Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

Christmas films! I feel I've missed the majority on the telly, as the channels seem to favour showing them before the Big Day Itself.

I think Elf is teh best movie in recent years (besides the soppy storyline). Die Hard has to be congratulated for taking the anger route. Tangenting a bit -- Yellow Submarine was once shown on my birthday, so I always yearn to watch the film around this time.

Started watching Ninja the other night - seems to be an excellent macho OTT fightfest movie. Street Fighter was also attempted, with much LOLing and general hand-fawning-by-face.

Paranormal Activity: Originally I was meant to see Avatar, which was all good as I had been drinking a fair bit before hand and that could only improve the whole visual effects thing. Unfortunately the cinema was closed due to a power failure, so we went two minutes round the corner to another cinema. Man this film is fantastic. I'm not usually that affected by films, but man this creeped me right the fuck out. The timing and structure of the film is impecable in building the suspense and considering there are only three actors in the whole thing it really holds the attention. There were a few moments that I thought were a bit too staged, which sort of broke the realism, but wasn't that jarring. The sound effects were superbly subtle as well adding to the general unease. Basically if you liked Blair Witch when it first came out in the cinema and like slow built psychological horror you'll love this. If you didn't like Blair Witch you suck and don't deserve this film.

My favourite Christmas movies are:

Muppet Christmas Carol (of course!)

Jingle All The Way

Home Alone 1 and 2

Nightmare Before Christmas

Jack Frost

D'oh, I forgot about The Muppets Christmas Carol. Also, Paj, great shout with Batman Returns. I pretty much watch these films every Christmas, and love them. :)

Heathers

More ridiculous than I was expecting, but in some respects it makes it better as a movie. I love at the very end, how she just walks away, cigarette in mouth, singed.

Hate Christian Slater's weasel face.

Love Kate Bush (Shannen Doherty AKA Prue from Charmed) in it.

Good, but not really, but could be interpreted as great.

Doesn't impress, but doesn't fail to impress.

8/10

---

A Hole In My Heart

Quite stunning. By the end of the film, it felt like I knew the characters. Tess stunned, the rest were objects of H.A.T.E.

I hate looking at surgical images, so that ruined the film for me.

8.3/10

Edited by chairdriver

ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!

Visuals were out of this world, the characters were fantastic, wonderful story, emotional, believable world, and my first 3D film which made it all the more special... couldn't believe how clear and downright incredible everything looked!!

9/10

Question about everyones 3D experience... were the things that you thought might actually be meant to come out of the screen, not doing so... there were just a couple of these instances, like the water droplet right at the start (though it looked incredibly clear, it wasn't right in front of you), and the tip of Jakes gun at one point, and a couple of those plantlike danelion/jellyfish things.

Snow White

The nicely restored "Diamond edition".

Love this film. Haven't seen it in a good 8-9 years, brought back loads of memories. Lots of the images have a kind of...tactile memory? Not the right phrase but yeah. I remember loving the way she made the pie. I remember loving the perceived texture of the apple dripping green from the cauldron etc.

I love Adrianna Casselotti's voice too.

Almost too much of a classic. Almost having too much of an influence on cinema.

Yes Man

Jim Carey stars as the person he is in every other movie. Hapless guy a little down on his luck who likes to pull stupid faces every now and again. The concept of the film isn't bad and neither is the film itself, it's all just terribly, terribly middling. The story is unbelievably predictable, some scenes are mildly funny whilst others aren't and the ending is incredibly brief. The whole thing is wrapped up very quickly. It is an easy movie to watch however and makes for nice light entertainment if one is too tired to watch a challenging film. I still like Jim Carey.

5/10, but i enjoyed it.

The Incredibles

My favourite Pixar maybe. I love every second of it: The art, the characters, the world of tomorrow/ silver age homage. Everything. It's just fantastic.

I love LOVE that the BBC got it on iPlayer. Blade Runner's on there too, expiring tonight, FYI.