a cheap way of extending the game in my point of view. And as a loather of all things collectathon I found this type of comet annoying. Especially if you spend ages looking for coins only to die when you eventually find them.

I didn't say that all comets were bad I'm just annoyed with the purple ones because that is all that seems to pop up lately, and I'm just tired of going from one purple comet to the next. It just seems like a cheap way of extending the game in my point of view. And as a loather of all things collectathon I found this type of comet annoying. Especially if you spend ages looking for coins only to die when you eventually find them.

You had to get 100 coins in Mario 64 in Sunshinne (even though it sucked in SMS) too, but the levels didn't change while here, some levels actually change. So it's not cheap in any way considering it's not just the same level with 100 coins in there. Also it's normal that you only get purple comets, seeing that they're the hardest and the last ones to pop up.

'Completed' the game the other day: 120 stars, absolutely AWESOME!!

Loved the purple coin challenges! 'Luigi's purple coins' had me shouting at the TV a fair bit, but luckily I completed it after not too long, so didn't have to resort to launching the Wii-mote into screen!

I just loved the feeling of a classic mario game all the way through.

I kept recognising nods to past games and the music was just awesome [loved classic note collecting tunes!].

The way classic enemies were gradually introduced throughout the whole game, though why Cheep Cheeps didn't appear in any of the water levels [and only bouncing around that small planet] I don't know. And even Banzai Bill got an appearance in right near the end! The game was missing one guy though IMO:

Blargg.png

They could have put him in the lava worlds somewhere, or even when you're being star blasted over the surface of the lava have some appear try and take a bite out of you!

Loved the mix of the platforming, 3D and more traditional side scrolling, and also how the combined use of a set camera at times made the game more challenging and gave the game a somewhat 2D feel when you were in the 3D movement sections.

So glad I stayed away from loads of the media for this game and was therefore suprised throughout. Some great things unlocked along the way, and some great character suprises also and for finishing the game etc...

Favourite Galaxies are maybe:

FreezeFlame - climbing to the summit was just classic mario - ice skating rocks and even had some depth [skating backwards, spins etc...] - Fire Mario was great as ever - but Ice Mario has become an instant classic IMO: plain AWESOME!

Toy Galaxy - wasn't expecting this sort of a level and so when I saw it I was just loving it! The trains, the music, the retro feel, loved it!

The cinematic ending was fantastic, as were the cutscenes from beginning to end.

Everything looked just the way I would have wanted it too, Bowsers design was awesome [the best in YEARS] which I'm thankful for.

Love this game and it definately deserves GOTY.

Got all 120 stars earlier on. So happy that I finished it today, as I go back to work tomorrow, and won't have as mcuh free time with my Wii! Haven't completed a game "100%" for years! Really enjoyed the game, it was fun throughout and the purple coin challenges were terrific!

Will play through it again (as you know who) soon, with an aim of getting another 100%, and I cannot wait. Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Redident Evil 4 and Banjo Kazooie are the only games I have replayed after fully completing them, so that say's a lot about this game.

4 days for 120 stars. I'm gonna have to play mario64 again to see if I've just gotten better at games, or if they've made it too easy. I hope I'm just better.

It was an awesome game though, and I'm still playing through it with 'bonus guy'. Damn cosmic races!

Purple coins were so hugely annoying, the toy and ghost ones in particular, and the trash-blowing-up stars. I wanted to kill someone. But I felt great afterwards and it was good to have something in there I couldn't do.

Maybe not a perfect game, but it was pretty good. I've not played many new games this year so I can't say if it's game of the year...

From what I've heard that isn't even Xbox GOTY.

It isn't. The critic's award probably goes to Bioshock or Mass Effect.

I just read how much Halo 3 cost to produce, and was surprised how cheap it was, considering how much is sold (it cost $15M to make).

It's got me wondering how much SMG cost to produce. Does anyone know?