Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

Eenuh; that sounds like an interesting paper to write :) The bits of the film where he stares intently at the picture on his wall and 'zones in', and the waves crashing in general, and the noise of the neighbours... Awesome. Sound and lighting are two factors of movies I pay the least attention to. I've started noticing the role of lighting and make-up recently - and wardrobe (last scene in Battle Royale, which I also watched last night, has two people running through a city and they keep having to pull on their bag straps/hoodie shoulders as the clothes don't fit... aah rambleralbeakrnmaramble)

Well I've just finished Blood Simple, and I really enjoyed teh character unfolding, the way the focus shifted from one to the other made each character less creepy than usual coen style. I found myself just trying to imagine a police detective coming across all the crime scenes and trying to unravel the correct order of things, of who did what when and why.

I also enjoyed the double irony throughout, and only found one scene where the character didn't really respond accurately (The girl when 'Ray' is telling her 'what she did).

Not as self-conscious as Hudsucker Proxy or Barton Fink, and because of that, the film had greater depth in character realism. The film reminded me a little of fargo (leading lady certainly helped) and Pulp Fiction. Some might argue that the scenes are too slow, but I argue that the scenes are built up of lots of little obstacles/victories that you would genuinely take the time to think about.

Ray had to get rid of the body. How the whole scene is counter-intuitive when you compare what happens to the usual movie representation; he doesn't drive straight to a deserted field and begin digging a 6-foot hole with a firm grimace on his face. In Blood Simple, you see Ray's anxiety as each truck passes, as he's burying and how the gun looks and sounds like a toy one... the mental scarring aaah.. :P And of course how that guy who was flashing for his lights... well imagine having just disposed of a body, this guy is going to know what you look like now - but then the glimpse you had of him was momentary, and yet you can't help but ponder on his every feature -- surely he shall do the same and when teh case comes up he'll say "oh yes officer I remember this fellow..." and proceed to describe your every feature precisely... but then, he'll probably just forget. I don'tknow. I'm rambling a lot. Bit not-sober.

So YEAH I liked teh film a lot. It seems every successive Coen film I watch I seem to find a new favourite Coen film. Lucky for me there's a crapload more I've not seen.

ahem. 9/10

I know people will point to Fargo and No Country For Old Men as their best films, but to me the best film The Coen Brothers ever made was - 'The Man Who Wasnt There.'

Just pure brilliance in every form.

Fargo, NCFOM & Miller's Crossing. Probably their best 3.

The Man Who Wasn't there is divine, though. :bowdown:

Cloverfield

Saw it last week out of recommendation from a bunch of people who have seen it already and loved it.

Well i loved it as well. Went to cinema not knowing hardly anything about what is gunna happen all got told is that it is a handheld camera.

The first 20 minutes sets the sence i guess but got to the point where you want something to happen then IT DOES in a big way then its action all the way to the end.

9/10

Ratatouille

More 'Monsters Inc' than 'Toy Story' or 'Finding Nemo', but it was a LOT better than 'Cars'. Again, it was 30minutes too long, so doubt I'll be watching it again soon. Maybe Pixar should go back to making 80 - 90 minute features, instead of 2 hour epics, then they could give us more movies.

Fantastic animation btw! Best yet!

7/10

Licence to Wed

A joy to watch Robin Williams once more during the first half, but it soon got boring and cringeworthy. The plot had potential, but was lame and there wasn't many jokes included.

4/10

Ratatouille

More 'Monsters Inc' than 'Toy Story' or 'Finding Nemo', but it was a LOT better than 'Cars'. Again, it was 30minutes too long, so doubt I'll be watching it again soon. Maybe Pixar should go back to making 80 - 90 minute features, instead of 2 hour epics, then they could give us more movies.

Fantastic animation btw! Best yet!

7/10

Every single word you uttered is shite. Shut the fuck up. Seriously. : peace:

Fargo

Ahh the Coen brothers eh. Superb as always, great characters and most amusing dialogue... yah? Oh yah. Where is pancake's Pancake's house? And the leg in the woodchipper? Great dark humor

Kinda ended sooner than i thought it would though, as there didn't seem to be that much of a climax at the end... Still, great film

9 / 10

Now i only have one (decent) Coen film left to see!! A man who wasn't there, though i see people say it's good...

coen bros seem to be the topic of the week, eh? :P

Well, I've just been watching Panic on the Streets, a 1950s movie by the director Elia Kazan who did East of Eden. Panic is a noir-ish movie about one guy trying to convince the establishment that there's a plague on the loose - sort of like how the guy in jaws knows what's happening and nobody believes him, 'cept people believe this guy :P

To tell you the truth, any film before the '70s is hard to rate. It's tricky to place the movie in some sort of 'chain of events' leading towards modern cinema; tricky to see exactly how any film had any bearing on modern cinema. Panic is special in that the movie was not shot in any studio, and that the actors chosen weren't just so because of notoriety; they were chosen because they looked the part, and I must say that the characters, especially Blackie, were solid epitomes of character. The story itself carries a lot of the weight of the movie, and of course it takes a while to get going, but it was a fairly enjoyable unfolding of an inevitability that seems to be the generic way of story-telling of that period.

I always feel that these black and white movies are overlooked, but it's a different period of cinema and thus I find it hard to appreciate them properly. But this movie was acted out well, and told swiftly. The film delivered different perspectives in terms of how immigrants viewed the law, in how the law dealt with their problems and so forth... But still, I'd like to see other opinions on the film :)

I would rate it 6/10; above what I was expecting but certainly nothing there to blow me away, unlike a couple of Orwell films around/before the period where it's easier to tell how the film had influenced the modern era.

I also saw Be Kind Rewind at the cinema today, and we agreed that the film was confusing in terms of what it was aiming to be. The funnies in the first third of the film are based on unrealistic, bizarre circumstances yet the rest of the film relies on ties to the real world for its laughs. The premise is almost forced, and treads a tightrope over the realm of cliché. It's as if the film makers knew they had a brilliant idea for a film, but couldn't bring themselves to execute it without at least trying to adhere to one genre or another.

There's a few moments of breaking-the-4th-wall (sigourney weaver ffs!) and many moments of unnecessary circumstantual positioning that could have been best absent, and a general sort of feeling that the film is either trying to be seriously clever with its deep meaning or, which is most likely, has been sloppy with its execution, and eager to pretend it means more than it really does.

Jack Black is not his normal over-the-top self, and I think the film is no worse for it. I've started to appreciate Mos Def as some sort of actor, but I just can't get past the fact that the film has shoe-horned a cool idea into a generic hollywood plot, of sorts.

Again, apologies for the nonsense ramblings. I'd've made more sense if I'd gone to bed earlier.

6/10

*goes back to Falling Down*

Ratatouille

It isn't bad, not at all, but I was maybe expecting a bit too much from what I've heard about it from others. I found both Cars and The Incredibles (the latter is superior to anything, really) more entertaining and touching than Ratatouille. I give it 8/10 as it was entertaining and intelligent, but it lacked something.

American Beauty

Saw it for the first time last Saturday. It. Was. Awesome. This is my type of movie, it was really great. Can't praise it enough, only downside is that it isn't watchable within some timeframe - at least I know I can't - I will see it again in three months or so, I guess. 9/10

Scrubs season 6

It was nice and enjoyable, though not the best season. I liked how there was less focus on J.D.'s trouble with random women this time around, though, as I was growing a bit tired of that. This season wasn't as funny as the first couple of seasons but who in the world would ever believe that anything could be so funny? Nah, they made a good dicision with stopping at the 7th season, yes. Season 6 scores 7/10 from me.

I really like the title of There Will Be Blood. It sounds so.. epic and great. I will watch it sooner or later. Same goes with Juno.

I am really trying to stop myself from buying the first 3 right now. The advert for the 4th looks inceredible and I want to see the first 3. £10 for 3 movies..it's torture.

I bought all three last year in HMV for £5, which was nice.

2 more movies i watched yesterday

Rambo: First Blood Part II

The sequel to the first movie (duh). This time, it sees Rambo heading into the jungle on a photographic mission which turns bloody and violent thanks to betrayal. Similar format to the first movie, just more exciting and bloody later on. 9/10

Rambo III

The third movie in the series (can't say trilogy anymore). We see Rambo working in a monestry and as a fighter instead of battling bad guys. Later on, it gets bloody as we expect it to happen in this type of movie. Not as good as the first 2 movies, but it is still well worth a watch. 8/10

Tomorrow, my review of the new Rambo

I eagerly await you opinion on the film ReZ. If you don't say its better than "Juno" and "No Country For Old Men" you have no bearing on quality. And if you don't say it's better than "Cloverfield" you have no bearing on life.

Just checked local cinemas and not on. Im trying to check MK right now which is the most likely, but the websites not loading atm. Really wanna see it.

OMG I'm watching Rambo tonight. I'm SO hyped (you have no idea)!!!

Just finished watching Rambo III. It's more OTT than the other two but i absolutely love it; a couple of the lines that the afgans say about how thousands of them have died trying to protect themselves and thier country really got to me (probs cos i'm asian).

Awesome movie, 8 out of 10!

Edit: Stevkov: £10 for these 3 movies is a bloody bargain. Rambo is actually a really likable character and his ruthlessness is just incredible to watch. I mean, here you have a man who fought with everything for his country and when he gets back from 'nam, him and the other soldiers are treated like shit; it makes you really feel for him :(

Go on youtube and watch the trailers for the first 3 rambo movies; they are BETTER than the trailers for the new one by quite some way.

OMG I'm watching Rambo tonight. I'm SO hyped (you have no idea)!!!

Just finished watching Rambo III. It's more OTT than the other two but i absolutely love it; a couple of the lines that the afgans say about how thousands of them have died trying to protect themselves and thier country really got to me (probs cos i'm asian).

Awesome movie, 8 out of 10!

Edit: Stevkov: £10 for these 3 movies is a bloody bargain. Rambo is actually a really likable character and his ruthlessness is just incredible to watch. I mean, here you have a man who fought with everything for his country and when he gets back from 'nam, him and the other soldiers are treated like shit; it makes you really feel for him :(

Go on youtube and watch the trailers for the first 3 rambo movies; they are BETTER than the trailers for the new one by quite some way.

Ive never seen any of the Rocky films, people always say they are good though.