N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

Soylent Green

I feel smug. I've seen this movie and you haven't. Ner.

I haven't, but like many films I know of it through reading (lol, I read more about films than watch them) and will know references when mentioned. Such as the Dollhouse finale :p

It's people!

Heathers ?/10

Really quite odd film I got free with The Observer a few weeks back. I thought it was good but I just wasn't too sure what to make of it. It was nicely satirical and pretty dark but there was something about it that's thrown me a bit. I think it was that dammed 80's film soundtrack o_O.

Heathers is a fantastic film. I think its meant to throw you. (pointless fact: I wrote a folkloristic essay on it). And Que Sera Sera isn't 80s and probably the film's highlight. That and the line "fuck me gently with a chainsaw!" Always good to throw that line around.

I mean to get around to seeing Heathers, I know it's meant to be the Mother of the "good" female-led school dramadies.

That sentence sounds awful if you read it aloud.

Although you've reminded me, I keep meaning to somehow find Coming Soon since hearing about it while researching a (different) assignment last year.

I thought you might like it Ashley. When I said soundtrack I didn't mean that, just all the back round music and the like. Gave atmosphere but I hated the 80's-ness of it =P.

But its so quotable:

"My son's a homosexual, and I love him. I love my dead gay son. "

"Wonder how he'd react if his son had a limp wrist with a pulse."

"Did you have a brain tumor for breakfast?"

"Dear Diary, my teen-angst bullshit now has a body count."

In fact, when im in a melodramatic mood I often refer to it as my "teen-angst bullshit". Now I want to watch it again.

I loved that funeral, dead gay son indeed :D I did really like it most of the time, just found it odd and the sounds irked me somewhat :S Also, the entire film seems to be on youtube if anyone wants to watch it.

Into The Wild - you'll either find this to be snobbish and unrealistic, entirely dressed up in sentimental parkas and contrived scarves, with dangled hooks of pretentiousness -- OR you'll love it for the whimsical, born-free hippyfest that celebrates the presence of god in everything.

It's based on the true story of one Christopher McCandless AKA Alexander Supertramp, who took a roundabout odyssey through the states on his way to Alaska, meeting late 60's throwback long hair and loose love. A man who tries to grow up too fast, but whose vivacity infects all who stand too close.

Dog Day Afternoon is also based on true events; a man attempts to hold up a bank and what ensues is a 14-hour hostage situation that will best be known for the improvised "Attica! Attica!" scene that we all know thanks to House M.D. Al Pacino, directed by Sidney Lumet (most famous for 12 Angry Men), plays a man's-got-issues, typical opressed-70s-hero whose unshakable core 'good' leads to almost stockholm-syndrome levels of sympathy. Pacino lost out to Nicholson's role in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest at the '75 oscars, and this film is much touted as one of the best non-oscar-winning performances there is. Very watchable.

Sepico is another Pacino/Lumet movie, where Pacino plays a good cop in a bad department; hippy to the bone, with one of the best movie beards ever. I really think the 70s is growing to be my favourite movie decade.

Hooray for automerge!

McCabe & Mrs Miller, my first knowing Altman movie outside of Short Cuts, and besides the really annoying fake snow 'effect' that they kept using, it was an almost-solid foray into the western frontier genre. I've heard before that Altman knows his stuff when it comes to westerns, but after my Eastwood tour-de-force-athon the other week, I felt let down by the lack of protagonist charisma, especially when it came to the titular relationship with Mrs Miller - the movie was too scared to wander into romantic territory, and unfortunately did not form enough substance elsewhere for me to really feel it. Whilst I do concede the contemporary expectations would've been far exceeded, I think I'll just add my vote to the pile of poor Altman being born maybe a decade or so too soon for cinema.

But then, I've only seen, what, three/four of his movies?

The Bucket List

You wouldn't think a film about two men only having 6 months to live would be all that fun to watch but it was really good. It's serious but lighthearted, I think they got the balance just right. Having Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson together worked really well too.

The Usual Suspects

I think I hyped this film up too much for myself, because it wasn't as "big" as I imagined it to be. The job they did wasn't as big as I expected it to be. It might've been because I was playing Platinum at the time that I might have missed something.

On a seperate note.

Was it really Spacey?

Eight Shabba's

shabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpg

shabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpg

Yes.

Badlands follows the Bonnie and Clyde school of thought that we saw continue with Natural Born Killers and Wild and Heart and to some extent True Romance. Martin Sheen plays the bad boy, with Sissy Spacek his very young lover as they go on the run for the twisted I'll do anything for love sentiment. Amorality and love are supposedly contrary things, but true love surely asks for the lover to be willing to do anything, and to forgive anything, right?

Terrence Malick is a most curious director who has brought out about little more than 4 films in 40 years, and I'm eager to chase them all down. Another great 70's movie :D

Xmen Origins Wolverine

I suppose seeing it already has somewhat skewed my review score somewhat but I think the film left a lot to be desired, action scenes was boring. Gambit finally makes a debut and it made me want to kill myself. All in all I give the film 3/10

As for my date she gets 10/10 looked much better than the film, kept me entertained and she rocks just for the fact that she doesn't do chick flicks.

Badlands. In a similar vein to Natural Born Killers and True Romance, only 20 years earlier and without the cinema sheen. Martin Sheen takes a young Sissy Spacek on the run after killing her father, and will tolerate no witnesses to end their love.

Terrence Malick is an unbelievable director. He compacts a 140 minute film into 90 minutes, sparing nothing in this terse story. His musical score grows from the xylophone intro that is embedded in the cultural consciousness through gentle guitar ditties and progressing the tension with wafting choral waves that cumulatively build climax after climax. He's made less than half a dozen movies over a career spanning over 4 decades. He is a man of the art, that even directors like Spielberg try to replicate.

There are no surprises or twists. All characters, ultimately, act in an inevitable and, in a sense, rational way so the viewer is never surprised -- just gripped, saddled up in the back-seat.

Mawesome.