NEurope

The Pro does not do true 4K for everything; they use some techniques to improve visuals with a resolution that is still far above 1080p but below 4K.

What they have done seemed to really impress Digital Foundry who attended the event, to the point that I think they've probably done the right thing (aiming for that £349 price tag).

Edited by Sheikah

Interesting, I didn't realise that. So we have a 4K system, that doesn't play 4K Blurays, that doesn't render games at 4K and who's main selling point of HDR gaming will be available to every other Playstation 4 system with a patch. What a pointless mess this thing is. Surely PS5 can't be far behind, they'll need something to compete with Scorpio because this certainly isn't it.

Interesting, I didn't realise that. So we have a 4K system, that doesn't play 4K Blurays, that doesn't render games at 4K and who's main selling point of HDR gaming will be available to every other Playstation 4 system with a patch. What a pointless mess this thing is. Surely PS5 can't be far behind, they'll need something to compete with Scorpio because this certainly isn't it.

How much are Microsoft paying you?

How much are Microsoft paying you?

Isn't that a tiny bit harsh? It's a valid point he's making. If you're advertising something as a "4K" machine. Isn't it a little bit strange that it's not achieving true 4K?

Of course, if it lowers the price, then it's fine. But do we know how much the Scorpio is? If it's substantially more expensive than the Pro, I think it might have been a smart move.

Isn't that a tiny bit harsh? It's a valid point he's making. If you're advertising something as a "4K" machine. Isn't it a little bit strange that it's not achieving true 4K?

Of course, if it lowers the price, then it's fine. But do we know how much the Scorpio is? If it's substantially more expensive than the Pro, I think it might have been a smart move.

By your own confession you haven't been following this - Ronnie has been doing this over and over for the past day. He's coming across way too eager to make a point that nobody is buying. He has made the same point while also saying how happy Nintendo must be. It's embarrassingly sycophantic.

To answer your point - it's not actually called PS4K, and some games will support native 4K (while some won't). I think Microsoft's machine will be considerably more expensive based on the spec - if not, Microsoft are taking a big loss. They're also a lot slower to get it to the public, so I think Sony have definitely made the right move, although time will tell on that one.

Based on the Digital Foundry impressions, it seems that what they saw was almost as good as native 4K because of the effects Sony managed to achieve. It was pretty much a game changer.

Edited by Sheikah

Most last gen games weren't running at 1080p. Hell, even this generation most Nintendo games run at 720p. A console compatible running at a certain resolutions doesn't mean that every game runs at that resolution; it's the upper limit. Also, the Scorpio isn't out yet, and it will likely cost a LOT of money when it does eventually release.

@Daft, that TV looks awesome. I've been looking at it for a while actually as our current set could do with replacing. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

By your own confession you haven't been following this - Ronnie has been doing this over and over for the past day. He's coming across way too eager to make a point that nobody is buying. He has made the same point while also saying how happy Nintendo must be. It's embarrassingly sycophantic.

To answer your point - it's not actually called PS4K, and some games will support native 4K (while some won't). I think Microsoft's machine will be considerably more expensive based on the spec - if not, Microsoft are taking a big loss. They're also a lot slower to get it to the public, so I think Sony have definitely made the right move, although time will tell on that one.

Based on the Digital Foundry impressions, it seems that what they saw was almost as good as native 4K because of the effects Sony managed to achieve. It was pretty much a game changer.

Yeah, I've decided that I'm gonna try and pay a bit more attention to the Other Consoles Board. If only so I won't be quite so ignorant in the future.

It's just that I was always under the impression that the Pro was gonna be about 4K, whether that be due to my lack of knowledge or just seeing the wrong kind of assumptions, I don't know. But it was the impression I got.

The price Microsoft give the Scorpio will definitely be a crucial factor into whether it's a success or not. That said, given their latest PR tweets, I kinda want them to crash and burn for instigating more console war nonsense.

Anyway, going to go back about three pages and catch up a tad.

Why does it bother you so much, your not being forced to buy one.

Don't like it? Don't get one.

You still get all the great new games.

did you make this much fuss when every iteration of the 3ds got announced?

So I ordered a 55" Sony 4K HDR TV.

Including delivery it was only £759. So I'm pleased with that.

Awesome man, I look forward to hearing your impressions of it and how it handles the PS4 Pro. I was always going to go get a PS4 Pro if it was out this year but an unexpected consequence of my pre-ordering if is how interested I've become in 4K HDR displays. It's hard to find much info on them for gaming beyond the really expensive ones and if your impressions of it are positive then i'll probably get one myself early next year.

And Ronnie, it does produce 4K resolutions it just does so through clever processing rather than through sheer power. People doubt that the Scorpio will even be able to produce real 4K gaming as top end GPU's have struggled to do so on PC, only a handful of cards are able to do it. So the Scorpio will likely have to use a checkerboard aporoach like the PS4 Pro does to produce 4K images.

The Scorpio is also still a concept, likely not to come out for another 12, maybe 14 months while the PS4 Pro is going to be available for purchase in a matter of weeks. The focus of the products seems to be different for each company too, with Microsoft clearly placing far more importance on Scorpio and Sony positioning the PS4 Pro as an addition to the Playstation family. From reading your posts your should be angrier at Microsoft because from the sounds of the Scorpio they won't be limiting developers by demanding their games also work on the standard Xbox One which could cause a much greater split in the user base than the PS4 Pro will.

Edited by killthenet

Why does it bother you so much, your not being forced to buy one.

Don't like it? Don't get one.

You still get all the great new games.

did you make this much fuss when every iteration of the 3ds got announced?

I won't get one. This is a discussion board, and I'm sharing my views about it, if that's ok with you?

From reading your posts your should be angrier at Microsoft because from the sounds of the Scorpio they won't be limiting developers by demanding their games also work on the standard Xbox One which could cause a much greater split in the user base than the PS4 Pro will.

I'm not angry at Sony, I'm pleased they've given me no reason to upgrade. I'm just perplexed how they think a console like this was necessary or a good idea.

Either start a new generation like Scorpio is (to be joined by PS5 sooner rather than later I suspect) or don't. Not this half way situation the "Neo" was rumoured to be doing.

I'm not angry at Sony, I'm pleased they've given me no reason to upgrade. I'm just perplexed how they think a console like this was necessary or a good idea.

Either start a new generation like Scorpio is (to be joined by PS5 sooner rather than later I suspect) or don't. Not this half way situation the "Neo" was rumoured to be doing.

For months leading up to this announcement you were pissed that Sony was starting a new generation and you were positive that you'd have to spend money because your current PS4 would suddenly be obsolete.

Now you're acting rather salty about the whole thing, and that bolded sentence really beats all. You were certain such rumors were wrong not too long ago.

Further thinking on this. It somewhat reminds me of the Xbox 360, original release was no HDMI and no 1080p. Later on 1080p via component was added through firmware and hardware revisions added in a HDMI port.

Upgraded power was necessary here, but the HDMI hardware also needed to be upgraded for 4K as well. It's a move designed to support more TVs more suitably.

Either start a new generation like Scorpio is

There's still a lot of mystery around Scorpio and how Microsoft plan to position it but we do know:

• It will play Xbox One games
  • It will work with Xbox One accessories an controllers
  • There will be no Scorpio exclusive games

Doesn't sound much like a new generation to me. Of course Microsoft keep saying they want to move away from generations anyway.

[*]There will be no Scorpio exclusive games

Doesn't sound much like a new generation to me. Of course Microsoft keep saying they want to move away from generations anyway.

Yeah about that...

Also the gap between One and Scorpio is rather huge. VR seems uncertain. First party seems plain. Future strategy cloudy.

It may not play at native 4k but it will produce visuals in the living room in a way that you won't be able to do on a 1080p TV or with a normal PS4, and at a more reasonable price point than a 4k capable PC.

I'm just perplexed how they think a console like this was [...] a good idea.

The sales figures will answer this quite succinctly....

Yeah about that...

Also the gap between One and Scorpio is rather huge. VR seems uncertain. First party seems plain. Future strategy cloudy.

What about that?

Choze means to say that Microsoft have actually been unclear on whether titles will be able to support every model of the Xbox One. There have been conflicting statements from Phil Spencer, other Microsoft executives and developers about just how much developers will use the extra horse power.

Edited by killthenet

The sales figures will answer this quite succinctly....

It certainly won't sell big numbers, but will make Sony a few extra quid, which I'm sure was the aim while they prep PS5.

It certainly won't sell big numbers, but will make Sony a few extra quid, which I'm sure was the aim while they prep PS5.

I get the feeling that no matter how well it will do, you will shrug it off as being small. Care to quantify what you think will be small numbers then and how long to achieve them?

I get the feeling that no matter how well it will do, you will shrug it off as being small. Care to quantify what you think will be small numbers then and how long to achieve them?

And I get the feeling that no matter how poorly it will do, you will hype it up as them "cleaning up" this Christmas.

I've no idea how many units they'll sell at launch, but the fact that few people have 4K TVs and the terrible reaction from Playstation Meeting suggests it'll be very niche. It's just a luxury product that's just a bit pointless for the majority of people, certainly ones who already own a PS4 and only have a 1080p TV.

To be fair I think, any sane person could agree, they've already "cleaned up" this generation. Anything else is just topping up.

I really don't know why you bought a PS4 (except maybe for a lack of games elsewhere). You're almost universally critical of anything not on a Nintendo platform, and you pretty much praise anything Nintendo releases.

And before you say "we all hate Nintendo" - no we don't.

A lot of people have 4K TVs, or have interest in them. Most market projections show 4K as a relatively booming market with millions sold worldwide this year. I won't say they aren't a luxury item, but the prices of 4K vs 1080p TVs are extremely close to the point most people in the market for a TV will likely make the jump to 4K.

It's not exactly an emerging market at this point, it's established and growing. As a bullshit guess, I wouldn't be surprised if 4K market penetration now is higher than HDTV (720/1080) penetration was 2005/2006 when the 360 and PS3 released tailored to HDTV gaming.

And I get the feeling that no matter how poorly it will do, you will hype it up as them "cleaning up" this Christmas.

I've no idea how many units they'll sell at launch, but the fact that few people have 4K TVs and the terrible reaction from Playstation Meeting suggests it'll be very niche. It's just a luxury product that's just a bit pointless for the majority of people, certainly ones who already own a PS4 and only have a 1080p TV.

Can eradicate the ambiguity by providing your definition of 'big numbers' for this in advance....?

To be fair I think, any sane person could agree, they've already "cleaned up" this generation. Anything else is just topping up.

I'd agree with that - and I think the PS4Pro is going to do better than some people expect. I think a number of us here aren't big 4k techheads etc but there's a good few of them out there, and I think a lot of them are likely to be into Sony products. I think it's just like us attempting to comment on the general public/'non-core' gamers when it's just a demographic we don't get or aren't part of. I think PS4 will definitely have the most sales of this Christmas season across models, possibly seeing quite a jump in the presumably now cheaper older hardware models. I've just come to realise I can actually probably get a PS4 for the same as, if not less, than a WiiU right now. That's mad!!

A lot of people have 4K TVs, or have interest in them. Most market projections show 4K as a relatively booming market with millions sold worldwide this year. I won't say they aren't a luxury item, but the prices of 4K vs 1080p TVs are extremely close to the point most people in the market for a TV will likely make the jump to 4K.

It's not exactly an emerging market at this point, it's established and growing. As a bullshit guess, I wouldn't be surprised if 4K market penetration now is higher than HDTV (720/1080) penetration was 2005/2006 when the 360 and PS3 released tailored to HDTV gaming.

Personally, I don't. Then again - I didn't have a HDTV to use until 2009; can you imagine my years playing the 360 on an old CRT?! Christ it was horrible in comparison - but then I didn't know the better world until I experienced it. I don't think I'll be getting anything 4k until it's just become an absolute industry standard and I can't actually buy a TV without it(and I've for some reason got the need to buy a new TV).

Edited by Rummy

So in other words you have the gall to say that the Pro was unnecessary and that that you have no idea why Sony is making it, yet now you don't have the balls to go on record for saying how poor you think it'll do. There's a U-turn hiding in plain sight.

It'll probably sell more than the WiiU! :laughing:

I hope so, because if not we won't hear the end of it... :p