Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

My only peeve with Iron Man was the fact that the action wasn't all that great... wich sadly affects literally all super hero movies. :heh: I mean, Spider-Man should have much better action, right? :(

Anywho, I loved Iron Man.

The action was nice, could've been better, but tbh I never noticed a lack of quality in it. Specially because being bombarded by awesome every 15 seconds makes it hard to miss anything. But you know how introductions to super-hero worlds are.

Spider-man 2 had great action and even those who hated 3 have to admit there some pretty fucking sweet sequences. When parker and harry were duking it out in those straight alleys it was very well done.

The Mist (2007)

One of the more...intelligent horror movies of recent times. Not just random hack and slash, but actual interesting conversation. (Which for a modern horror movie you have to admit is pretty good).

I love how it portrayed religion as something that takes over people's minds, and makes them crazy and homicidal. Marcia Gay's performace as the crazy religious lady was fantastic, from the moment she started talking I wanted to stab her. Seriously even if you hate horror movies, watch the movie just for her.

The ending was...pretty shocking, a real kick in the teeth tbh.

7.5/10

The Mist (2007)

One of the more...intelligent horror movies of recent times. Not just random hack and slash, but actual interesting conversation. (Which for a modern horror movie you have to admit is pretty good).

I love how it portrayed religion as something that takes over people's minds, and makes them crazy and homicidal. Marcia Gay's performace as the crazy religious lady was fantastic, from the moment she started talking I wanted to stab her. Seriously even if you hate horror movies, watch the movie just for her.

The ending was...pretty shocking, a real kick in the teeth tbh.

7.5/10

Been planning on watching this soon...not a big fan of horror movies though. Most of the stories are ridiculous and then the endings are just completely stupid.....not surprised to hear that the ending for this is awful. :heh:

Been planning on watching this soon...not a big fan of horror movies though. Most of the stories are ridiculous and then the endings are just completely stupid.....not surprised to hear that the ending for this is awful. :heh:

Well I didn't really mean awful when I said "shocking". But, it's either really good, or really terrible. You'll have to decide. Let's just say there's a but of a...twist.:heh:

Well I didn't really mean awful when I said "shocking". But, it's either really good, or really terrible. You'll have to decide. Let's just say there's a but of a...twist.:heh:

Looking up on The Mist I've got this one confused with the new one that has Jessica Alba in it.

Do you know what it's called? :)

Anyway Teen Horror movies are always a laugh.

Looking up on The Mist I've got this one confused with the new one that has Jessica Alba in it.

Do you know what it's called? :)

Anyway Teen Horror movies are always a laugh.

Hehe, that ones called "The Eye". It's a little terrible to be honest.

They are! It's always fun to watch them in a big group of people with the lights off whilst hyper on sugar or a little typsy. Makes for a fun times. :D

Hehe, that ones called "The Eye". It's a little terrible to be honest.

They are! It's always fun to watch them in a big group of people with the lights off whilst hyper on sugar or a little typsy. Makes for a fun times. :D

Perfect! I love terrible horror movies! :heh:

Thanks for clearing that up for me Haggis. : peace:

Osmosis Jones

Chris Rock and Niles Krane team up to save Bill Murray from Morpheus. Not brilliant, but it's perfectly enjoyable, and great kids fare. Has a couple of clever little ideas scattered around it too.

6/10

Rumble in the Bronx

Jackie Chan stars in this all-action movie. He comes over to America to help his Uncle only to end up getting into a lot of trouble with a local gang who get in trouble with a mob gang. Good story to it, only downside is the length of some scenes other than that, 8/10

Star Trek 8: First Contact

Haven't seen it for quite a few years and it's even better than I remembered. Every main character has a big enough role in it and Picards "inner demons" are quite an interesting take as well. Also how history is falsified, the Borg making Data more human, and what defines humans in general, was pretty interesting. It provided a nice balance between Action, Comedy and Drama (in lack of a better description) at a good pace and had superb music and effects. Sure they could go much farther with each theme but as Picard would say: "this far and no farther, the line must be drawn here..."

8.5/10

Smoking Aces

Cool premise of a film but was expecting action comedy in the form of crank. Instead, what i got was a really serious thriller, with a smidgen of dark humour and action. Decent film, but not what I was in the mood for.

7/10

In the last week...

The Man who Wasn't There

It's not my favourite Coen, but I certainly admire their ambition. It's sort of a film-noir set in the 50's (would you believe it), and does a decent job in setting this (black & white, aliens etc.). The film does raise a few questions, though. I might try and watch it again. It seems like a film I would enjoy more if I got to know the plot a bit more.

8/10

Iron Man

I know, I'm late jumping on the bandwagon, but still...

An excellent first act and a pretty good second act was, imo, tarnished by a lousy ending. I can't put my finger on why, though. I suppose it reached it's conclusion too fast, and the final action sequence was overall pretty meh. I freakin' loved Downey Jr. though, as always. One of my favourite actors of recent years.

7.5/10

Unbreakable

Not sure about anyone else, but I freakin' love this film. I rewatched it tonight, and it was even better than I remembered. Here's the thing about it; It's basically the first act of a typical superhero movie, or the opening of one where the protagonist discovers he has extra-normal powers; stretched across an entire 2-hour film, structured as a character study. But the most fascinating part about this is that it's set in a very realistic world (You'd understand what I mean if you've watched this). I think everyone should see this because, even if you don't care for it, you would at least be intrigued.

Brilliant film, though probably the only good film M. Night Shylaman has every done.

9.5/10

Osmosis Jones

Chris Rock and Niles Krane team up to save Bill Murray from Morpheus. Not brilliant, but it's perfectly enjoyable, and great kids fare. Has a couple of clever little ideas scattered around it too.

6/10

Haha! I tuned into this with about a third of the movie left, whilst rather intoxicated, and all I could think was "why the heck haven't I heard of this before?"

Unbreakable

Not sure about anyone else, but I freakin' love this film. I rewatched it tonight, and it was even better than I remembered. Here's the thing about it; It's basically the first act of a typical superhero movie, or the opening of one where the protagonist discovers he has extra-normal powers; stretched across an entire 2-hour film, structured as a character study. But the most fascinating part about this is that it's set in a very realistic world (You'd understand what I mean if you've watched this). I think everyone should see this because, even if you don't care for it, you would at least be intrigued.

Brilliant film, though probably the only good film M. Night Shylaman has every done.

9.5/10

Damn right. One of my favourites. Epic epic epic.

Flags of our Fathers

Started off well, but got very boring soon afterwards. Could have been much better.

5/10

Letters From Iwo Jima

Much better! A masterpiece. Great storyline, characters, action, flashbacks and script.

9.5/10

Monsters Inc

Underrated Pixar films, which has much more funnier scenes that recent offerings.

7/10

Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

A promising start to the movie i'v been wanting for 10 years. However as the story line progresses i find my jaw dropping more and more, and not in the "oh my god this is awesome" kind of way. More like a "wtf was Lucas smoking" kind of look. Dont get me wrong, the movie itself was good but i didnt find it fitting with the Indiana Jones series.

Anyone who has seen the movie will know what i mean, i just find the overall plot a little bit... Out there for a indy movie. Take away the Indy name and it wouldnt have done anywhere near as well as what it has. Rumor has it they have signed a deal for number 5 aswell now.

As a movie 6/10

As a Indy movie 3/10

Guest Jordan

Futurama DVD Special 2 - The Beast With a Billion Backs.

Dodging spoilers here, but over all this felt so incredibly disjointed from the first special 'Benders Big Score'. Although aiming for yet another sob storyline, Fry goes off with a new girl (and completely disregarding Leela the love of his life and a month ago she was dating his future self Lars?) all of a sudden, shes over that and they're all ape shit scared over a huge rip in space.

The story dances around, there are some genuinely funny parts. Its far, far better than the first special with a greater concept but some of the animation is a little ropey and the voice acting is a little dodgy in areas. Over all, better than the first but still didn't hit the drama or laughs the original seasons had.

6/10

I just found Beast With A Billion backs fun, but a bit weird. I mean for a lot of the movie the tear between realities just seemed like a side story which didnt matter too much until probably half way through.

I watched it with my friend though and he loved it more than the first movie, whereas I think I prefered Benders Big Score.

Hot Fuzz

Fan-fucking-tastic film! So many regular english faces performing at their very best helps really sell that this film is set in england. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are hilarious in their roles, the plot twists are brilliant with some being truly surprising, the gore is shocking and excellent (in some places, it out does shawn of the dead!) and the action set pieces are so ingenious, entertaining but faithful to the location (see the film and you will understand). Love this film so much! Why did it take me so long to watch it!

9.5/10

Hulk (03)

Felt like watching Ang Lees version of the Hulk with the new movie out this weekend.

I dont think its as bad as ive remembered it, of course that doesnt mean its particularly brilliant., the action is pretty good. It does however have very boring bits in it which drag on. I dont like the changes in his origin and his father/badguy either.

Im not sure which Hulk design I prefer. This Hulk is ok but his shade of green is a bit too light whereas the new Hulk I think is a bit too dark. I think aswell that they made 03 Hulk a bit too big.

I quite like the comic book style of editing that was used for the movie but of course that doesnt help with the boring bits.

Still, its done its job in getting me excited for the new movie.

5.5/10

Hot Fuzz

Fan-fucking-tastic film! So many regular english faces performing at their very best helps really sell that this film is set in england. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are hilarious in their roles, the plot twists are brilliant with some being truly surprising, the gore is shocking and excellent (in some places, it out does shawn of the dead!) and the action set pieces are so ingenious, entertaining but faithful to the location (see the film and you will understand). Love this film so much! Why did it take me so long to watch it!

9.5/10

Very yes. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost rule.

(and completely disregarding Leela the love of his life and a month ago she was dating his future self Lars?) all of a sudden, shes over that

It wasn't that unexpected, though. It happens quite a few times in the series. Fry and Lela are pretty much together at the end of The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings but then back to normal in Bender's Big Score.

Anyway, I like The Beast With a Billion Backs quite a lot. Even though it felt a bit disjointed, it seemed a lot less forced than Bender's Big Score. All the back references and recurring characters were done a lot better in this one.

8/10

Flags of our Fathers

Started off well, but got very boring soon afterwards. Could have been much better.

5/10

Letters From Iwo Jima

Much better! A masterpiece. Great storyline, characters, action, flashbacks and script.

9.5/10

Although I feel you overrated Iwo Jima a bit, I totally agree. : peace:

Princess Mononoke

I've been wanting to see this for ages! I take my hat off to Film4 for showing Ghibli films, also for saying this was one of the films to see before you die, because it was.

I expected this to be as good as everyone has said it was, and I wasn't disappointed.

It was epic, it was beautiful, and just all-round amazing. I loved every chugging minute of it.

10/10