Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

Watchmen

From the trailers I thought it would be a lovably bad action flick. Although the film was far from it.

The first hour and a half was fairly confusing. It explained bits in tiny bits (with lots of extremely long/boring monologues thrown in) and felt more like a collection of short stories more than anything else.

So it started coming together. This is an alternate reality where Blue Wang (he really needed to wear his underwear too often) helps America win in Vietnam. These superheroes also exist. It took me a while to figure out that they had powers (well, Blue Wang was obvious) and weren't just trained...I'm still not sure if they were a bunch of people who just met every now and then (like the meetings in the rented room suggested) or a group with lots of money (like the spaceship thing suggested). It also seems that Nixon had his presidency extended and Russia are more aggressive (due to Vietnam, I think).

Then it all started coming together, all the stories started fitting. And then it became a camp 60's laughably-bad action film. Then Robin (aka "The Smartest Gut in The World") blows up 12 (or something) cities (it was cool that he succeeded in destroying them). A fight happens.

And then it had the most retarded ending in any film ever. I thought Knowing had a stupid ending...but World Peace? Letting the guy that killed millions go unpunished? I thought the Graphic Novel was generally well liked...how can anyone like it with a stupid ending like that?

The action scenes were also a chore to watch. There were some cool moments, but overall it just felt disjointed. The graphic style for the action had no continuity. Why do people/body parts explode when shot/punched in every other scene? Also, the slow-mo was overdone. And was the scene in the jail (attacking the inmates running at them one-at-a-time) robbed from 300?

Overall, I was quite torn by this film. I was confused for a while but it eventually started coming together to I point where I was loving the film. And then it all fell apart.

It's odd...I spent ages thinking "when is the superhero bit starting"? only to end up liking everything before they don their costumes to save the day.

First Part: 9/10

Second Part: 6/10

Ending: -100/10

I always find differences between the graphic novel readers/not readers reactions amusing.

There was actually a thread about the concept behind the ending when the film came out. Have a bury through that. But basically its a classic concept; destroy for the sake of building a better tomorrow? God did it :p

There was actually a thread about the concept behind the ending when the film came out. Have a bury through that. But basically its a classic concept; destroy for the sake of building a better tomorrow? God did it :p

Aye, it's a great classic concept. It was just ruined by them answering it.

Aye, it's a great classic concept. It was just ruined by them answering it.

The ending in the novel is much better. Same basic concept but less shallow. The novel genuinely shocked me, the film I was like "oh, NYC's been destroyed again".

The Hangover

Hilariously funny, did what it had to which was make me laugh. Got some memorable quotes and "actions" (the asian guy's hand gesture of exploding his manjuice everywhere mainly).

I didn't realise it had the guy from American Office. Epic

Definitely a buy on DVD :)9.5/10!

The Hangover - 7.5/10

Very funny in places, with the story played out in a fairly gripping way for what it is. I liked it a lot, but I didn't love it and didn't find it quite as memorable as Superbad.

The Hangover

Hilariously funny, did what it had to which was make me laugh. Got some memorable quotes and "actions" (the asian guy's hand gesture of exploding his manjuice everywhere mainly).

I didn't realise it had the guy from American Office. Epic

Definitely a buy on DVD :) 9.5/10!

Yes! Ed Helms. He's absolutely hilarious IMO. (In both this and The Office)

Superbad gets high scores from me even if it was ONLY this line in the whole film, I'd still rate it highly.

An out of breath [/i]Seth Rogen]He's a freak. He's the fastest kid alive.

Bill Hader + Seth Rogen + Michael Cera + Jonah Hill + Christopher Mintz-Plasse ....*checks spelling*....its a fucking dream cast for me.

I think the reason most people like Superbad is because it adds comedy to a situation they can relate to. I can remember being underage and being tasked with getting the alcohol for a part A and the hilarity that would generally ensue.

I can definitely remember the summer before me and my mates went away to uni and how strange it was to know that in a month or so you wouldn't be seeing them practically every day.

And I'm sure most of us can remember the whole trying to get a girlfriend thing.

Guest Captain Falcon
Ice age 3

I think it was possibly my favourite, saw it in 2D rather than 3D which I may go and try and see.

I really enjoyed it, the jokes were much more adult like than the first two making it more enjoyable for adults as well as the kids.

Definately watch it again

8/10

I saw this yesterday and I can't say I was feeling the love.

The plot seem to take a while to really get going which seems a little strange for a kids film. Plus there seemed to be some inconsistencies with the size of the creatures - they could at least make it seem a little more credible.

The deranged weasel with the British accent wasn't introduced until about halfway through (about when the plot seems to get going) and yet he still managed to outstay his welcome by the end.

It's easy to be critical, but then the film wasn't really aimed at me - it was my friends choice not mine. There were some positives, I thought the score on the whole was really well done and the squirrels acorn quest brought enough interruptions to the main story arch as to pad out the running time to a respectable length that wouldn't be troublesome for kids to sit though.

It's a 5 out of 10, but no more.

Edit: but because I'm a man of my word, and Nightwolf has called me on it, I'm going to give it a 6 out of 10.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Guest Captain Falcon
You said you'd give it 6 out of 10!

Actually, I think I did now you said that...

Pokemon 4Ever

I've only seen this movie and the first but...is everything made better by crying? Because if so we probably shouldn't diss emos so much.

Also, Suicine = sweetcorn?

Anyone else get a "lets throw together a load of Miyazaki films" feel?

And it touched upon an aspect I find interesting about the franchise; the legend/folkloristic aspect. Shame its not touched upon more.

The ending, with the Sammy reveal, is kinda an amusing fanwank but its huge plotholes. Yes the drawing faded a bit but are we to presume he forgot every Gold and Silver Pokemon he saw? :p

And why was Harvey Weinstein thanked at the end...what did he do I wonder? :heh: (oh okay Miramax helped with the dubbing which Weinstein owns...makes sense)

Edited by Ashley

Pokemon 4Ever

I've only seen this movie and the first but...is everything made better by crying? Because if so we probably shouldn't diss emos so much.

Also, Suicine = sweetcorn?

Anyone else get a "lets throw together a load of Murakami films" feel?

And it touched upon an aspect I find interesting about the franchise; the legend/folkloristic aspect. Shame its not touched upon more.

The ending, with the Sammy reveal, is kinda an amusing fanwank but its huge plotholes. Yes the drawing faded a bit but are we to presume he forgot every Gold and Silver Pokemon he saw? :p

And why was Harvey Weinstein thanked at the end...what did he do I wonder? :heh: (oh okay Miramax helped with the dubbing which Weinstein owns...makes sense)

i watched it a coupel of moths ago. it was actualy kinda cool, had a princess mononoki feel to it, but ovviosuly not any were near as good.

i just liked it for the teddysura or what ever its called, the geet cute little teddybear. i want.

i watched it a coupel of moths ago. it was actualy kinda cool, had a princess mononoki feel to it, but ovviosuly not any were near as good.

i just liked it for the teddysura or what ever its called, the geet cute little teddybear. i want.

(just realised I wrote Murakami rather than Miyazaki...its late)

Teddiursa (sp?) is pretty cool. They should have one at the build-a-bear factory :p

There was definately Mononoke but also Nausicaa (the flying machine thing and later similar in Howl's...and a lot of his films really) and other's I've already forgotten about.