Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Mario Run (iOS/Android)

Ashley

Laughable? Why? There are some very deep mobile games. How much would you say it's worth? Based on a couple of quick trailers that is.

If I want a "deep" game on the go I'll use my 3DS.

For £8 it needs to look much better than what's been shown.

When Minecraft Pocket Edition is £4.99 this at £8 is indeed laughable.

When Splatoon was £20something, this is laughable at £8!

I'm really keen to see how this does at this price point. It's definitely well outside of impulse buy territory at $10 - that amount can go really far in gaming these days. It's almost like they're testing what people will stand to access the brand outside of Nintendo's ecosystem.

I'm really keen to see how this does at this price point. It's definitely well outside of impulse buy territory at $10 - that amount can go really far in gaming these days. It's almost like they're testing what people will stand to access the brand outside of Nintendo's ecosystem.

They can easily cut the price later if they want though, right? So they could well be testing the waters with this £8 mark, maybe looking to see how it sells at different prices or giving them an opportunity to discount it for sales or permanently later on?

$10... for a fucking runner game?

Christ, I hope Nintendo go completely mobile, if even the core fans are willing to pony up that much for an application that many others offer for free purely on this basis that it's a Nintendo title, I worry about the future of the Switch.

Christ, I hope Nintendo go completely mobile, if even the core fans are willing to pony up that much for an application that many others offer for free purely on this basis that it's a Nintendo title, I worry about the future of the Switch.

It's probably a stretch, but I suspect deep down that maybe, this might have a bit more quality than those free endless runners filled with ads and IAP that litter the app store. Maybe.

It's probably a stretch, but I suspect deep down that maybe, this might have a bit more quality than those free endless runners filled with ads and IAP that litter the app store. Maybe.

No doubt. But still, 8 quid for a mobile game seems steep.

$10 quality though? Doubtful.

If this game does well enough to sell for the full access price, which I'm pretty sure it will, this could potentially be disastrous for core Nintendo fans but great for Nintendo as a business.

Maybe this'll get them to release Pokemon R/B/Y on Smartphones, that'll make gangbusters and I'll buy them again.

There are games at the price on the app store, what's the issue? People would bitch if they released a cheap cash in for 99p. Maybe this implies it's going to have far more content/depth and should be pleasing. Also people should be happy that companies aren't willing to cheapen their art and hard work, hopefully they'll inspire other companies to charge more. This industry can't survive on 99p downloads.

Also, people calling it a runner. This isn't an endless runner, this isn't canabalt, or jungle run or whatever. This is a platformer, with levels, and objectives. We shouldn't categorise them all the same.

$10 quality though? Doubtful.

If this game does well enough to sell for the full access price, which I'm pretty sure it will, this could potentially be disastrous for core Nintendo fans but great for Nintendo as a business.

Maybe this'll get them to release Pokemon R/B/Y on Smartphones, that'll make gangbusters and I'll buy them again.

£8, half the price of a cinema ticket, the cost of a lunch or two, for hours and hours of entertainment. Seems fine to me. The race to the bottom for mobile games is really sad to see and I'm glad Nintendo are bucking the trend.

Yeah, I'm pretty confident the price will be justified by the content of this game. Reckon it'll be somewhere in-between what's expected from a mobile title and a full retail game, in which case the price should be spot-on.

I'm viewing it more like an eShop title really.

I really don't think this should be considered a runner game. It's far closer to being a full 2D Mario game than it is a runner like Temple Run. It has set levels, worlds, different modes etc, it's not just one randomly generated "hit play and see how far you get".

I really don't think this should be considered a runner game. It's far closer to being a full 2D Mario game than it is a runner like Temple Run. It has set levels, worlds, different modes etc, it's not just one randomly generated "hit play and see how far you get".

That's a fair point that I hadn't really considered but still, £8? For my tastes it's a little too much personally.

£8, half the price of a cinema ticket

I get your point about value, but I had a laugh at this.

EDIT: You're from London, please don't tell me you see your movies exclusively at Leicester Square.

Edited by Debug Mode
Automerged Doublepost

• 3 weeks later...

More characters will be available to play as in the game and Toad is unlocked via My Nintendo. Finally something decent to spend my coins on!

I guess Nintendo are trying to appeal to the Pokemon GO crowd with this commercial as it's very similar to it. Pretty cool, though.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Lots of new details, including Kingdom Builder:

– There are ways to briefly disrupt Mario’s ever-forwards movement and different paths through each level to follow, usually in pursuit of some hard-to-snag collectible

– These are exceptions rather than the norm

– Mario can roll jump, long jump, vault jump, perform a landing roll, parkor roll over enemies or pull off a stall jump to slow things down

– Can even mantle up onto ledges

– Most diverse 2D move-set ever for Mario

– Pause Blocks let you take a second to breathe and analyze the level in front of you

– They usually appear before a collectible you’ll need to react quickly to reach

– Use your new stall jump move by tapping and dragging backwards to slow Mario’s speed

– Can use one of Mario’s life bubbles to float backwards and take another crack at a collectible

– 24 levels at launch

– Play the first four for free

– No free-to-play mechanics, no in-game currency

– World Tour: face your friends’ level times and high-scores

– Toad Rally bases its levels on those of the main game, but offers twists to different sections to always keep you on your toes

– The object here is more about completing the level with more style

– Get points for stylish jumps, enemies stomped, coins collected and all number of other things

– Progress then gets totted up in the form of Toads who come to watch your run

– The winner between you and a friend (or other random player) gets to keep all the Toads as inhabitants of your own Mushroom Kingdom

– Kingdom Builder lets you spend the coins you collect on features for your own little Mushroom Kingdom

– Trees and warp pipes up to new Toad Houses available

– Toad Houses offer bonuses every so often

– Homes for unlockable characters such as Yoshi and Luigi

– You’ll need a certain level of Toad population before you can unlock the more elaborate objects

– A high enough level of Toads will even allow you to expand your miniature Mushroom Kingdom into multiple screens

Link

More characters will be available to play as in the game and Toad is unlocked via My Nintendo. Finally something decent to spend my coins on!

I guess Nintendo are trying to appeal to the Pokemon GO crowd with this commercial as it's very similar to it. Pretty cool, though.

What is going on with Nintendo marketing right now?

The difference between now and 2012 is huge!!!