N-Europe

Nintendo Switch Successor Announced

• 2 weeks later...

Just got done watching this video...

...in which Bosman brings up Yves Guillemot saying that Nintendo kind of warned Ubisoft that some games are a once-a-generation thing, and in hindsight Ubisoft probably should've held off on releasing Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope until the Switch 2 launch window. 

I've been thinking about it a bit lately and this video just reinforced the question internally for me: just how many people are holding things back to announce right now until that potential big blowout Switch 2 event? I can't help but think back to the January 2017 Switch presentation and how things like SMT V and Octopath Traveler were some of the biggest commitments we saw coming out of the show.

Now? Atlus are likely prepping Persona 3 Reload and Metaphor ReFantazio ports for that launch window, but with how Atlus have seemingly turned their backs on PlayStation team-ups for that sweet Game Pass money, it doesn't seem impossible at all to me that something like Persona 6 could be getting announced here now that the series is on everything. 

Meanwhile, Square Enix haven't said a peep about the Final Fantasy IX or Tactics remakes which were leaked FOREVER ago in the Nvidia leaks, and while plans change and maybe those projects were even cancelled (I say, knowing full well that IX's 25th anniversary is next year, and I'll be damned if S-E don't do something for it), it's one of those situations where, hey, they're probably waiting for this thing to be announced at this point, right?

I imagine it's similar for Dragon Quest XII, because seeing how poorly the series consistently does over here in the West (to the collective chagrin of literally every single JRPG fan outside of Japan), and how poorly the PS5 and Series X|S are doing in Japan, why wouldn't they just wait until the Switch 2 announcement to pull that trigger? 

And speaking of triggers: Chrono Trigger. 30 next year. HD-2D time. Do that thing S-E. I swear to Magus. DO. THAT. THING.

So, outside of Nintendo themselves and straight-up ports, does anyone else have any ideas of other companies or games they feel in their bones are holding back for the announcement of this thing?

I'd seriously hate to be the person needing to liaise with these companies to curate third-party support and potentially be turning so many big names away for a big, January 2017 Switch Presentation sort of event, but you just know that their inbox is packed full after the success of the Switch. It well and truly feels like just about anything is on the table this time around. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2024 at 6:28 PM, Julius said:

So, outside of Nintendo themselves and straight-up ports, does anyone else have any ideas of other companies or games they feel in their bones are holding back for the announcement of this thing?

The only one I can think of is maybe new Monster Hunter. It's been 4 years since Rise was released. Saying that, Capcom may not want to promote 2 MH games at the same time.