NEurope

It's cheaper but finite, the most you can put in a PS4 right now is 2TB, there are no bigger 2.5" HDDs that fit.

I prefer not changing disks, I don't like the clutter or hassle and I would have a fully digital game catalogue if I could, but at the moment I don't think the price point supports it.

I remember when there was a big promotion and competition for Uncharted 4, pre-order to be entered to win prizes. But that was only for digital pre-orders, which had a price point of £60 (currently in a "sale" at £50). All that effort and marketing for a promotion and the price made it ridiculous. It's £26.85 now on shopto.

Physical copies can quickly decrease in price, because physical space costs money to those selling it (warehouse space). They need to shift those units.

Digital copies will sit there forever, taking up no extra space (well, a small amount on a server somewhere), so they have no need to drop the price.

As Dr.Bob says and that its a channel most companies don't have access to. Companies fight for shelf space and the big publishers mostly try to retain space. Much higher sales potential.

So far though digital is huge and the situation is improved.

I fully disagree on Nintendo being cheap. They took part in price fixing several times..

I'm not knowledgeable on any price fixing issues but I do know that throughout the lifespan of both the Wii and Wii U I've been able to pick up many games on release day for prices between £24.99-£34.99.. and sometimes even less, such as with Splatoon :hehe:

All I was really trying to say is that paying something like £50 for a game isn't something I can justify, especially with a house and child to pay for. The fact that game prices haven't really changed much over the last 2 decades doesn't really alter that!

I suspect NX games may cost more than Wii and Wii U, though.

I'm not knowledgeable on any price fixing issues but I do know that throughout the lifespan of both the Wii and Wii U I've been able to pick up many games on release day for prices between £24.99-£34.99.. and sometimes even less, such as with Splatoon :hehe:

All I was really trying to say is that paying something like £50 for a game isn't something I can justify, especially with a house and child to pay for. The fact that game prices haven't really changed much over the last 2 decades doesn't really alter that!

You are comparing RRP to prices you've managed to buy games for at launch which isnt really the same. We all get games for around say £30-35 if we shop around at launch, nobody pays £50 for games.

Nah they're definitely doing something - they make a big deal of select Wii U titles entering their 'classics' range after a couple of years, which means they drop to £20. Meanwhile, most PS4 games can be got for less than £20 after a much shorter period of time (sometimes after just a few months).

You can usually pick up new PS4 games for £35-40 on release as well if you shop around or place preorders when sites have coupons running (which I did for Deus ex).

You are comparing RRP to prices you've managed to buy games for at launch which isnt really the same. We all get games for around say £30-35 if we shop around at launch, nobody pays £50 for games.

Yeah, this is correct. I've bought many games at launch this generation and have paid in that ballpark of £30-£35. I don't know if it's just limited to this generation (since I was TeamWii last gen), but online shopping has been fantastic for gaming, at least for me anyway. I can buy games much closer to release without having to wait for weeks/months for price drops or preowned editions.

360/PS3 games used to drop to £18 2 weeks after they were released. All you had to do was a bit. Good times.

360/PS3 games used to drop to £18 2 weeks after they were released. All you had to do was a bit. Good times.

Yep, I remember the short wait after launch and then buying games from Play.com for £17.99.

EA exec reassures everone these upgraded consoles are a good thing for the industry

Nice to see he's got the same line of thinking as a lot of people.

Although I couldn't help but look at the Dreamcast logo.

Howdy! As you may know, PlayStation Meeting is happening tomorrow in New York City at the PlayStation Theater. It’s only open to members of the press, but we also wanted to open the invitation to PlayStation fans to watch live.

So here’s your invite! Join us at live.playstation.com tomorrow, September 7, starting at 12:00pm Pacific / 3:00pm Eastern.

And stick around after the presentation for a special episode of PlayStation LiveCast. See you tomorrow!

It is time!

Neo-flying.gif

Hoping they announce its coming out in late October alongside 'The Last Guardian', will be perfect timing for me as I should have £500 odd to spend on a console then.

I really hope they go with Slim at $200 and Neo at $400, I reckon they'll be a little more than that though.

Well the good news is that the price differential is small. £90 more for a 1Tb Pro vs 500gb Slim. Going by Amazon. Even smaller difference with 1tb slim at £40!

Edited by Choze

Confused as to why they're still selling them with 500GB and 1TB hard drives when a lot of us upgraded our PS4s to 2TB years ago for a relatively low price.

Am glad to see there's 3 USB 3.1 ports though. Assuming that finally means one on the back so I could hide the headphone dongle.... Bluetooth 4 as well, actually catching up with current tech for a change.

Here's the full tech specs:

Main processor: Single-chip custom processor

CPU: x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores

GPU: 4.20 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon ™ based graphics engine

Memory: GDDR5 8GB

Hard Disk: 1TB × 1

External dimensions: About 295mm × 55mm × 327mm (width × height × depth)

Weight: about 3.3kg

Optical drive (read-only)

BD 6-speed CAV

DVD 8 speed CAV

Input and output:

Super-Speed USB (USB 3.1 Gen1) port × 3

AUX port × 1

Communication:

Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)

IEEE 802.11 a / b / g / n / ac

Bluetooth® 4.0 (LE)

Power supply:

AC 100V, 50 / 60Hz

Power consumption: up to 310W

Operating environment temperature: 5 ℃ – 35 ℃

AV output:

HDMI® output terminal (4K / HDR output)

Optical digital output terminal

Power consumption: up to 310W

Fuuuuuuck! :eek:

Captain Planet ain't gonna be happy about that. :grin:

Energy suppliers on the other hand...

Rise of the Tomb Raider gives you graphics/frame-rate options on PS4 Pro

The first of these is 4K Resolution mode, which targets 30 frames-per-second and runs at a 4K resolution, though it’s unclear if it’s going to be native 4K or not, however unlikely.

Then there’s Enriched Visuals mode, which also caps the frame-rate at 30 frames-per-second, but pairs it with a 1080p resolution. Finally, there’s High Frame-rate mode, which targets 60 frames-per-second at the same 1080p resolution.

Crystal Dynamics said that the High Frame-rate mode may not always reach the target 60fps, but frame-rate should be north of 45 frames-per-second.

Hopefully more games will have these options available. It works great in Nioh and I think every game should have this feature.

ps4_pro_enhanced_logo_1-600x325.png

Sticker to be on PS4 Pro enhanced games (obviously).

Sony are doing a nice job to make things clear. : peace:

For a minute there I thought that was the successor to the PS4 Pro lol

Yeah I think GAME employees are going to be barraged with a lot of annoying questions if that's the logo.

Nice job Sony with that sticker.

Can someone explain the difference between 4K gaming on the Scorpio and 4K gaming on the Pro? Is it the same thing? I heard Microsoft were boasting about the Scorpio having "true 4K", any idea what that means?