NEurope
Julius

Your 2020 Gaming Diary

I see it's time for "let's play and Platinum all the short/easy games so i can get to 399 Platinums before FFVII is released"-March :D

Edit: Damn, I started a new page. GO BACK AND READ HERO-OF-TIME'S LATEST ENTRY ON THE PREVIOUS PAGE.

Edited by drahkon

Just now, drahkon said:

I see it's time for "let's play and Platinum all the short/easy games so i can get to 399 Platinums before FFVII is released"-March :D

Kinda. It's just what's in my backlog and i'm starting with the shortest ones first.

I'm also currently playing Deponia which i'll probably get finished once I get in from work. :p I've already drawn up a list of games that i'm planning on playing through and downloaded a bunch from my library on the PS4. Don't think i've ever had so many games sitting on my PS4 dashboard all at once. :D 

I'm honestly not sure if i'll pull it off as I refuse to boost it by buying cheap and easy plat games. Doing that so that FFVIII was my 350th plat nearly killed me. The rule for this is that if it's in my backlog/library on my PS4 then it's fair game. Plus, Monster hunter World Iceborne keeps adding new events on a weekly basis and I keep needing to sink time into that due to them offering crown sized monsters. Stupid limited time events. This is why I hate GaaS mechanics in a games as i'm forced to play the game when the publisher/developers dictate. :( 

Still, i'm eager to see how far I get with this as it is a good way to encourage me to clear some of my backlog.

• Thanks 1

It would be hilarious if I do somehow pull this off and then FFVII doesn't actually have a platinum. :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Hero-of-Time I played Minit last year and all I have to say is.

I agree with you on this game, which is remarkable enough and should be the only reason people should play it.

• Haha 1

I polished off Mario Tennis Aces last night. 

I hadn't done a few of the final levels and the extra content (which I'm guessing may be DLC?) in the story mode. Even though the mode itself was quite disappointing overall, the challenges were pretty fun and the difficulty level ramped up nicely towards the end. The boss battles are well implemented and I LOVE the mini-games with the rings and the gates on the opposite side of the course.

I've dipped into a few games Vs. COM and the game is still really solid, plays such a good game of tennis that is easy to pick up and incredibly difficult to master. So many systems to balance at one time. I get my arse handed to me on the hardest difficulty but it's clearly because I'm not competent enough. I know what I NEED to do to win, but in the heat of the match, I make too many mistakes. The inclusion of the meter is genius and balancing it against your opponent is the key to victory. 

It's a shame the online died so quickly, I was ranked #1 in Russia for a couple of months, but it's impossible to even get a game now and when you do, it's against an absolute pro. Waste of time :laughing:

Easily the best game in the series in terms of mechanics, but it lacked the charm and additional stuff that were found in the N64 and GC versions.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Easily the best game in the series in terms of mechanics, but it lacked the charm and additional stuff that were found in the N64 and GC versions.

I know most people like the GC version the best but I still think that none of the games have beaten the original on the N64. The gameplay on that game was just so tight and it never really felt cheap or frustrating. Bums me out just how far the series has fallen. :( 

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I know most people like the GC version the best but I still think that none of the games have beaten the original on the N64. The gameplay on that game was just so tight and it never really felt cheap or frustrating. Bums me out just how far the series has fallen. :( 

N64 Mario Tennis still has the best model of Boo.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's face is HUGE!

But Mario Power Tennis gave us the best voice for Boo.
So I'm not sure which one is better...

• Haha 2

Final Fantasy VII Remake Demo was really good. Hopefully this translates over into the full game.

Also, there were some *ahem* "technical difficulties" regarding this LP episode of Metroid Prime 2...

(Anyone who's played the game knows exactly why this thumbnail has been used and which enemy it's referring to...)

• Haha 2

Cross-posting from the General PC Thread as I’m guessing not many people venture in there :D plus I wouldn’t have had an update in here for a while otherwise.

I’ve been playing Halo: Combat Evolved in the Master Chief Collection on Steam and it’s amazing. Pressing the back button switches between original and updated graphics , well... textures to be more precise (I’m guessing the updated stuff is the anniversary edition gfx). I thought it was quite ugly when I first started the campaign but ooooh boy, those original graphics are NOT how I remember them... It's aged poorly. I remember the bump mapped textures and "realistic grass" looking amazing at the time. Not anymore  Amazing how far we’ve come.

I'm now half way through the the Assault on the Control Room and remembering why this is one of the best FPS games of all time. I was blown away at the time and this has hit me right in the nostalgia. I haven't played this game since 2005, I think. I got it for Xmas 2004 shortly after getting a second hand Xbox. The game was in my stocking along with Michael Jackson's greatest hits album . Playing the first level to Bad and Don't Stop Til You Get Enough will forever been ingrained in my memory. Combination of a lifetime. Stuck the album on for a trip down memory lane, take me back...

The game is an absolute masterpiece and it’s easy to see why it was so loved at the time. The gameplay still holds up today. Despite the corridor nature of some areas, the world is interesting, unique and tells a story without the need for heaps of cutscenes and dialogue. The way the game forces you to learn the enemies, their attack patterns and their audio cues is something that makes it very much feel like a game and not an interactive movie. Punishingly difficult at times, but never cheap, something I don’t think they replicated as the series went on. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This month, I spent some time practising for an important Smash Bros. tourney... I didn't do well at all, but the friendly matches I got after the fact were fantastic (including some valuable tips for my Incineroar), so I'm pretty satisfied. That's my monthly excuse as to why I didn't play much Three Houses :heh: I'm now back on it, though. And I also have two games I officially finished in February:

Dragon Ball Fighterz

when-you-discover-that-android-21-is-onl
This joke's older than her, but it's still funny

The story mode, specifically. It was a slog to get through, with repetitive battles against easy opponents, over and over again. I appreciate the Zeni I got out of it, and the fact that it's a completely original story for a change (as opposed to the nth retelling of Z), but this could have been considerably less painful. It also highlighted that this game gives very little incentive to have you experiment with characters, as the Story Mode convinced me to use Freeza more... but other characters, such as Kid Buu, Beerus, or Trunks lack the same treatment.

Two things about it were worth it, though. First, while the plot faffed around a bit, the writing was legitimately good, especially the optional support conversations event dialogues, which was what kept me going for a good while (some favourites include Grandpa Piccolo, Ginyu triggering PTSD due to Cell looking like a frog, Freeza flirting with Yamcha, and Gohan fanboying over Ginyu's poses). In fact, it's the first time in a long time that I was this invested in Freeza's character.

Second, Android 21 is a really appealing character, and I was happy to know a bit more about her deal. The rapport she built with the other androids was great, her voracious villain side was great, her fighting style is fun and unique... I just wish the story didn't leave so many holes behind. Like, what's the point in not ever confirming she was made with Buu cells? Would neatly explain her appearance and a major part of her character. Also, the story implies it, but doesn't want to confirm she was made to resemble Gero's wife, which is a pity. Alas, Dragon Ball doesn't really want to explore complex or deep themes, but I'm glad some AI-related dilemmas were at least discussed in-story.

I unlocked a Hard Mode by the end, but haha not gonna touch that.

In a nutshell, my rating of Fighterz is...

Presentation...5/5
Gameplay.......5/5
Menus & UI.....1/5
Story...............3/5
Story Mode.....1/5

In a way, this game's just like Android 21: Looks amazing, really fun to play with, deep and rewarding if you pay attention and put in the time. There are a lot of really obvious annoying niggles about it that don't make any sense, but they ultimately barely affect your overall enjoyment.

Definitely a game I'll be picking up from time to time (and yes, I know Season 3 just arrived. Yes, I'm maining Kefla, and there's nothing you can say to dissuade me)

Advance Wars: Dark Conflict

SI_NDS_AdvanceWarsDarkConflict_image1600

The real Dark Conflict is this messy, messy cover

The gritty reboot of Advance Wars, released in 2008. While I played Dual Strike for hundreds of hours, I never got around to playing this one. I mean, Dual Strike already looked like the pinnacle of the series, and this one just came to change the formula for no good reason? And it looked ugly and generic, too. Many years later, @MoogleViper said this was one of the games he was selling, and since I wanted to check it off my list for good, I bought it from him... about 18 months ago. Time to actually check it off my backlog.

First impressions... yeah, definitely ugly. The units look like cheap 3D, the maps look brown, and the Battle animations are dreadfully static and uninteresting. Second impressions were much better, once I realized units went back to the classic sprites once I zoomed out, battle animations could be turned off, and that the desolate maps became more appealing once I internalized the serious, post-apocalyptic atmosphere the game was going for. Now, a lot of the game's looks still feel rough around several edges (story mode plays like a visual novel with blurry backgrounds, and the character portraits don't look right when they change expressions), but I was quick to forget it. I would go on to learn there were more types of map than just "wasteland", and in no time, I was addicted to the classic raw Advance Wars fun of old.

Anyway, I decided to try out the Single-Player campaign and... You know, I tend to forget this often, but... I actually love post-apocalyptic stories (except zombie apocalypses, I can't stand those). Tales of survivors doing their best to find meaning in a drastically changed and ruined world ring well with me for some reason. So when the story starts shortly after the end, with a volunteer militia looking for survivors among the rubble, I was taken right away. Then they comment on how groups of survivors have gathered and formed new villages, and how those villages already have laws against theft and murder, leading to a discussion on whether this is a result of pragmatic human selfishness, or if human kindness is a real non-constructed concept... And this is just Chapter 3, 20 minutes into the game.

As we progress through the game, we see other heavy themes being explored, like the concept (and fragility) of nations, the nature of war and how a senseless conflict can be maintained by the (non-)actions of normally sensible people, the effects of mob mentality (topically enough, involving a virus epidemic), the failures of autocratic governance... I was mightily impressed by the maturity in this story and setting. Very strong characters too, such as our main character Ed being the right sort of idealistic protagonist (having his worldview challenged at every turn, only to convincingly respond in kind), or the cold pragmatic advisor Lin (who's a lot like Soren from Fire Emblem). I was hooked all the way through.

I was really impressed by the setting. Unlike previous entries in the franchise, our COs treat these battles like actual war, with concern for individual units and whatnot. None of that "Let's have a friendly match, old chap!" or "What's an airport?" nonsense from previous games. This time, I actually feel guilty if one of my units dies on me, as the game does a good job in making me care, whether because of the writing, or the mechanics (more on that later).

Unfortunately, the story does stumble a bit in the last 5 chapters or so, eschewing the nuanced conflicts we'd seen until that point in the favour of a more linear, cookie-cutter supervillain plotline for the final arc. Maybe it's nitpicking, as it doesn't sour what came before, but it is a noticeable shift in tone.

Spoiler

I mean, we spent the entire story talking about food shortages, dwindling supplies, and the collapse of civilisation... only for this asshole Stolos to just drop a functioning Wily Castle on us? Also, a huge bomber we infiltrate with troops of our own for a wacky battle in midair? Only the stryx gun had some backstory: unfinished prototype just sitting around, waiting for completion, but everything else we see is just unexplained comic book mad science. Fun missions for sure, I'm just not sure if "fun" was the right emotion to go for the final arc.

Oh, and we get some cloning drama out of this, which is good high-concept sci-fi... but also at odds with the rest of the game's setting.

A few notes about the writing: this game was released around that phase where Nintendo of Europe wanted to do its own translations, separate from Treehouse's translations for the US market. The result is two separate scripts: the European script (Dark Conflict) is a pretty direct translation of the original, whereas the American one (Days of Ruin) gives the characters a bit more spice, along with more occasional humour. To be frank... I actually prefer the American script, from what little I've seen of it. The European sounds fine, but it is quite dry, with little room for nuance. It even contains a line that sounds like sociopathic nonsense ("He's a really good guy, huh? You wouldn't suspect it, with his unfunny jokes." I'm guessing the Japanese script meant "dependable guy"). The differences become really noticeable during that final arc, which ramps up the drama, and Days of Ruin handles it much better. On the other hand, Dark Conflict did choose some better names here and there ("Independent Legion", "Larissa" and "Sigismundo" being the most notable ones).

On that note, I recommend reading this interview with lead American translator Tim O'Leary, who has some interesting insight into this game's development. Namely, that Intelligent Systems felt personally attacked at all the criticism that "Advance Wars. Advance Wars never changes", and that's what lead them to reinvent the franchise with this title (apparently by asking themselves "What is war, exactly?" and working from there).

Oh yeah, I guess I can finally start talking gameplay! I mean, sure, it's the good ol' traditional addictive Advance Wars we know and love, except... they actually revamped the gameplay the same way they revamped the setting. They actually took a long hard look at the system and did their best to redesign it. For example, Infantry units are now slightly more expensive, Mid and Mega Tanks are cheaper, Missiles have a ton of range now, etc. to the point where almost every unit feels like they were redesigned for the better (especially the sea units). They removed the OP units (no more Neo Tanks, Black Bombs, Black Boats or *shudder* Stealth Bombers), while adding several new interesting and balanced units (Motorbikes, Missile Boats, Flares, etc).

And they did a lot more than that: for example, there's now a "Promotion" system, where a unit that killed another will "gain a rank", becoming slightly more powerful (each unit can be promoted up to 3 times). Brilliant mechanic, as it A. Discourages campy gameplay, since you need to be aggressive to gain these bonuses; and B. Actually encourage to not treat your units like fodder (if a rank 2 unit is on its last legs, it's best to heal or join than to use it as a meatshield), which ties well with the themes of the story. They also reworked water maps to include "foggy" and "turbulent" terrain tiles, so sea battles have a lot more depth (heh) to them now. APCs can now build "Temporary Ports/Airports", which finally allow your non-land units to heal without occupying a factory. Fog of War is so much better now! Before, you could only see your units' current field of vision, but now you can also see tiles that your units have seen while moving! In other words, you can effectively "scout" an area with a single unit.

Arguably, the biggest change of all has to do with the new CO system. Before, your CO would permanently grant their unique bonuses to their own units across the board, while occasionally activating their CO power... but this game works very differently. You must now assign your CO to one of your units (could be anything, a Tank, a Bomber, even an APC), and that unit will emit an AOE around itself: your CO bonuses only have effect inside of this area. So, if you use the indirect weapons expert, those Artillery units only get stronger if your CO is nearby. How large the AOE is depends on the CO, some having wide range, others being quite narrow (this is part of the balance). You still have a meter (which only fills when battles happen inside that sphere of influence) and you can unleash your traditional CO power (which affects the entire map) when it's full.

I must say, all of these changes made for a very welcome breath of fresh air. As fun as Dual Strike was, it was horribly imbalanced, with a ton of OP strategies to exploit. But this game actually made an effort to have balance, and its tactical value is much richer for it. Throughout the story mode, you unlock a variety of "Trial Maps", which are basically a series of fun and varied challenging maps that take advantage of every gameplay facet on offer, and they really highlight how deep this game can be.

Finally - and this is a lukewarm point to end on - the music is actually pretty forgettable. The series has given us so many jolly, varied, and memorable tunes, but Dark Conflict breaks away from that. This soundtrack is much more understated... with the exception of Catleya's and Lili's themes, which are both absolutely sublime. Some others have decent themes, but on the whole, my reaction was mostly mild.

Gameplay.......5/5
Presentation...2/5
Story...............5/5
Writing (EU)....3/5
Writing (US)....4/5

So yeah, as you can tell by this point, I actually loved this game, might be my favourite Advance Wars yet. Unfortunately, I don't think it got the love and respect it deserved back when it was released, and I can understand why: a reboot so soon after the previous game? Furthermore, Nintendo Directs weren't a thing back then, and without that personal touch, it was hard to convey this game's qualities via screenshots, magazines and reviews alone.

And now that I've completed it, maybe I can go back to Fire Emblem :heh: Maybe

My 2020 log (Hide contents)

Played/Beat/Completed:

-Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (2018) Completed (January 13th)

-Mr.Driller: Drill Spirits (2004) Beat (January 30th)

-Dragon Ball Fighterz (2018) Beat (February 22nd)

-Advance Wars: Dark Conflict (2008) Completed (February 25th)

Currently Playing:

-Fire Emblem: Three Houses (2019)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Uploaded another episode of Metroid Prime 2 Echoes this evening and it's one in which I came to a stupid realisation over. There was something pretty obvious throughout this game that I had forgotten to scan until this point... whoops!

Also, though I've done the diode puzzles in Sanctuary Fortress before I could never remember the simple solutions to them and always stumbled into the correct path.

I think Sanctuary Fortress has by far the longest opening section of any area in Prime 2. You go through a LOT of content before you even reach the temple to get the translator module and then almost immediately you are thrown into one of the most annoying boss battles in the entire game. I suppose it does make sense as they want the temples to get harder and harder to get to with each new area, so in this one you need to finish one entire floor, travel up to the higher floor but oh wait, you can't because you need to do it in the Dark World to get around a particular door, then go back into the light world in the process. It says something that it takes two Save Stations in the Fortress area itself before you even reach the temple.

• Thanks 1

Really enjoyed your writeup about Advance Wars Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict @Jonnas! And I agree with everything you’ve said.

People complain about it abandoning the happy-go-lucky vibe that the series was known for, but by this point? The series was starting to look a bit tired.  We had been coming off of 3 very similar mainline releases within the last 4 years (plus the Gamecube spinoffs as well); it was really time for something different.

Advance Wars Dual Strike in particular had also really gone off the deep end; throwing all notion of balance completely out of the window and was just utterly jam packed with everything and the kitchen sink.  While it was great for its sheer range of utterly overwhelming options & systems, and its staggering amount of gameplay content, it was completely unbalanced and also basically impenetrable for newcomers.  It was clearly designed for super fans who had bought and mastered all of the previous games.  Going back to basics was absolutely the right decision for Days or Ruin/Dark Conflict and it absolutely needed to happen.

And really? Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin never actually went “Grimdark”, as the naysayers say.  Rather? It actually had a tone that was more similar to the Fire Emblem games; yes, the story took itself seriously, but it was still filled with colourful characters and moments of levity sprinkled throughout (especially in the US localisation; instead of the vastly inferior EU version).

The decision to make an entirely separate localisation for the EU version still absolutely baffles me though.  I honestly don’t know what they were thinking; the resources spent on Dark Conflict would’ve been far better spent on localising Soma Bringer! And the EU script is total arse compared to Treehouse’s far superior work; it’s so dull and dry, totally flavourless and uninteresting.  Complete waste of time & resources that ended up producing a far inferior product.  This is one game I am very glad I imported back in the day!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Advance Wars Dual Strike in particular had also really gone off the deep end; throwing all notion of balance completely out of the window and was just utterly jam packed with everything and the kitchen sink.  While it was great for its sheer range of utterly overwhelming options & systems, and its staggering amount of gameplay content, it was completely unbalanced and also basically impenetrable for newcomers.  It was clearly designed for super fans who had bought and mastered all of the previous games.  Going back to basics was absolutely the right decision for Days or Ruin/Dark Conflict and it absolutely needed to happen.

I think part of the reason this move wasn't well received back then had to do a lot with the idea that, without some additional flashy pizzazz, it might've felt like Days of Conflict was a change for the sake of change (I mean, coupled with market trends like the "brown FPS", or that awful gritty Bomberman reboot, I can see why it would be met with resistance).

If it had been a 3DS launch title, or if it had promised "more online/multiplayer focus", I think that would've publicly justified the change from a marketing standpoint. Even the naysayers would be obligated to give it a chance before writing it off.

9 hours ago, Dcubed said:

The decision to make an entirely separate localisation for the EU version still absolutely baffles me though.  I honestly don’t know what they were thinking; the resources spent on Dark Conflict would’ve been far better spent on localising Soma Bringer! And the EU script is total arse compared to Treehouse’s far superior work; it’s so dull and dry, totally flavourless and uninteresting.  Complete waste of time & resources that ended up producing a far inferior product.  This is one game I am very glad I imported back in the day!

Sigismundo, tho :blank:

All jokes aside, I think I understand the viewpoint. You might recall that, with the advent of internet, Europeans were more aware than ever of games that took months to arrive in our shores, and a good chunk of us kept wondering "How come they don't release the US version, then? It's already in English!" (I definitely remember getting into arguments back then, in this very forum). I figure the decision for EU translations was to make sure European releases went more smoothly, as well as to give them a more distinct flavour compared to US scripts.

While the decision would end up fruitful in cases like Xenoblade, it ultimately really was just a temporary solution to a problem borne of stubborn inefficiency. When companies finally realised they could use the internet to treat their worldwide fandoms uniformly, it wouldn't do for Marth's wife to be called "Caeda" and "Sheeda" simultaneously in the same language.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Thanks 1

Following on from Jonnas and his DS adventures, this evening I finished....

Mario vs Donkey: Mini-Land Mayhem (DS)

Spoiler

This was one of the few DS games  I recently picked up and I started playing through it this week. I've been taking my DS with me to work and having sessions during my lunch break. Over the weekend I've spent a fair bit of time on the game and the true/final ending has now played.

This has probably been one of my favourite games I've played so far this year. The balance of challenge, freedom, creativity and fun is absolutely spot on. The way you can manipulate the stage in numerous ways in order to get Mini Mario home. 

The game starts off quite simple, with you just having to maneuver girders for Mini Mario to walk on. By the end of the game you have to rotate objects, time platform movement and juggle multiple mini's. There's a fair amount of freedom offered to players. A lot of the time there's not just one way to finish a level and sometimes thinking outside of the box produces some surprising results.

The game features boss fights in the form of a battle with DK himself. These can be quite tricky, mainly due to an element of randomness being introduced. DK hits a switch that can collapse platforms and then you have to quickly scramble to get everything in order. The platforms that do end up getting moved or destroyed are random and that's where the difficulty comes in. It really keeps you on your toes and playing perfectly in order to earn the trophy takes concentration.

There are 8 worlds to play, each with 10 levels to complete. Finish each of these perfectly and you will unlock the special stages, of which they are 20. Finish these and another 10 extra stages are unlocked. Having done all of these and seeing the credits roll I thought I was done. I was wrong.

After beating the game a Plus Mode is unlocked. These levels are harder versions of every level in the game. It requires you to juggle multiple mini characters and get them home in a certain order. Only by doing these levels will you get the true ending. Doing all of these, as well as the normal stages, makes the tally of levels on offer a staggering 220! Crazy value for money.

I thought I hadn't played the game before but looked at my activity log on the 3DS and it turns out I played it back in 2011. I had no idea I owned the thing at some point. Clearly I traded it in. Looking at the data, back then I put 10 hours into the game. I guess I only got the first ending because I've put over 20 hours into my latest run. I guess I didn't feel compelled to get 100% back in 2011. 

As a side note, data like this is why I love the activity log on the 3DS. Being able to look back at what I was playing, what month it was and how long I spent with it makes for interesting reading...at least for me. :p The lack of such a feature on the Switch is such a disappointment. 

Speaking of the Switch, this game is a great example of the types of games and experiences that have been lost when Nintendo killed off their dedicated handheld hardware. These smaller experiences, using Nintendo IP, developed by the smaller teams and partners, is what is really missing on the Switch. It's a void that sadly hasn't been filled. :( 

I'm pretty sure I've never played the GBA original game or the sequel to this one. I did play and enjoy Tipping Stars (was that it's name?) on the Wii U, as well as the amiibo game. I may have to pick up the games I've not played at some point because I really loved playing through this.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm not really a big fan of the Lemmings style Mario VS DK (post-Mario VS DK 2), but I can appreciate that they're solid games for what they are.  It always struck me as a bit weird that they stuck with the Mario VS DK naming, considering that they're basically an entierly different genre from the original DK 94 (and its GBA sequel); I totally get why people were put off by the DS games in that regard.

@Hero-of-Time If you do go back to play the original GBA Mario VS DK, keep in mind that it is a sequel to the original Donkey Kong 94 on the original GB in particular (Which I'm assuming you've played before).  It's not really like the DS games at all and the gameplay is much more similar to DK94.

And yes, I absolutely agree with you about these kinds of games being sadly absent from Switch... While there are still a few games like that being released (like Sushi Striker, Brain Training and Boxboy + Boxgirl), they are sadly far and few inbetween... In fact, outside of the occassional surprise like Ring Fit Adventure, Nintendo have seemingly given up on making original games altogether :( (and from what I've heard? It's only gonna get worse... Let's just say that Nintendo is going full on HAM with the remasters now, and is not producing much new at all anymore, from what I've been hearing...).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Sad 1

Yeah the first Mario VS DK was really good. Not sure if I was just getting fatigue with the later games or they just weren't as good.

16 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Few games like that being released (like Sushi Striker, Brain Training and Boxboy + Boxgirl), they are sadly far and few inbetween... In fact, outside of the occassional surprise like Ring Fit Adventure, Nintendo have seemingly given up on making original games altogether :( (and from what I've heard? It's only gonna get worse... Let's just say that Nintendo is going full on HAM with the remasters now, and is not producing much new at all anymore, from what I've been hearing...).

Indeed. Things like Metroid Prime Trilogy, Paper Mario port, Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World are all rumoured to be hitting the Switch at some point. Not to mention the Xenoblade remaster and the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game we've just received. 

I see you once again got banned over on Era. How many times is that now? :p 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Indeed. Things like Metroid Prime Trilogy, Paper Mario port, Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World are all rumoured to be hitting the Switch at some point. Not to mention the Xenoblade remaster and the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game we've just received. 

I see you once again got banned over on Era. How many times is that now? :p 

What can I say? I'm a grumpy old bastard :p 

16 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

You got banned? What did you even say?!

8 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

You got banned? What did you even say?!

Doesn't matter, I'm sure someone got offended.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

You really are. You're like a different person over there compared to what you're like over here. The question is, which one is the real you? :p 

• Haha 1

ARMS, Ring Fit and Labo  are all pretty original.

And the industry as a whole is obsessed with re-releases at the moment, same with the film industry so that's just what's in at the moment.

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You really are. You're like a different person over there compared to what you're like over here. The question is, which one is the real you? :p 

Depends what mood I'm in :p 

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

ARMS, Ring Fit and Labo  are all pretty original.

And the industry as a whole is obsessed with re-releases at the moment, same with the film industry so that's just what's in at the moment.

Yeah, they are.  They are really the exception though; and Nintendo aren't producing nearly as much original content as in previous generations (even with the merging of their handheld and console game development)... and it's only going to get worse in that regard...

Does make their original output all the more precious though.  Ring Fit Adventure is exactly the kind of game I want to see from them.  Bonkers Nintendo is best Nintendo :D 

Edited by Dcubed

User banned: (3 days) Perpetuating myths regarding game development. Transphobia. History of prior infractions, account in junior phase.

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Yeah, they are.  They are really the exception though; and Nintendo aren't producing nearly as much original content as in previous generations (even with the merging of their handheld and console game development)... and it's only going to get worse in that regard...

• Haha 3